Cataloging all the Rudalls

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

Folks, for those who don't already know, I've embarked on a remarkable research project and it's going great. Now I'm enlisting your help and knowledge.
I'm cataloging all the Rudall & Rose flutes (and their derivative names)in the world. Specifically the non-boehm non-carte system variety (can be as few as 4 keys and as many as 14, with finger holes)
I'm collecting locations, names, photos, etc., and already have many dozens located and listed, some presumably lost for years.
Anyway, if you have one of these remarkable flutes, or know where one is located, do let me know so it can be tracked down and included in what promises to become an unprecedented display and historic research tool.
Some of you on list I already know about....hell, I SOLD you the flute! :smile:
But others I might not.
Also, if there are players you're aware of who play a Rudall, let me know.
All replies should be via my email, fyfer@fyfer-restorations.com
Thanks so much. This has really been a fun project, sort of like bird-watching for Rudalls! :smile:
Kindest regards.
gcollins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gcollins »

Dave:

You should hear the disparaging remarks Loren has to say about those old out-of-tune flutes.

I guess that once that Olwell comes in...a couple of months down the road he'll start thinking...is there still something I'm missing in flutedom? :smile:
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

There's much to discover about "flutedom", Greg!
Right now I'm enjoying restoring an original Pratten (serial #49) that I'm anxious to hear when it's done.
There's an original Clementi-Nicholson that came through my hands at one time (with the cool ergonomic stuff on the flute!) that now has a new foot joint made for it by Terry McGee to put it into tune. I've been asked to make it available for sale, so we'll see on that one. As I remember, it was one heck of a player even then. Now I imagine it's awesome.
I'm also trying to find flutes made by Pask, who didn't make many, but he was the flutemaker of choice for Ribas, a Spaniard who was Nicholson's replacement back then. Being a Spaniard myself (thanks, Mom!), I'm interested in having one.
The McNeilly flutes that I had in stock are all gone now with good reviews to them. That's a good thing since i'm not sure if he'll be making more or not. Strong flutes.
I'm still playing my own Rudall (#6206) with the new Olwell head joint. I love it. And the Olwell keyless is my practice flute for the time being. I was using a McNeilly, but that went out the door in a sale.
So, as you can see....so many flutes,. so few lips to play them with! :smile:
WistleEnvy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by WistleEnvy »

Have you seen this site. They have a fairly significant number of Rudall and Rose flutes listed:

http://www.music.ed.ac.uk/euchmi/ubl/ubld2.html
Daniel_Bingamon
antispam: No

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Dave,

Are you going to put this Rudall 'database' on you website?
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

yes, I have....great on-line stuff!
I've been in touch with Univ. Edinburgh curator for several weeks now.
It was actually there that I knew a Pask flute existed, as well as a Hudson-marked Pratten flute, but their Hudson-Pratten is #515 and mine is #49.
I'm trying to find one earlier than mine.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

more help needed for anyone who hasn't already!
The search continues. Today we received the entirety of the Dayton Miller collection sourcing of its Rudall flutes, as well as those at the NY Metropolitan Museum of Art.
My, my.
Some, of course, are in different keys, such as the two in A at the DCM, two in G in a private English collection, and several Bb flutes. Ah yes....and one in F.
Wow.
Blayne Chastain
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Blayne Chastain »

Have you cataloged Catherine McEvoy's?

Hmmm...
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

yes, Blayne, I have :smile:
and a few other "well-known" players
although I've not had any luck reaching Seamus Tansey as yet, and expect to see Joe Burke in Milwaukee

Hey....anyone else planning on being in Milwaukee this year?
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Hi Dave;

There is a family of Rudell's living down the street,do you want their address and pictures?

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

cute, mark
no....not unless they are flutes or related to the actual family.
Somehow I doubt so.