"The Butterfly" - Matt Molloy / "Chieftains" & James Galway

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

"The Butterfly" - Matt Molloy / "Chieftains" & James Galway

Post by kenny »

http://youtu.be/Np8NW16Dx3Y

Just put up on "Youtube". Arrangement of "The Butterfly" by the "Chieftains" and James Galway. Best thing for me is the beginning with Matt Molloy playing solo. They change tempo from 9/8 to 12/8 - an interesting arrangement, I thought. I think this is from around 1987.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
paddler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: "The Butterfly" - Matt Molloy / "Chieftains" & James Galway

Post by paddler »

Thanks for posting that. That brings back some memories. I have that on an old Chieftains CD.

Does anyone know what flute Matt is playing there? It looks like a post-mounted Siccama style flute with a French style slide. Is it a conical or cylindrical bore?

Jon
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

I think it's conical Hawkes and Son ( or some Hawkes) in Bb with Siccama keys.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

kenny wrote:They change tempo from 9/8 to 12/8 - an interesting arrangement, I thought.
Not to mention playing in parallel fifths (Eb/Bb) at 2:12.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

That's Galway--addicted to sheet music. Oh well--if I hadn't started playing the Irish music, I'd still be trapped in that 2-dimensional world myself.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Pity we can't count all the notes Galway has played in his career. But if I had a 40-plus-year touring/concert repertoire consisting of God knows how many complex multi-part pieces, I might just refer to sheet music too, especially if it's a specialized arrangement in a performance.

BTW, thanks for posting this, Kenny. It's gorgeous. Makes me appreciate the tune again :-)

P.S. Wha-hey! Where did you find that O'Sullivan's March video? It's terrific!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Alright, I'll guess I'll give Sir Jimmy a break. But I've seen him play warhorse, chestnuts of the classical repertoire, pieces he no doubt has played hundreds of times, pieces he's touring with, and still reading the sheet music. I think it hints at a lack of musicality on his part, as being more mechanical than mystically musical.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

If people were paying $50+ per ticket to hear me talk, I might bring along a few notes, too. Even if I'd given the speech a million times .... actually, ESPECIALLY if I'd given the speech a million times. Anyway, drifting off in the middle of the Hindemith Sonata can get kind of bad for your revenue stream.

(Shoot, I'm at the point where I forget B parts of simple jigs. I imagine his head's 10x as full.)

Sorry to jump on you. I just get weary of the "no dots" trope; it's been waaay oversimplified. It's not so much about "don't look." It's about "LISTEN!!!!"
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

In Galway's defence (and I'm not a fan, though a partial admirer), he spent much of his training/early career learning a great deal of the primary orchestral repertory for flute by heart - at least according to himself. Read his autobiography or read/listen to his assorted anecdotes about his audition for the Berlin Phil. He did much more learning by heart than was normal at that time, or probably since. No doubt whatever he can/could do it, if he chose. But of course his sight reading is just as phenomenal and, in contexts like his gigs with The Chieftains where there was probably rather little rehearsal time, his using dots makes a certain amount of sense as he wouldn't be used to making arrangements on the fly and remembering them without notation. Not less musical, just a different skill set. As for interpretation, I think he has always veered towards the sentimental, so not just dry, mechanical reading, no. "Taste" is another matter.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

The fun thing about Sir James is that he has written (or co-written!) two autobiographies; one early and one late. Fun to compare the two. . .

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
accordionstu

Post by accordionstu »

Galway's first taste of music was similar to my own, in a marching band from Belfast. It is rare nowadays to see a marching band with a Lyre on their wrist and when marching but many of those same bands who remember their 50+ tunes repertoire would still have a music stand, and notes when playing indoors. I doubt he needs to read the music nowadays, so i'd say it was force of habit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcuTZxtcnCI
Blackskull FB in concert
Boyd Flutes - For Soprano D Flutes, Fifes and Piccolos. Made in the UK
Akiba

Post by Akiba »

Wow, I had no idea we had so many Galway fans and apologists. I refuse to give him slack...OK, part of this is my disdain for the world and repertoire of classical flute. I actually met Sir James years ago backstage at Davies Symphony Hall in San Francisco when he was rehearsing with the SF Symphony prior to my rehearsal with the SF Symphony Youth Orchestra.

I've been inspired by virtuoso pianists, violists, trumpeters, horn players, oboists...never James Galway. And these other virtuosos never used sheet music in concert. Matt Molloy is in my opinion a far superior ARTIST than Galway. I think he is primarily technical player. Hell, last night I heard an 18 year old young woman alto sax player give an inspiring, memorable solo at a Berkeley High School graduation ceremony that far surpasses anything I'd expect from Galway in terms of artistic impact.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Akiba wrote:OK, part of this is my disdain for the world and repertoire of classical flute.
Aye, well... bet there's some classical flautist somewhere with a similar disdain for the world and repertoire of the Irish flute. But you know what? That doesn't make either of you 'right'.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Akiba

Post by Akiba »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Akiba wrote:OK, part of this is my disdain for the world and repertoire of classical flute.
Aye, well... bet there's some classical flautist somewhere with a similar disdain for the world and repertoire of the Irish flute. But you know what? That doesn't make either of you 'right'.
Of course, my viewpoint is completely subjective. There is no definitive "right". It's just my "right".
brad maloney

Post by brad maloney »

I think a lot of Galway's fame is cyclically due to his fame. It's weird but I've seen it before, it's like when people boast that Bela Fleck is by far the best banjo player who's ever stepped foot on the planet earth - truth is, it's the only one they've ever heard of and have heard others say he's the 'best' (whatever that means, music isn't a contest that one wins or loses). Same goes for Yo-yo-ma, Allison Krauss, "The Cheiftans" André Rieu etc...

I don't mean to say that any of them aren't talented or deserve to make a great living entertaining, I'm just saying sheeple like to bleat the same names to sound like they know something.
Play Happy