V-Pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Ballygo
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: V-Pipes

Post by Ballygo »

Does anyone know what key´s it can play in. Sounds great from the clips Ive heard

ballygo
uilleannfinlander
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by uilleannfinlander »

also nice to hear comments about from "normal" ,mean not proff. pipers.
CelticMusicLover

Post by CelticMusicLover »

Ballygo wrote:Does anyone know what key´s it can play in. Sounds great from the clips Ive heard

ballygo
It has a range of 12 semitones below the original pitch and 12 semitones above the original pitch. The key is changed on the little box on the backside of the chanter (the arrow buttons changes semitones up and down).
chris_coreline
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by chris_coreline »

IT HAS A MIDI PORT?!

:thumbsup:

of-cource i still want an 'organic' full set, but this would slot so neatly into my electronica rig its more then tempting. Aditionaly, playing something like that in-front of an audience who arnt familiar with the kenetics of the chanter would make for a hell of a specticle.
buskerSean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a walrus, I am a tea pot. John Lennon said that but people see him as a guru. Well,tell,you what he also almost became a piper asking Paddy Keenan to teach him. (bleep) got bored & went on the sitar and the rest is history.

Post by buskerSean »

yes, aren't they great! how much would it cost for a half set in all those pitches!

Also i've had to cancel payed gigs before due to reeds going South, and suffered all the usual drones going mad under stage light heat and crapping out. When I get back to playing again I'm getting a set and using them for every live permormance bar pubs!
eskin

Post by eskin »

Jeff Cullen wrote:Wow...maybe I'll write an app called "Bass Reg" then sell it as a package deal with Eskin's 3QuarterSet and the Vpipes! :lol:
Too late:
http://www.tradlessons.com/4QuarterSet.html

:-)
Mrk

Post by Mrk »

Mark, you might want to check on this Swedish guy who makes very good electronic practise chanters:
http://www.fagerstrom.com/

No uilleann pipes there but a small variety of other bagpipe types. It's not as expensive and the guy sold these for several years.[/quote]

Thanks, I already own a set of Fagerstrom Technopipes and Ross Electronic Pipes; both are wonderful instruments for practicing without disturbing the family and/or co-workers. I have a cobbled-together Uilleann beginner set, but the reeds are giving me fits. I'm seriously considering purchasing a set of vPipes so that I can put in some serious practice before I get too frustrated with the beastly thing.
carel

Post by carel »

well,
I decided to struggle with he real thing
getting the pipes in tune and in balance is a real opportunity
that makes sense to perform for an audience
vanfleet
Tell us something.: I play a full set of Seth Gallagher uilleann pipes, have been taking lessons, listening, and practicing since 1983. Teachers have included Bill Ochs, and David Power.

Post by vanfleet »

Hey all;
I think the same caveats and consumer protections that we all expect from "real" pipe makers should apply in this case. The initial order period is very short, the information on their web site very impersonal. I know I put my name on their email wait list YEARS ago, and I wonder why they did not send me an email to let me know the VPipes were now for sale?

Does the Chiff Board have any members in Spain, who can vouch for the authenticity of this offer, or tell us more about the makers? Are the VPipes makers on the Board?? I would sure like to see some individual names and some personal recommendations here before plunking down a huge deposit!

Thanks for any help,
JVF
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I've heard that with the new travel restrictions, vPipes will not be allowed in carry-on luggage and will have to be checked. Will the low temperatures in the hold mean that vBits will start falling off the set? Will it cause the vReeds to close and the vIvory to crack?
PJ
Jose' Scotte' Este'
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Jose' Scotte' Este' »

PJ,

You vorry too much.
"Luck is important"
Pyroh

Post by Pyroh »

Mrk wrote: ... I'm seriously considering purchasing a set of vPipes so that I can put in some serious practice before I get too frustrated with the beastly thing.
I think that vPipes can be suitable for many things, but hardly for serious practise... It could be like crying that guitar strings are too hard, therefore starting on Guitar hero.
amckay

Post by amckay »

Pyroh wrote:
Mrk wrote: ... I'm seriously considering purchasing a set of vPipes so that I can put in some serious practice before I get too frustrated with the beastly thing.
I think that vPipes can be suitable for many things, but hardly for serious practise... It could be like crying that guitar strings are too hard, therefore starting on Guitar hero.

And what's wrong with that? You should hear me play on guitar hero. I'm going to be awsome when I eventually pick up the real guitar!
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

amckay wrote:
Pyroh wrote:

And what's wrong with that? You should hear me play on guitar hero. I'm going to be awsome when I eventually pick up the real guitar!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks for that, I needed the laugh.
Jeff Cullen

Post by Jeff Cullen »

Code: Select all

I think this is like saying that fustal doesn't improve football skills (Brazil's players are brought up on fustal), and that flight simulators don't improve pilot abilities.
I've been using a Degar Pipe (electronic highland pipe chanter) to practice for over 10 years and its use as a practice tool is top notch.
I think using vPipes to practice Uilleann chanter technique would be highly beneficial. Many is the day when I'm in an airport or on a plane (or at home late at night), when I have time that could be well spent with my fingers on a chanter.
Jeff Cullen
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - A.E.