Uilleann Pipes/Bagpipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Seth
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Seth »

I have been very seriously considering learning the Uilleann Pipes, but as happens with many people, price is getting in the way. I was wondering if it would be worth my while to buy a fairly cheap set of bagpipes, which I can afford, just to learn a bellows system. Once I am comfortable with the bellows, I envision moving on to what I truly want to play. Would this make any sense at all? (I already am fairly familiar with the chanters of both instruments)

Seth

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Seth on 2002-06-25 18:53 ]</font>
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Look into a set by David Daye. His most expensive sets are in the range of about $450 or so. Not too bad at all, and only about a two month wait. He says it's six weeks, but really it's usualy more like 2 months. In the grand scheme of things however, this is MUCH better than even a relatively short two YEAR wait with some makers.

Bri~
Kevin Popejoy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kevin Popejoy »

Last edited by Kevin Popejoy on Mon May 10, 2004 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
dirk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by dirk »

I got to try one of David Daye's penny
chanters about three months ago, and was pleasantly surprised. It was a lot better than some of the other practice sets I have seen - especially in that it plays fairly well in tune. The only other thing worth mentioning is that you should avoid the Pakistani sets unless they have been worked over by someone like Tim Britton.