Honest opinions for a newbie thinking about Uilleann Pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
RCRanger03
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Honest opinions for a newbie thinking about Uilleann Pipes

Post by RCRanger03 »

Hello Chiff and Fipple Forum My name is Matthew McElhaney. I'm a Texan spending the year in Delvin Co. Westmeath. I'm greatly considering diving into the world of Uilleann Piping, and I wanted to get the honest opinion of people in that world. I'm 22 years old (23 next week) and haven't played any musical instruments in my entire life. I have some basic music theory knowledge from choir, but not much more than that. I full realize that learning this instrument would be a long and difficult process, but I hope yall would say it is rewarding in the end and something that one day I might be able to share with my children. I've already sent out a similar email to this to Brian McNamara to get his opinion and maybe just maybe I might be lucky enough to get some private lessons

There is also the obstacle of acquiring a set of Pipes for this endeavor. I understand that they are quite expensive, and unfortunately price is an object for myself. However I wanted your opinion on the best course of action. I have found some pipe makers, most specifically David Daye in America (http://daye1.com/pennychanter.html) who is making a starter practice set for less than half of what a normal made to order set, and with considerably less wait time. Would it make sense to go for that, or should I take a leap of faith and buy a brand new set without any musical experience let alone with the pipes. Or would you know of someway to get a second hand practice set, since that would be all that i would be using for the first year or so anyways.

It is good to note that there is a rather good Pipers club in my hometown back in Austin, Texas which is where I'll be back after this year, so I wont be going back to a place with nobody to help me out and play with.

I hope to hear back from yall soon, and please be fully honest in your response. There is no need to beat around the bush if the simple answer is "its a bad idea" Thanks!
rorybbellows

Re: Honest opinions for a newbie thinking about Uilleann Pipes

Post by rorybbellows »

Yall should go for it ,if anything is true ,its the fact that what we regret in life is not what we did ,but what we didn't do , and if you dont give it a go ,you will live to regret it. Or at least thats what I've been told.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
chaos97

Post by chaos97 »

i have a Daye set, due to lack of ability to make and hold onto any substantial amount of money for long, and i think it's a great place to start. several other pipers have been quite surprised and impressed with how they sound, and i've had no problems with any of the reeds, which has also helped out.
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Daye sets may not be pretty but they are well made. The tone can be a little stong (especially for a beginner) but they are easy to reed. They're ideal for someone who wants to learn but who is on a budget. In terms of value for money, they're hard to beat.
PJ
hpinson

Post by hpinson »

You'll not go wrong with a Daye practice set.
Mike Hulme

Post by Mike Hulme »

Try playing a whistle first; then if you can get on with that, go for a Practice Set.
Mike

“Si fractum non sit, noli id refere”

http://www.uilleannpipesuk.org
Uilliam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Uilliam »

To my mind ye are already playing the pipes in yoor head so ye might as well do it fer real ...its gonna happen so let it..enjoy.say hallo to my folks in Moate ifn ye come across em the Adamsons...they'll be the ones lying pished on the pavement most like....
Uilliam
PS How many kids have ye got?
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

As you're in Westmeath the easier option would be to talk to NPU and see if they can fix you up with lessons and maybe a practice set on loan.
My brain hurts

Brazenkane
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Brazenkane »

Great Suggestion, Peter! Also, since you've been in choir...you have at least a musical ear e.g. you sang specific parts, and THAT is a very positive thing. Another positive is that you are young, and probably the most import things is that the teaching of pipes has been "figured out." Now before everyone here starts groaning with complaints, let me explain in simple terms:

There are mannnnnnny great pipers around these days, and many of them learned to play from teachers who know how to teach. In other words, becoming accomplished enough to play/make music, have a good time, and perhaps play in a few sessiuns, is not some mystery that only a few lucky people can do. You can do it too! Just realize the "price of admission" is mannnnnnny hours of practicing. Though, done under the watchful eye of a good teacher, you'll enjoy the journey, and end up with a skill that will last you a lifetime!

Go for IT!!!!!
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
RCRanger03

Post by RCRanger03 »

Thanks for all the replies everyone they have been really helpful. I've sent out emails to Brian McNamara, NPU, and Mr. Daye to see how I should proceed from here.

Mike Hulme... you suggested playing a whistle first. What would you suggest that would be the closest to being the same as the Uilleann Pipes. I'm guessing a penny whistle?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

What would you suggest that would be the closest to being the same as the Uilleann Pipes. I'm guessing a penny whistle?
No. They are fundamentally different but playing the whistle will give you some basic understanding of the music you'll be playing on the pipes and it will help you increase the control your brain has over what your fingers are doing. Which is beneficial once you're starting the pipes.
My brain hurts

PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

PJ
RCRanger03

Post by RCRanger03 »

Would you recommend buying this kind of thing on ebay? I've heard pretty awful horror stories from things bought on ebay
PJ

Post by PJ »

I'm not recommending you buy anything, I'm just pointing out that a Daye chanter just got listed on eBay. You certainly taking a chance when you buy from eBay. Most of what you see for sale is junk, make in Pakistan.

There's also a Daye half set for sale here. Again, this isn't a recommendation about a particular set. Just pointing out that a Daye set seems to be available (if you want to avoid waiting times).
PJ
uillmann

Post by uillmann »

If you are only "thinking about uilleann pipes," then the outlay for a penny chanter is pretty cheap and reasonable, and it will give you an idea of what piping is all about. When you have determined that you WILL become a serious piper, and have the means, go ahead and get the penny chanter anyway, but start loading your piggybank. Spare no expense, and begin the hunt or get on a waiting list for the very best set of pipes obtainable.