peter hunter chanter

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Dionys
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dionys »

As for chanters being mostly cylindrical, and variations from this theme being out of tune, I have to disagree. My Tim Britton chanter is more of an ergonomic design with depressions in the body where fingers sit. It holds a very reliable tuning and is a joy to play and hold.

Dionys
AlanBurton

Post by AlanBurton »

Thanks. Out of all the chanters I've worked on, I've never seen it. Which makers do this?
Most unusual.
Dionys,I didn't say variations on cylinders are out of tune, I wrote "less stable around E's and Low D". What I was getting at was the whole shape, i.e. tapered. When too tapered, particularly around B C# BackD, then the D is unstable, the C# has a tendency towards being flat etc.,amongst other things. This is not to include hole scalloping (depressions as you refer to them), which is a fine tuning process and anyone who scallops holes for any other reason should be careful that they check the tuning constantly. My O'Briain is scalloped and having sat with Cillian through the process, noted the subtle but very musical difference it makes. Oh, and I am talking about Concert pitch pipes here....
Alan. Scalloping into the sunset:)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AlanBurton on 2002-06-29 04:50 ]</font>
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

Ahh.. My mistake in misreading your post. I would have to agree with your assessment regarding stability in regards to too much tapering. Thanks for the reminder as to the term 'scalloping.' My brain was worn out when I wrote my message.

Dionys