V-Pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Mrk
antispam: No

Re: V-Pipes

Post by Mrk »

I think that vPipes can be suitable for many things, but hardly for serious practise... It could be like crying that guitar strings are too hard, therefore starting on Guitar hero.[/quote]

I understand your preference for a real set of Union Pipes, based on your hard-earned skills, and a desire to see others not short-cut or cheapen the whole process and resulting culture and music. I would love to own a real full or half-set, but I don't currently have the money, I don't have an instructor, I don't have the time to travel to visit the one player in my state. Also my second email didn't refer to the fact I have peripheral nerve damage which is affecting my GHB and beginning Uillean Pipe skills. I can still play my electronic bagpipes since they don't require the pressure and a perfect seal. I'm frustrated but don't want to give up on this wonderful, darned difficult to learn instrument. I do play the guitar and would say that electronic pipes should at least equate to a ukulele. Seriously, I am concerned about the legitimacy of the vPipes offer and their lack of response to my emails.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Anybody here know when the V-bag and V-bellows will be ready for market?
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Mrk wrote:Seriously, I am concerned about the legitimacy of the vPipes offer and their lack of response to my emails.
Well, if it turns out to be a GIANT FRAUD, just sue the well known pipers who are promoting it!!

I'm assuming they didn't do their YouTube clips for free and they're obviously willing to put their good names and reputations behind the vpipes.
PJ
irishpiper
Tell us something.: uyguyguyguygug;skdjvlsa fvla bnsldcv nasnc:sodv jcpoaenvpiseripsertnvpa epaoeunvasuepv; auenr;usaenrviusanrvueapr;gvoajneproivea[orivjae['oirvjnae['oirvnae'oirvnas'[oirvn'[aenv'[saepoirnv['soeirnv['sonv[oeirvn['oeirnv['oisenrv['oisernjv['oisenv[oiserntv[oisenjv[oisrjtb[oisrtj[bsirpotbosirnboisemfvo[sierfvmseoiv

Post by irishpiper »

vanfleet wrote:Hey all;
I think the same caveats and consumer protections that we all expect from "real" pipe makers should apply in this case. The initial order period is very short, the information on their web site very impersonal. I know I put my name on their email wait list YEARS ago, and I wonder why they did not send me an email to let me know the VPipes were now for sale?

Does the Chiff Board have any members in Spain, who can vouch for the authenticity of this offer, or tell us more about the makers? Are the VPipes makers on the Board?? I would sure like to see some individual names and some personal recommendations here before plunking down a huge deposit!

Thanks for any help,
JVF

I got my E-mail:

REMINDER:

There are now only 15 days to place your order for a vPipes-Uilleann as orders close on the 15th January 2010.

For more information please visit our web-page at http://www.vPipes.com.

If you have already reserved, we apologise for the resend and please ignore this e-mail.

And we would like to take this opportunity in wishing you all a very Happy & vPiping New Year.

The vPipes Project
http://www.vPipes.com
If you do not wish to receive further notifications from vPipes, please send an email to the following address with the subject "unsubscribe": info@vpipes.com
windmaster
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by windmaster »

I questioned the vPipes project team.
The following are answers. I think it is very interesting. :shock:
Many thanks for your interest in the vPipes
and for your words of encouragement which are greatfully received.... :-)

I have answered below each of your questions for your ease of reference.

- Q1: Can I play half note? (Like C natural, F natural, G sharp and B flat)
Is vPipes possible to play half closed fingering?

>>> Indeed it is possible to ‘half-hole’ as on a traditional set of Uilleann Pipes.
This is because we have used proximity sensors that also react to the amount that
the sensor is covered by the finger. Added to which we have also incorporated
the ability to play chromatic notes with the rear touch-pad
(in substitution of the keys that a traditional set has).

- Q2: Can I change pitch freely like A=440Hz, A=441Hz or A=442Hz, etc?

>>> Yes, you can fine tune in cents which is very useful when wanting to play with,
for example, a church organ from the 1800’s which was normally tuned at 428Hz.
It is also possible choose between just intonation (drone tuning) or change to tempered tuning
when playing with a piano or other instruments which do not have just intonation.

- Q3: Can I change drone combination? For examples, A-D drone.

>>> The drones are configurable as you say and you can also change the volume of each one independently.

- Q4: How much is the time that can be the performance by one charge it?

>>> Our latest tests show that on one charge of a battery and in ideal
conditions you can play for approximately 6-7 hours
although we are trying to increase this for even more autonomy,
very much in the league, and superior to some of the modern mobile phones.

- Q5: When integrated battery's ability to hold an electrical charge has diminished, Can I battery's replacement?

>>> To do justice to the instrument we are using Li-Ion batteries,
which as at today's date are the most technically advanced currently available for this type of application.
The manufacturer's specifications have indicated a number or recharges of between 500 and 800.
This will vary according to the treatment that the end user subjects the battery,
eg, too many deep discharge-recharge cycles, working ambient temperature etc.
Ideally the batteries would be changed by vPipes and we would not charge a fee for handling
although the cost of the battery and transport costs will need to be covered by the owner.

- Q6: Is the DC adaptor bundled? How many DC is a necessary power supply volts?
- Q7: Can I use vPipes in Japan? Japan power source is AC100V, 50Hz/60Hz, Type A plug.

>>> The battery charger is universal as we are receiving orders
from all over the world so there is no problem about that.

Should you have any other questions or doubts please do not hesitate
to contact us again and we shall be happy to help.

Regards

RmC
The vPipes Project
liraman

Post by liraman »

windmaster wrote:I questioned the vPipes project team.
The following are answers. I think it is very interesting. :shock:
I quite agree. Proves to show that these guys know what they are doing. With the risk of repeating myself, some of these questions, and some interesting other themes are covered in the interview that The Liraman experience did with Ramon (same guy that answered your questions) two years back. The interview is here:
http://www.liraman.se/uilleannwinter/start.html
cheers
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Wow. I was a bit skeptical that vPipes could ever really emulate the real thing, but then I came across this YouTube clip of Jarlath Henderson playing The Blackbird on one such set. Apparently it was the first time he tried them.

The instrument's got not only finger vibrato, nyaahsome slideage and popping, but it also has your squeaks, inadvertently jumped/dropped octaves, the whole shootin' match. Amazingly realistic, to my ear. Even without reed issues, a piper's level of ongoing frustration is sure to keep steady.

The pro/con debate aside, I love Henderson's playing of The Blackbird to bits. And now, back to your regularly scheduled program.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Nanohedron wrote:Even without reed issues, a piper's level of ongoing frustration is sure to keep steady.
I heard that the V-Pipes 2.0 will be available with an app. for "Sinking Back D" and "Auto Cran" (at an extra charge).
PJ
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

PJ wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Even without reed issues, a piper's level of ongoing frustration is sure to keep steady.
I heard that the V-Pipes 2.0 will be available with an app. for "Sinking Back D" and "Auto Cran" (at an extra charge).
I don't want to pay for THAT much realism.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
magroibin

Post by magroibin »

Hmmm...next V-Regs???

That would give Micheal Eskin a run for his money! :D

(but shhh..I'm actually downloading 3QuarterSet right now...)
ferris54

Post by ferris54 »

I too have some serious concerns about this company. I have e-mailed them regulary over about 2 years asking about progress of the v pipes and have on each occasion had replies that they are still under development and the initial prices quoted would be available to me when they were eventually released.I was also told i would be notified when they would be available. I have had no notification and only found out about thier pending production by reading this forum last week. I have e-mailed the company several times with questions but have not had any replies.
The sales technique, or lack of it on thier web site in demanding you do this, this and this, and no corrospondance will be entered into until you get an order number, which you can only get by paying 450 euros non refundable deposit is un-nerving, but what worries me more is that the only video clips they display are on old prototype versions of the pipes. If i were marketing a new product, i would certainly make available the latest audio clips to sell my product.
misterpatrick

Post by misterpatrick »

That's odd. I've actually found them quite helpful and they have been responding quickly to questions. I have worked with a lot of small companies over the years, I understand their less than spectacular payment methods as it can be quite costly to implement credit cards payments. They do have credit card payment via their bank now which is a lot easier than a money transfer. I'm holding out for the best.
liraman

Post by liraman »

[quote="misterpatrick"]That's odd. I've actually found them quite helpful and they have been responding quickly to questions. I have worked with a lot of small companies over the years, I understand their less than spectacular payment methods as it can be quite costly to implement credit cards payments. They do have credit card payment via their bank now which is a lot easier than a money transfer. I'm holding out for the best.[/quote]

Exactly. And there are a bunch of people who tried them out and a still bigger lot that have actually seen and heard the pipes, including my very sceptical daughter who made the interview mentioned earlier. I know some people on this forum like to resort to conspiration theories whenever they can, but I strongly believe this is kosher. Of course you never know, people can die , earthquakes can occur, the end of the world can be near, but apart from that, I believe these guys.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

liraman wrote:... I know some people on this forum like to resort to conspiration theories whenever they can...
Ah yes, it's all clear to me now, it was a CIA agent on the grassy knowl with a set of V-Pipes. Quick, somebody inform Oliver Stone of this. :D
liraman

Post by liraman »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
liraman wrote:... I know some people on this forum like to resort to conspiration theories whenever they can...
Ah yes, it's all clear to me now, it was a CIA agent on the grassy knowl with a set of V-Pipes. Quick, somebody inform Oliver Stone of this. :D
Wait for Stone's upcoming THE SPANISH CONNECTION with a well known "real" UP-maker delivering Jim Garrisson's/Kevin Costner's line: One may smile and smile and still be a villain.