New Pressure Issue

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
thebrownwhistles
antispam: No

New Pressure Issue

Post by thebrownwhistles »

I'm new to the pipes, and to the forum. However, I've been reading through the posts for quite some time. Thanks for satisfying my hunger for the knowledge on the pipes enough to get a practice set! :D!!

Anyways, here's a newbie question. I've been working on sustaining notes and working on scales in thirds and such like I did when learning flute and whistle. I seem to have gotten my bag pressure issues towards the bottom octave, however my back D has a very uncanny growl to it. It almost sounds like there's someone playing a muted trumpet. Is this also a pressure issue or am I looking at a reed thing?

Back info, I'm playing an Aaron Setunsky practice set that shipped from Washington to Arkansas. Should I be factoring in the humidity difference as well?

Feel free to hit me with the newb stamp, as long as it gets Louis Armstrong out of my chanter. :)
misterpatrick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: New Pressure Issue

Post by misterpatrick »

Sounds like a reed issue. Don't do anything but get yourself to a knowledgeable piper who can take a look at your setup. It's always best to have some who knows what's going on show you how to make adjustments. Gas money will be cheaper than having to buy a new reed if you mess yours up.
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I've been reading through the posts for quite some time.

I've been working on sustaining notes and working on scales in thirds and such.

Cool! Sounds like you're a thorough person and doing things the right way. In my way of thinking, beginners on any instrument should 1) master air control through long tones and 2) get the ability to get around on the instrument through scales and intervals.

my back D has a very uncanny growl to it.

I can't remember ever hearing a chanter do that.

Usually the back D thing is the "sinking back D", where at full pressure the note goes very flat, but comes up to pitch if you back off on the pressure.

This might seem stupid to ask, but have you checked to see if there's anything inside the bore up around the "throat" area? A narrow throat seems to make back D unstable.

But yes it's probably simply a reed issue. Reeds do crazy things when they go from one climate to another.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
WannabePiper

Post by WannabePiper »

I thought the "sinking back D" was when it would go progressively flatter as it gets "warmed up." I need to get my terminology straight.... :boggle:
ChaplainBlake
Tell us something.: Irish music has been a developing passion of mine. In the next few years, I hope to have all four of my kids going on whistles!

Post by ChaplainBlake »

Where in Arkansas are you? Not many of us Arkies playing uilleann pipes.

--Blake
amckay

Post by amckay »

I had that issue many years ago. My pipemaker suggested it was a weak reed and that I can trim the reed lips. As misterpatrick said, don't do anything yourself (especially when it comes to chopping up your reed) as the modifications are permanent.
thebrownwhistles

ChaplainBlake wrote:Where in Arkansas are you? Not many of us Arkies playing uilleann pipes.

--Blake

I'm in Conway, frequenting through Little Rock and the like.

Yeah, I'm no where near comfortable fiddling around with the reed just yet. Aside from closing the bridle to get the lips to the right width apart (suggestion from the maker). However, I am feeling like I was trying to blow too much through when I had that D going.

Learning to play the bag and bellows....whew!
billh

Post by billh »

Sounds like the dread "breaking" back d. Braaap braaap, that sort of sound?

Indeed you can get that from poor pressure control. It's a bit early for you to know whether the reed is at fault. However you should eventually be able to play the second octave E and the back d at nearly the same pressure; leave it a few weeks before attempting the second octave though, as you're new to things. Long, steady notes (and I do mean long - up to 30 seconds or so) are the best way to learn pressure control - you want the bellows strokes/transitions to be even enough that the note doesn't waver.

If the back d is prone to breaking, trimming the reed may make things worse, it really depends on the setup - not something you should consider yourself. I would be wary of anyone other than an expert reedmaker, familiar with you maker's work, doing a non-reversible reed modification for the breaking d.

good luck,

Bill
Mrk

Post by Mrk »

I'm in Conway, frequenting through Little Rock and the like.

Greetings, I'm another Arkansas, (neophyte) uilleann player. I’m looking for moral support for this most difficult of instruments. I thought I would search the Chiff and Fipple Forum for other local players and was surprised to find the two of you; ‘thebrownwhistles’ and ChaplainBlake respectively. I live in Hot Springs. I play a cobbled together practice set whose only uilleann component is a Daye chanter; I’m hoping to reach a minimal performance level so I can reward myself by purchasing a real Half-Set. How are you progressing in your development ?

[ Zombie alert. - Mod.]
pmriley

Post by pmriley »

are all the rest of the notes stable? i had a buzzy growl on the upper notes from the bridle being to loose. sometimes when you put the chanter back into the top you can clip the bridle and move it. unless your bridle doesnt move up and down.
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Post by Hans-Joerg »

pmriley wrote:are all the rest of the notes stable? i had a buzzy growl on the upper notes from the bridle being to loose. sometimes when you put the chanter back into the top you can clip the bridle and move it. unless your bridle doesnt move up and down.
Or are there perhaps any other metal parts on your chanter? A friend once had a "growl" on the F# and the reed was perfectly O. K. After a while we found out that a little screw had come loose and by chance F# exactly was its resonance frequency.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Moderator's Note: This is a Zombie thread, as noted above. The OP has not logged in since last August, and may not be reading any new posts.

Mrk, if you want to contact the posters, you can send a PM or e-mail.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Johnniez

Post by Johnniez »

Well remember it does take a few weeks for the reed to break in to its optimal perfomance and it will change a tad here and there till it settles in.

Johnnie
Every Day Is A Great Day
Some Are Just Better Than Others
thebrownwhistles

I guess it would be nice to update on the issue. Sorry about that guys.

I have figured out through talks with the maker that it is just a pressure issue. Too much pressure on the bag made the back D growl and the high e flat. So after a few months of working with it I managed to get a decent sound out of a nice set of pipes. :)

As soon as I feel like I can live without them for a week or two, I'll send them back to him to get them re-reamed.