Which Keys and Why?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Piper Pig
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Which Keys and Why?

Post by Piper Pig »

Nuts! Now I'm more confused than ever. Since I'm new to the pipes I don't have a huge repertoire. I'm pretty interested in getting into some local sessions, that's why I thought the F and G# keys were the way to go, now, not too sure. I can afford to add only two keys now as the chanter is already back at the makers to be reeded. I guess what I'm asking depends on what type of music one plays. I appreciate the comments and hope you guys keep them coming. I still have a little while to figure it out.
DjUntzUntz

Post by DjUntzUntz »

it's fairly simple....at some point you may want to have all the keys on the chanter for the 'what if' situation...but for now just look at what tunes you like to play and what keys are eventually needed. that's really the only way to decide what keys are gonna be on the chanter first.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

You're a beginner - get none for now, and learn to play for a while. Or get two, any two, it doesn't matter, you won't be using them for a while. Then learn, learn, learn, and when you've saved up money for the rest, you might just be in a position to be able to use some of them.

Or get whichever the maker recommends