This would be a ineresting design for a metal Conical flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
mcdafydd
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: My wife and I moved back to beautiful Central Vermont and I need to update my Location! Thanks much...

Post by mcdafydd »

I was really keen on trying to procure one of these a while back since a pretty Siour-Chapelain cylindrical, metal, "simple system" (YMMV) appeared on Ebay over a year ago. There are a few of these in the DCM, and a few other examples pictured in popular flute books and I think Langwill's. Most of them are French and cylindrical. It makes sense that some people would've wanted to try and combine the Boehm bore and headjoint with the old fingering. Heck, I love metal and wooden flutes. It's hard not to think that a combination of the two couldn't make a great instrument!

Not having done a lot of academic research on the matter, I wonder if timing had a lot to do with a market never materializing for such an instrument. People were either busy embracing Boehm's flute or sticking with the tried-and-true?

Thanks for pointing this example out, Jon, I didn't come across it before.

Here are some other DCM #s that may be of interest:

DCM 0038: [Djalma Julliot?]
DCM 0139: [Djalma Julliot-Mignolet]
DCM 0258: A. Rampone / Flute in C
DCM 1134: Rudall Rose Carte & Co.
DCM 1260: Cornelius Ward
DCM 1428: Prosper Colas

Other makers are Samual Barnett, Fernand Chapelain (Terry has one of these pictured on his website that was recently sold as well), P. Beuscher, and Thibouville Lamy.

One antique instrument buyer told me that these type of flutes come up every so often in European auctions.

Cheers!
mcdafydd
Tell us something.: My wife and I moved back to beautiful Central Vermont and I need to update my Location! Thanks much...

Post by mcdafydd »

Jon C. wrote:This is made by Auguste Buffet, jeune Paris, it is the french version. I wonder who came up with it Clinton or Buffet?
Hey Jon, do you have the catalog number for it? I can't find it indexed under his name.

Thanks!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

chas wrote:
I.D.10-t wrote:That thing has more keys than a head janitor.
Wow

Can some one name them all?
Some of them are truly bizarre -- it looks as though there's an Eflat actuated by the left index finger.

Also, it looks like two Cnat keys, RH1 and LH1 or 2. Is the second one possibly bigger diameter so that it's a C#/D trill?

What about that one up almost on the barrel? D-D# or D-E trill?
I'd love to find out. And that bad boy has a B foot. *swoon*

Playing one of those metal jobbies (I find myself preferring the looks of the Clinton) might solve an age-old problem for me: the punter coming up and asking, "That's a clarinet, right?" :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Cork

Post by Cork »

Nanohedron wrote:...Playing one of those metal jobbies (I find myself preferring the looks of the Clinton) might solve an age-old problem for me: the punter coming up and asking, "That's a clarinet, right?" :wink:
;-)
Denny

Post by Denny »

Nanohedron wrote:Playing one of those metal jobbies (I find myself preferring the looks of the Clinton) might solve an age-old problem for me: the punter coming up and asking, "That's a clarinet, right?" :wink:
had a metal clarinet once.....

"is that a soprano sax?"
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

mcdafydd wrote:
Jon C. wrote:This is made by Auguste Buffet, jeune Paris, it is the french version. I wonder who came up with it Clinton or Buffet?
Hey Jon, do you have the catalog number for it? I can't find it indexed under his name.

Thanks!
http://rs6.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?dcm: ... ammem_BOeu: fro the Frenchy
http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/map_item. ... dcm:@field(NUMBER+@band(1160%20dcmflute))
For the Clinton
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Sillydill wrote:Hey Jon,

I found this one at the DMC while searching Austrian flutes:

Thought ya might like it! :D

Those conical silver flutes look like Boehms that went on an extreme crash diet! :lol:

See Loren is not the only one who gets post highjacked! :P

All the Best!
It looks like the key cups are inlaid with turquoise? That would be cool...
So that is why the end cap is called a crown! This one looks like one...
There is such a wealth of flutes on that site. I hear that David Shore discovered the collection while working there. they were all stuffed away in boxes. He made a stink and finely got them on line.
Last edited by Jon C. on Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Cork

Post by Cork »

Denny wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Playing one of those metal jobbies (I find myself preferring the looks of the Clinton) might solve an age-old problem for me: the punter coming up and asking, "That's a clarinet, right?" :wink:
had a metal clarinet once.....

"is that a soprano sax?"
Well, truth be told, I have a couple of those older, metal clarinets, and my initial attraction to them was because they sure did look like a soprano sax.

BTW, I have never played either one of them, although at a glance they each could be easily restored into playing condition.
rforbes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: This would be a ineresting design for a metal Conical fl

Post by rforbes »

brotherwind wrote: Why do all the holes of this flute have the same (seemingly) diameter? :-?
Good question! This is listed as "DCM 0677: Auguste Buffet, jeune / Piccolo in C". So I'm guessing that, being a piccolo, the holes could be made as large as possible and positioned optimally without running into the hole size/finger span limitations that force simple flute holes to be a) different sizes and b) smaller than the "optimum" size (which Boehm considered to be 3/4 of the bore diameter).

<edit> Actually, that doesn't totally explain it as holes 3/4 of the bore diameter would be different sizes on a tapered bore. Probably it was easier from a manufacturing standpoint to have them all the same size.

Rob
Last edited by rforbes on Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

rforbes wrote:
brotherwind wrote: Why do all the holes of this flute have the same (seemingly) diameter? :-?
Good question! This is listed as "DCM 0677: Auguste Buffet, jeune / Piccolo in C". So I'm guessing that, being a piccolo, the holes could be made as large as possible and positioned optimally without running into the hole size/finger span limitations that force simple flute holes to be a) different sizes and b) smaller than the "optimum" size (which Boehm considered to be 3/4 of the bore diameter).

Rob
Good point, I didn't see that it was a piccolo...
Okay, here is a better flute to copy, then...
Ward made it, so it has to be good!
Key work is a little strange on this one.

Killer embouchure hole! bet it was a honker...
Actually, you could follow the same specs as a wooden flute, and just make it out of silver. Probably use a mandrel to shape the bore, solder on chimneys on the tone holes and emb hole, and away you go! To bad silver is costing a fortune right now, maybe brass?
Last edited by Jon C. on Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Flatley

Jon
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Jon C. wrote: Okay, here is a better flute to copy, then...

Is that a fancy set screw for the cork?

Kevin Krell
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Could be a toggle for a chain so one could hang one's flute from one's cummerbund. A jaunty accessorization, no?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

kkrell wrote:
Jon C. wrote: Okay, here is a better flute to copy, then...

Kevin Krell
That is cool, a little wind up cork setter? Or is that where you are supposed to mount your tassel? :D
Michael Flatley

Jon
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

Nanohedron wrote:Could be a toggle for a chain so one could hang one's flute from one's cummerbund. A jaunty accessorization, no?
That would be "bling"!
Michael Flatley

Jon
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

kkrell wrote:

Kevin Krell

Why yes. Yes it is.

Its actually a sommelier flute and you wear it about your neck on a chain.

It also comes with a lobster cracker and oyster knife.

:P
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert