iPhone apps for U.P.'s ?

Oxymorons "R" Us
Forum rules
Please see forum announcement for description and rules!
illwinds
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

iPhone apps for U.P.'s ?

Post by illwinds »

I'm new to the world of IPhones and I'm wondering, besides Michael Eskins' wonderful apps, what other people are using their iPhones for that is playing related. Either a built in function or an app.
A quick search of the app store showed about a dozen different tuners. Are any of them any good, and has anyone found one with a just intonation option?
I think I've seen people recording lessons (just audio), sometimes with an external mic. attached. How is this done?
Fel showed me how he accesses his tune library on www.thesession.org .
All the best, Dave.
sam1993
antispam: No

Re: iPhone apps for U.P.'s ?

Post by sam1993 »

For tuning my fiddle I use omnituner. I'm not sure how well it would work for pipes, but I can't imagine it not working.
eskin

Post by eskin »

I use the Petersen iStroboSoft tuner on my iPhone mostly, but it doesn't support just intonation. I have to remember the offsets if I'm using it for pipes specific tunings. It's the only tuner I'm using when I play out anymore.
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

I use iTalk as the software to record on my iPhone. You record it; synch your phone to the computer and it transfers across. Delete it from your phone and your done. I think you would run out of battery or memory at a concert/workshop. I use an iPod to do the recording at a workshop or tionol concert. The ipod supports recording when you use a Griffin microphone adapter. For the life of me, I can't remember the name of the product, but it is made by Griffin.
eskin

Post by eskin »

Oh right, recording apps... There is a phenomenal one for the iPhone or iPod Touch with an external mike called "iProRecorder" from the folks at Bias. I've stopped using my Olympus LS10 and just use the iPhone app for session tune sucking, its that good. I wouldn't record a whole concert with it (although it would do a decent job at it), its a great app.
learnthegrip
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by learnthegrip »

Amazing Slow Downer is an app that slows down or speeds up recorded music. You can use it to slow down and loop a phrase or part to aid in learning a tune, or analyze a musician's style. It will also adjust pitch--handy if you want to play along with an instrument that's pitched differently from yours. It's the iPhone version of the desktop application, a bit pricey, but a lot less than the desktop version, and there's a free evaluation version available as well.
Was that a groan or did I hear the Dingle bagpipes Wasting war and?
Finnegans Wake
liraman

Post by liraman »

eskin wrote:Oh right, recording apps... There is a phenomenal one for the iPhone or iPod Touch with an external mike called "iProRecorder" from the folks at Bias. I've stopped using my Olympus LS10 and just use the iPhone app for session tune sucking, its that good. I wouldn't record a whole concert with it (although it would do a decent job at it), its a great app.
Just adding to Mr´Eskins tip. I use an excellent app called Fourtrack which gives you the opportunity to record (with any mic onboard or external) four stereo tracks and bounce them, leaving room for more tracks. You can send the recordings to your computer after downloading a kind of Four Track "mother program" for additional twiddling but the app has some edit gems of its own as well. only downside is that Fourtrack has its own format. I didn't like the option of attaching a clumsy mic to the iPhone usb input so opted instead for a special break out cable that goes into the combined input/output connection on the top of the iPhone. This gives me the possibility to use any dynamic mic I like and astill be able to listen to what I only through headphones of my choice.
Thios type of break out cable is rare though. I bought mine from kv connections:
http://www.kvconnection.com/product-p/k ... e-2trs.htm
This cable can of course be used with any recording app
/Liraman
PadraigB

Post by PadraigB »

The best Trad music app I have seen is the Tunepal app.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tunepal/ ... mpt=uo%3D6
and
http://tunepal.org/tunepal/index.php

I've used this in sessions and it has worked most of the time. As well as naming the tune being played, it will give you the staff/abc notation, geotag the tune/session and add the tune to "My Tunes". Well worth the €5/$5.
fel bautista

Post by fel bautista »

Tunepal is wonderful. Even if it gives you the wrong answer, there is a tune that you can go learn
misterpatrick

Post by misterpatrick »

ClearTune is a great tuner that can be set up with customized offsets. It is extremely good at picking out what you need it to pick out. For example, I can be playing with the drones and it will "hear" the chanter, but if I stop the chanter it will hear reg notes. It seems to be just sensitive enough. Plus, it's free.

I also like TuneBook Pro which is a great resource for when you just can't remember how a tune starts, you can just pull up the dots. I think that was about $3.99 or something.

Michael turned me onto iProRecorder which is really nice. Here's a question for those of you that use it. How far away do you set the phone for solo recording?
eskin

Post by eskin »

This isn't available yet, but will be quite handy when released for the iPad:

http://www.tradlessons.com/Uilleann.html
eskin

Post by eskin »

I finally bought TunePal this morning. What an amazing piece of software. I just started trying random tunes on my pennywhistle, it identified every single one of them, and they weren't all common tunes.
eskin

Post by eskin »

Do you suppose that this wireless MIDI version is going to make some waves as well? (again, not yet available):

http://www.tradlessons.com/AirPipes.html
Last edited by eskin on Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheSilverSpear
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by TheSilverSpear »

Tunepal is great fun. My mate has an iPhone (I don't, sadly) and we were playing with it in a session last night. You get this feeling of wondrous amazement when it correctly identifies the tune that eight to ten people on a bunch of different instruments just played. And then you do it again, and again, and again. Doesn't get old.

More Tales of the Easily Amused.
eskin

Post by eskin »

TunePal is truly amazing...