Tuning Question

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
fiddlerwill
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play traditional Irish and Scottish music.
"The beginner should approach style warily, realizing that it is an expression of self, and should turn resolutely away from all devices that are popularly believed to indicate style — all mannerisms, tricks, adornments. The approach to style is by way of plainness, simplicity, orderliness, sincerity."

Re: Tuning Question

Post by fiddlerwill »

Absolutely . Without drones tuning is very flexible, any scale at all in fact will work. But with the drones.... A very different situation indeed.
Fair play though to Richard for such a pragmatic approach to playing with ET instruments, sounded lovely.
The mind is like a parachute; it only works when it is open.

Heres a few tunes round a table, first three sets;

http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/werty
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs-willie
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

On this topic, just yesterday I played at a church service. I played preservice and postservice music on uilleann pipes along with piano and string bass, and during the service played uilleann pipes along with piano and choir.

It was completely irrelevant whether or not my chanter sounded good over a set of drones. The situation meant that I must play in tune in ET.

Since these are the situations I'm nearly always playing in, ET is a must.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
macwarner57
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by macwarner57 »

This thread has turned out quite fascinating. I came to uilleann piping via the highland route, and assumed all pipers used J.I.

Now I understand why one of my D chanters always has trouble playing with the drones without wads of tape on the F# and B. Perhaps I should leave it for E.T. playing (sessions, ensemble, etc) and use my narrow bore chanter for solo performances.

I feel like this is all stuff I knew all along, it's just been put together differently now. As usual, the pipes continue to amaze.

Edited this image (without permission) to be more useful:

5/17/11 EDIT: Removed pic since the one below is even better.
Last edited by macwarner57 on Tue May 17, 2011 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

I'm the one who originally put the image together (part of it is cribbed from the Korg instruction manual). Your edits are cool.
macwarner57

Post by macwarner57 »

I printed out a copy on stiff card and threw it in my pipe case. Let's see if it comes in handy some day.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

macwarner57 wrote:I printed out a copy on stiff card and threw it in my pipe case. Let's see if it comes in handy some day.
You had the diagram labeled "Key of D" but there was no indication for C#.

How's this?

macwarner57

Post by macwarner57 »

Touché, and bravo!

Gesundheit?
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Very cool, that chart, though I wonder if in practice uilleann pipers play the C natural all the way down to that -32 Harmonic position. It would be interesting for somebody to get recordings of various famous uilleann pipers and do pitch analysis and see how they're acutally tuned.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

pancelticpiper wrote:It would be interesting for somebody to get recordings of various famous uilleann pipers and do pitch analysis and see how they're acutally tuned.
That would probably be interesting. Sometimes we (musicians) don't do things exactly the way theory predicts. In the pipe band I play in, we actually tune our high G about 13 cents flat, instead of 30, and we always get good comments (in competition) on our tuning.

My smallpipe chanter has the low-g at 40 cents flat, and it sounds really good. I'm rather curious to hear what it would sound like at 31 cents flat. Maybe I'll tune the drones sharp 9 cents and find out.
Driftwood

Post by Driftwood »

One problem with the very flat C natural (-30 cents or more) is that it does not make a very good 5th or 4th with the Gs on the chanter. As quite a few tunes in ITM are based in G Ionian or G Mixolydian (either as "written" or transcribed) I think that a tuning closer to the 16:9 ratio (-4 cents) or perhaps a little lower at around -10 cents to make a good fourth with the G is sometimes more useful.
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

Wouldn't the regulators be another consideration?
karl

Post by karl »

Once again, thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, it's fascinating. The image of the tuner needle positions will be very handy!
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Stating the obvious but apparently it is not taken into account no decent piper will use one and the same C natural all the time. C natural is a note that needs to be humoured, tuned into the drones, tuned into the regulator chords and pitched as required by the tune at hand.
My brain hurts

benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Stating the obvious but apparently it is not taken into account no decent piper will use one and the same C natural all the time. C natural is a note that needs to be humoured, tuned into the drones, tuned into the regulator chords and pitched as required by the tune at hand.
Thank you. :thumbsup:

Kind of put into words (nice, succinct ones) what I was muddily thinking. (Not that I know anything about piping, but that C is a tricksy beast on any instrument in this music.)
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

highland-piper wrote: In the pipe band I play in, we actually tune our high G about 13 cents flat, instead of 30, and we always get good comments (in competition) on our tuning.
Is there a YouTube video or some such of your band where I could hear the tuning you're using?

In competitions I've been to, here and in Scotland, all the good competition bands of all levels had their High Gs tuned to the Harmonic 7th tuning, -32 cents. (That is, bands tuned decently enough to where the intention of their tuning could be perceived. I recently heard a number of horrid Grade 5 EUSPBA bands many of which had their High Gs screaming sharp, closer to G sharps than G naturals.)
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle