E-Bay piccolo

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

E-Bay piccolo

Post by benhall.1 »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANTIQUE-RUDAL ... SS:GB:1120

Looks nice to me. Pretty good condition, nice looking keys and an original case.
jemtheflute

Re: E-Bay piccolo

Post by jemtheflute »

Does look nice. Not sure (yet) about pitch/tonality. Case is not original.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

jemtheflute wrote:Case is not original.
Isn't it? I can't have looked closely enough. Still looks an interesting little picc ...
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Has anyone asked for length or SL? Yet?

You can never really tell from photos but it looks a bit short?

I really like mine.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Yes, I asked last night. No response yet. Style of Eb and short F keys and general proportions of keys had me wondering.......
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Case - look at those cut-outs into the end walls and the head doesn't appear to drop flat in the slot (finial in the way). Too scruffy! The black cladding and green baize do look superficially RC case style, but I don't believe they'd have sold a picc in so ill-fitted a case. Their cases were custom made to fit particular instruments, from all I've ever seen.
Last edited by jemtheflute on Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

jemtheflute wrote:Case - look at those cut-outs into the end walls and the head doesn't appear to drop flat in the slot (finial in the way). Too scruffy! The black cladding and green baize do look superficially RC case style, but I don't believe they'd have sold a picc in so ill-fitterd s case. Their cases were custom made to fit particular instruments, from all I've ever seen.
Yes, I think you're right. However, I suspect that the head does drop flat into the case when it's pushed in, as it would be expected to be when stored. Still, those cutouts rule out an original case for that picc, I agree. Maybe an original case made for a smaller instrument.
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

Remind me if & when I sell a flute or piccolo on eBay to discuss live auctions to all and sundry.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Noted.
It really doesn't make any difference, Neil, or not these days. We all have much the same searches running, we all see the same stuff. Unless something has been very badly listed so it misses the searches, your chances of being the only spotter or bidder are zilch. And by no means everyone watching and discussing is going to bid.
Last edited by jemtheflute on Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Neil B wrote:Remind me if & when I sell a flute or piccolo on eBay to discuss live auctions to all and sundry.
Well, that would be up to you. But if you do, I might well flag it up here in any case. :)
megapop

Post by megapop »

Over at UP world they even have a dedicated collective thread for this. Beware! :P
Last edited by megapop on Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
return null;
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

benhall.1 wrote:
Neil B wrote:Remind me if & when I sell a flute or piccolo on eBay to discuss live auctions to all and sundry.
Well, that would be up to you. But if you do, I might well flag it up here in any case. :)
Actually, I'm being a bit slow here - of course, if you were selling you'd positively welcome the publicity wouldn't you?
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

Answering the three replies.... JC so there's even a site dedicated to alerting everyone therefore can some get on there and find me a Rudall Carte simple system F piccolo please?
Next Jem....I would have thought you would have noted the non RC style keys? If anyone was going to bid.... by bringing it to the attention of the World & his dog I'm sure would not help the new buyer get it for a somewhat realistic price, so maybe time to switch off the searches and log in here more often as there seems to be some new interest in Band Flutes LoL
(It's a D by the way from my notes)
So Ben from your last remark are you selling it....I suppose not, as the box you'd have known was an under the bed suitcase item :-)) Most forums I am on absolutely frown on live auction alerts, but as your running the show I suppose you can wave red & green flags all day. Just pointing out as it was a simple system flute & as there are enough semaphore signallers on here with the bigger fish most are into makes it harder to bear without remarking upon. Thanks for the offer if & when I start selling, instead of buying.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

No, the auction was nothing to do with me. If I put something up for sale on eBay I most certainly will flag it up here as well though. Seems only common sense to me.

Funnily enough, though, I don't think flagging these things up here has much impact on the auctions or the prices achieved. Witness the Rudall sold recently at Gardiner Houlgate ( viewtopic.php?f=2&t=98577 ) which ended up being bought by a member here for a very reasonable sum.
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

Thanks for the link maybe instead of flagging you could wade through the old and bold posts as that one had me in tears of laughter or was it sentimentality & certainly better than all these extra for sale posts on the main board. Over & out....

Thanks Jem. It was touch and go though. My daughter was to go to Putney Bridge Station at 12 o'clock on the 28th, and the seller would wear a black cap. Seemed a bit cloak and dagger, and my daughter didn't fancy carrying a large amount of cash and going to meet a stranger in a part of London she didn't know. At this point we didn't know if the seller was a man or a woman. So my daughter's present boyfriend, who is a professional minder/and in the security business, tagged along in case things got dodgy. However an hour before the meet, the seller rang my daughter and said she'd changed her mind, she was very sorry, but she didn't want to sell the flute as it had great sentimental value, it came from her partner's family, and she was thinking of learning to play it herself. My daughter said she understood and that was completely ok. Then they talked some more, and it transpired that she also thought I was going to renovate the flute and then sell it on. My daughter said no, that I'd been playing Irish trad for over 30 years, and was going to keep and play the flute. I think she may have mixed me up with someone else also interested in the flute. Then she said "I'll sell it then if it's going to a good home and will be played". So the deal was on again. The train to Putney was delayed an hour, but the seller waited as the weather was fine, and my daughter handed over 1200 GBP to a nice middle-aged lady. Two other offers of 1200 were made, but my offer was first, so she was fair enough to go with that