Dizi same fingering as whistle? (or close?)

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
lament
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Dizi same fingering as whistle? (or close?)

Post by lament »

James_Alto wrote:What kind of xiao do you have?

Playing like this should be possible in about 3 weeks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-pjlgQhcqc

:wink:

You may need to try a few, and then learn the xiao technique of embouchure. I'm still having to fudge my way around a few ...
Right, I got to that level in 2 weeks or so, now my question is, how to progress further?? :)

Actually I can barely get any sound out of it at all. Especially the lowest notes. It's a standard 6-hole xiao in G (lowest note D). Sometimes I can get things to sound, but never reliably.

Anyway I'm not paying any attention to the xiao at the moment - learning the guqin with a proper teacher instead.
James_Alto

Post by James_Alto »

dspmusik wrote:good to know! that's what i originally hoped/thought, but i did find a vid with only 2 LH fingers; like you said, probably some variation.
how do you feel about eason music?

Yes - some of the xiao flutes I have, can actually take on a dizi body. This wasn't a design feature - it just happens (with some tonal slipping of course). The 5 hole system of the 6 hole xiao (thumb for rear) would indeed only require two left fingers, and pipers grip on the right hand only. This means ... you won't drop the flute accidentally, as it is supported by the left hand and right thumb.

Re: Eason music. The other forum board has some positive customers from them. The problem with dizi and xiao flutes ... you might have about 10 lemons for every 11th brilliant dizi or xiao. Quality control is always an issue for handmade instruments, and ordering off the net, there is a degree of hoping for the best. Eason weren't great at getting their suppliers to customise a flute for me. In terms of the level of detail and expectation on the Irish flute front, we're very spoilt here. They are no better or worse than any other internet dealer. Their prices are fair, and their products seem reasonable for the charge. They are one of only two major English language speaking dealers who can stock the double bass dizi - unfortunately the build calibre of their supplier leaves a lot to be desired.
James_Alto

Post by James_Alto »

lament wrote: Right, I got to that level in 2 weeks or so, now my question is, how to progress further?? :)

Actually I can barely get any sound out of it at all. Especially the lowest notes. It's a standard 6-hole xiao in G (lowest note D). Sometimes I can get things to sound, but never reliably.

Anyway I'm not paying any attention to the xiao at the moment - learning the guqin with a proper teacher instead.
You need to get a long flowing robe and tie your hair up in a bun :D

Your embouchure technique is going to be the main issue here. It's always easy to hit and miss an embouchure with the xiao:

1. stretch the xiao in front of you, with you arms arcing to form a semi-circle with the xiao in front.
2. position your last known working embouchure on the notch, so that you can mentalise the position of the notch, 45 degrees to the angle of your breath striking it.
3. Slowly lower the xiao, on a basic fingering (e.g. first finger and thumb holes covered) to the vertical axis until you get a sound. If you don't, then repeat this step using a different embouchure.
4. Hold that position once you've got the xiao sounding. Then tighten your embouchure to increase its power/volume.

That's the technique I use. I can do it, but I expire, before I can reach the end of a phrasing. My blowing technique loses a lot of air, so I'm still refining it.

The guqin??? Wow. That's quite a challenge! Thankfully you have a teacher!