Roasted Uilleann Pipe reeds

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Roasted Uilleann Pipe reeds

Post by Mr.Gumby »

FWIW, I have heard of people treating both wood and reeds with ethylene glycol for the same purpose. But maybe that's a different story altogether.
My brain hurts

jon1908

Post by jon1908 »

MTGuru wrote:Where was it I read about microwaving reed slips to cure them so that they produce a distinctive "ping" when dropped? Can't remember.
David Daye's pages spring to mind?? but I can't check at the moment.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Mr. Gumby wrote:
FWIW, I have heard of people treating both wood and reeds with ethylene glycol for the same purpose. But maybe that's a different story altogether.
In a way it is another story. David Daye reported experimenting with PEG (polyethylene
Glycol) to make reeds more humidity resistant. He found it minimally effective for that purpose, but did find it tended to soften the reed. He offered the aside that this might be a possible course in dealing with the commercially available hard bassoon cane.
His current prescription for the stability of reeds appears to be the traditional one of taking time (perhaps weeks) to form the reed, and doing reeds in batches.
R.L. Mealy appears to have used this method as well. . .going about his daily business always accompanied by a reed he was refining. . .earning him the moniker 'Squeak' Mealy.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Jon C.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

How about saturating the reed by placing it in a vacuum, this will remove the air from the reed and stabilize the reed, without having to heat the reed. I have a vacuum table that I use for casting, that would work for this.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon