Two sets on Ebay for sale.

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Auction ended... no buyers.
KenWolman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by KenWolman »

<blockquote>
"Hi, the maker is myself Justin pickford,
regards, Justin (pipemaker)
<br>
http://web.argo.net.au/stephen/pipes_we ... pesweb.htm "
</blockquote>
<p>
Well, let us give him credit for saying so, anyway and not hiding behind some <i>nom de plume</i>. I'm getting an education that has nothing to do with how the pipes are played or even with how they're made. Rather it's with how they're not supposed to be made, I suppose.
<p>
Something I still find intriguing...since I began coming around last November, everyone mentioned that Timothy Britton makes a nice side-living remanufacturing Pakistani pipes and bringing them up or close to standard. But everyone is assuming that everyone knows what's <i>wrong</i> with Pakistani pipes.
<p>
The nearest analogy I can draw without becoming totally obnoxious is "Would an Irish, British (incl. Scottish) or Celtic-North American luthier attempt to make a sitar or bansouri flute?" "Sure, if he was selling through Lark in the Morning." Well, that last isn't really the answer, is it? I noted earlier tonight that Overton whistles several years ago stopped outletting their instruments to Lark, so badly has that shop's reputation been compromised. But that's besides the point.
<p>
Germans have made simple-system flutes used for Irish music. Andreas Rogge, who the last time I heard wasn't exactly a Celt, is reknowned as one of the world's unknockable pipemakers. What is it that stops the Pakistanis from turning out at least acceptable bagpipes other than that there <i>may</i> not be an indigenous bagpiping tradition in India and Pakistan from which to draw. See, I really don't know whether or not there is! I've heard the fabulous German bagpipe copies on Rogge's website but I don't know whether the lack of a tradition, obscene working conditions in the name of a customer-be-damned attitude, carelessness, or some other intangible contributes to the reputation of Pakistani uilleann and GHPs in this country.
<p>
Not that I'm in a hurry to find out. If I want to spend $3,300 on a wall hanging I would rather buy an antique tapestry about 1 foot square.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KenWolman on 2002-06-03 22:23 ]</font>