This would be a ineresting design for a metal Conical flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jon C.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

There is even setting you can turn it too! Does this flute have AM or FM?
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Denny

Post by Denny »

AM.....FM came later.
rforbes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by rforbes »

That is SO cool looking!!

I'm getting into a real rut with the Philip Bate quotes:

"Ward's 'Patent Flutes' were furnished with graduated metal tuning slides, and to move the stoppers he provided, not a screw, but a sort of eccentric with a tiny connecting rod. An indicator mounted on the eccentric spindle outside the head showed the setting of the cork, and had to be matched with corresponding numbers on the slide."

Rob
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

rforbes wrote:That is SO cool looking!!

I'm getting into a real rut with the Philip Bate quotes:

"Ward's 'Patent Flutes' were furnished with graduated metal tuning slides, and to move the stoppers he provided, not a screw, but a sort of eccentric with a tiny connecting rod. An indicator mounted on the eccentric spindle outside the head showed the setting of the cork, and had to be matched with corresponding numbers on the slide."

Rob
So a poor man's R&R patent head.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: This would be a ineresting design for a metal Conical fl

Post by Terry McGee »

kkrell wrote: Is that a fancy set screw for the cork?

Kevin Krell
Sure is. That's Ward's patented Indicator and Terminator, see:

http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/Ward_FE_8.htm

Essentially his version of Potter's markings on slide and stopper, or Rudall & Rose's Patent Head. All attempts to keep the stopper and slide positions synchronised over a wide range of pitches.

The keywork, as Jon remarked, is unusual. It's Ward's "bellcrank" system - when you operate a key, you pull a wire along the flute, which then lifts or closes a pad. Proved not that practical.

Terry
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Terry McGee wrote:
kkrell wrote: Is that a fancy set screw for the cork?

Kevin Krell
Sure is. That's Ward's patented Indicator and Terminator, see:

http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/Ward_FE_8.htm

Essentially his version of Potter's markings on slide and stopper, or Rudall & Rose's Patent Head. All attempts to keep the stopper and slide positions synchronised over a wide range of pitches.

The keywork, as Jon remarked, is unusual. It's Ward's "bellcrank" system - when you operate a key, you pull a wire along the flute, which then lifts or closes a pad. Proved not that practical.

Terry
I should have checked your site, figures that you would have a diagram how it works... :D I like the name, "The Terminator" Arnold would like that!
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Your lip would not easily slip off of that plate.

"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Cork

Post by Cork »

Cork wrote:These are lovely flutes, and I could sit here for hours admiring them.

However, in terms of a modern, A=440 version, apparently it could be a matter of just how many people could be willing to lay out, say, a few thousand dollars to buy one, to thereby create a market for such a thing.

Anybody?
Gee, all I did was mention a speculative pile of money. Hello, where'd everybody go?
Denny

Post by Denny »

uh, you were expecting a different answer, eh?
Cork

Post by Cork »

What ever happened to entrepreneurial spirit?
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

jim stone wrote:the question is how these sound?
I guess this is one of those very substantial and segue questions that may escape comment in a flute topic.

I read, I think in Terry McGee's site, that Boehm considered a cylindrical bodied thin walled flute the apex.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Cork

Post by Cork »

Jon C. wrote:Image
This is a flute that is at the Dayton museum, interesting design, as a alternative to delrin...
@Jon C.

Of the above flute, what could a reasonable estimation be of the market value of a modern, A=440, all silver interpretation of such a flute?
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

I think it would cost about $3k to make something like that.
Michael Flatley

Jon
Cork

Post by Cork »

Somehow, $3K seems about right. However, considering the Research and Development costs, to determine an optimum configuration for such a flute, could you venture a guess as to roughly how many such flutes would need to be sold at $3K each to recover the R&D costs? Perhaps a couple of hundred? That is, perhaps a one-off, one only, of such a design could cost a lot more than $3K.

I don't mean to hold you to any account, but I am trying to get some sense of true costs, here, please.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I MUST have one!