David Daye pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
MikeyGallagher

David Daye pipes

Post by MikeyGallagher »

Can anyone offer my their opinions on David Daye's uilleann pipes (particularly his half set?)
I'm interested in purchasing one and would like opinions -- and no, cosmetics are NOT an issue! :)
Sam L

Re: David Daye pipes

Post by Sam L »

I had a chanter in the workshop a while ago and was impressed by it. Great pipes to start out on.
" . . . when it's finished you look at it and you think that perhaps it will live longer than you, and perhaps it will be of use to someone you don't know, who doesn't know you. Maybe as an old man you'll be able to . . look at it, and it will seem beautiful . . "

Primo Levi - The Wrench
Christoffer

Post by Christoffer »

Hey Mikey! I've had a Daye chanter for about a year now, and it's a marvelous little number! It plays perfectly throughout the two octaves, with a perfect on-pitch high G and high B.
I havn't had the pleasure of hearing David Daye's drones in person, but there are a couple of videos on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwKp66I4 ... annel_page The drones are not made by Daye, but the chanter is. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB-h359GBrQ Starts off with some smallpipes, but about 1 minute into the video he's playing a Daye half set.

Chris.
Dukkha

Post by Dukkha »

I used to have a Daye set, and it was fantastic. His chanters have a great tone and the tuning is great. The drones also sound really nice. You can't really go wrong with his stuff. Just be aware that you cannot get regulators - but by the time you're ready for those, it will be time to upgrade to a nicer set.
Brazenkane
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Brazenkane »

i 2nd Sam on that. i have a very old one.... i won't get rid of it either.
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
MikeyGallagher

Post by MikeyGallagher »

Great to hear these things about his pipes :)
My current set is a Pakistani half set. I figured I will sell it along with another set of pipes as well as my electric violin and an amp to come up with the spare $1,350 + S&H. I'd like to do a few funeral services. I don't think I'll ever upgrade to regulators - at least not for now. With these hard economic times and other things to pay for, the pipes will just have to wait until I'm able to get a good amount of money saved away to buy a good full set with.
MikeyGallagher

Post by MikeyGallagher »

Oh, also, another question. I need some opinions.
Seeing how maybe I would want to upgrade to regs one day, what would you say the most suitable path for me to go would be? BC Childress pipes seem to be nice - but they're more expensive, yet upgradeable.

Can anyone comment on these pipes? I'd have to get a starter set and upgrade through the years, though... I don't know.
Could anyone give me some advice as to what to do?
djm

Post by djm »

If you are totally new to pipes, just get the beginner set of chanter, bag and bellows. The Daye sets are are popular. You can always resell it later. See how you get on with just the chanter for the first year or two before worrying about getting more.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

Hi!
After hearing Christoffer and Liraman play their chanters at last years workshop in Stockholm I'm fully convinced that it would be hard to find a better chanter to get started on considering what they cost. The only choice if you are on a limited budget. It will not be the greatest chanter, or the best sounding chanter around but it will serve you well for a number of years.

As for the half- or full-set options, stick with djm's advice and learn to play the pipes first.
Your preferences will change as you learn and progress, and in the end you might even decide to go for a flat set and keep your Daye chanter for sessions. Why make a decision today, when you experience and knowledge is limited, about what you might want to play in the future?
A full set of uilleann pipes is a heavy investment and I’m sure glad I don’t need to stick with the first car I bough just after I got my driving license.

Considering your family name a set by Seth ought to be an option in the future :wink:

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
MikeyGallagher

Post by MikeyGallagher »

Oh, I know how to play - pretty well enough for my purposes at least.
I'm just saving up to buy a nice set of pipes that will keep me happy for a long time - and since I've heard some good things about Bruce's pipemaking, I'd like to know more about it.

Also, I hate to keep asking questions, but does anyone know or have an estimate on how many people play the uilleann pipes worldwide? :)

Thanks! :D

EDIT: A fast note on the Pakistani pipes - I was able to get them playing in tune after a LOT of work on them, so yes, I do consider myself learned on an okay instrument.