Opinions re Burns/Copley Flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
mjmtex

Post by mjmtex »

Hi folks. I am in the market for a second keyless flute in the <$1,000 range. I currently play a three piece rosewood Dixon, and I am pleased with it. The second flute will serve to accomodate non-session playing by my daughter and I. We will most likley share the two instruments. I would like one that would hold its own volume-wise in session playing when/if that ever comes to pass. Besides the money, my only other constraint is hand size. My daugther's hands are ~7.5 inches from pinky tip to thumb tip when fully stretched. I see that Casey Burns has a model designed with smaller hands in mind. Any opinions on his flutes? I am also considering another Dixon or a Copley. I have searched the archives, and I gather that Mr. Copley's flutes are very well crafted and highly regarded in the C&F community. I haven't seen much feedback on the Burns flutes. Any opinions would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Matt
BrianW
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BrianW »

Matt,

I have had a Casey Burns Mopane for a few years now. I've recently sent the Burns off to a friend while I play a new (used) Copley.

The Casey Burns is a wonderful flute. It is learner friendly with a wonderful tone and very managable finger spacing-mine was not a "small hands" model. The tuning is very good. The mopane is beautiful and the workmanship is very nice. Casey's silver rings are a pleasant addition.

I was very happy with the Burns and would recommend him for someone looking to spend less than $1000.00.
ChrisLaughlin
antispam: No

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Have you considered a flute by Gilles LeHart? His flutes are supposed to be very good, and have been played by the likes of Mike McGoldrick and Jean-Michel Veillon. The price is quite reasonable and the waiting list, even for a keyed flute, is very short. He often has unkeyed flutes in stock.
Tim Richards ,mallaller@yahoo.com, was selling one on the woodenflute list a few days ago. Here is his post, edited by me:
"hi everyone,
i will be putting a keyless balckwood Grinter Bb and a keyless lehart D up on ebay in the next few days - thought i'd let you all know in advance.
the keyless Grinter Bb is eighteen months old, no cracks, dings, scuffs, blemishes of any kind and has been oiled regularly. sells new for $1250 US.
the lehart is a keyless D, 13 months old, same story as the Grinter (no problems, racks, etc.). sells new
for about $460 US.
Hate to see them both go, but the boss :wink: says i should reduce the flute population around here by at least half.
any reasonable offers considered before i put them on ebay.
Thanks, and look forward to the list.
Tim"

You might also consider Bryan Byrne, from Vermont. I've tried a couple of his flutes and they were exceptional. I've heard nothing but raves about his flutes. I think he is one of the undiscovered secrets of the flute world. Check his work out here: http://www.uilleann.com/byrne/
Best,
Chris
pdunn

Post by pdunn »

Just chiming in about Lehart flutes. I just recieved a used six keyed flute made by Lehart. I've played a cheap Tom Ganley flute for six or so years now. The Lehart is an awsome instrument, great tone. I no longer have to fight my flute to play in tune and with a nice tone. The post mounted keys look a little rough, but function extremely well. I would recommend them to anyone looking for a lower priced keyed flute.
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Yuk, Ganley flutes! :evil: I hope you used it as firewood when you got your LeHart. :lol:
Chris
pdunn

Post by pdunn »

The Ganley is going to whoever wants it at a session I play at for free. Its pretty horrible but I got used to it after six years. I never bothered to try the third octave on the Ganley flute but does anyone have an idea how to finger any third octave notes specifically on the lehart flute? Some of the fingerings on Terry Mcgee's site work ok any help would be great.
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Six years on a Ganley!?!?!?! Your embouchure is probably so messed up that you'd play an Olwell out of tune :lol:
Chris
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I know I'm late in posting to this thread, but you might want to consider a Hamilton keyless as well. They are currently priced well within your stated range.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
mjmtex

Post by mjmtex »

Thanks all for your feedback. I have had multiple conversations with several makers, including Bryan Byrne, and I've placed an order with him for a Rudall & Rose style keyless D in grenadilla with silver rings and tuning slide. I have exchanged correpsondence with several C&F members and other referrals who have played Olwells, Wilkes and Grinters at one time or another, and they all believe that Bryan's flutes are right up there in this circle. An added plus for me in staying with a domestic maker is that I will very likely be able to get out to his shop to play some flutes before the final tweaking is done. I planted a seed today with my boss that I need to trip to our New Hampshire office this Fall to sort out a few issues. Hmmm..that's only a 2 hour drive to Bryan's shop... :smile: I'll post a review later this year (hopefully by Christmas!)

Cheers,
Matt