Had a David Daye penny-chanter for a while?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
rich
i see what you did there
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by rich »

I remember ages ago, here or on the other board or in my imagination, a handful of people talking about having ordered or just received one of David Daye's <a href="http://www.daye1.com/pennychanter.html">penny chanter</a> practice sets.

If you're one of those people, or someone that has had one for a while but hasn't told us about it, would you mind letting us know how you and it have been making out? The Web has handfuls of reviews that were along the lines of "I tried it at such-and-such tionol, and it was surprisingly good", but no "I've been playing it for six months, and...".

Thanks,

<ul>-Rich</ul>
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Well, not six months, but three. I got the leather bag and black delrin ('plastic') upgrades. Cost with shipping was $451 I think. First impressions, CRAP! I have to put it together, but after about two hours of tying stocks into the bag, and blowpipes and all that, and a little cutting down of excess leather on the bellows, it was playing that night.

I have had some trouble with David's reeds, but for the most part, it's a very nice instrument and plays very well. My biggest gripe is the volume's a bit on the loud side, and again, I'm having a bit of trouble with his reeds (gone through two so far) but at least to date, David has been good to deal with.

Anything in specific you'd like to know? I think Teri K.'s also got one of his sets. She posts every once in a while to this board.

Bri~

uilleann_craic@yahoo.com
Kevin Popejoy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kevin Popejoy »

Last edited by Kevin Popejoy on Mon May 10, 2004 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
janice

Post by janice »

I've had one of Dave's penny chanters for 5 years now(as a matter of fact I was his first customer). We both used to go to Irish week every year at Augusta-and struggle, complain, moan, about chanters and reeds, etc. What he has done with the pipes is wonderful-make a standard pipe for cheap that is reliable. I'm always suprised at the reaction of some people to a plastic pipe- if it works well, and you can't tell the difference in sound between it and wood, what is the problem? I think the plastic prejudice is why the clubs aren't using it(but I could be wrong). All of which seems funny to me , because I am a band director in my day gig, and some of the best student model clarinets on the market are plastic.