shoulder strap

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
DjUntzUntz
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: shoulder strap

Post by DjUntzUntz »

Cathy Wilde wrote:Before my present knotted latigo (leather lacing) strap-loop setup, I used an old rein.

There are also some very nice leather mandolin straps available; I've been eyeing those. But for now I'm content. I just add or remove a knot whenever I feel the need to bring the stock higher or lower.
You have an example of those mandolin straps? (for example a website where they are offered?)

And thanks Boyd. I'll take a look!
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Sure thing! Here are some that are considerably more expensive than your kid's belt, but they're handsome. You'd have to put a stud or button through the button end, but that shouldn't be hard.

http://www.jdmc.com/category/accessorie ... dolin.html

And these are a LOT more expensive, but they're downright gorgeous, and you can get them made to a spec length and have "non-button" ends (i.e., looped at each end).

http://www.lakotaleathers.com/products/mandolin/

Alternatively ... If you're the crafty sort you could go to a tack or harness shop, or even Tandy Leather (?if they still exist?), and get some leather strips and braid your own (that's basically what I've done with the one I have now). Disclaimer: Unless you're a macrame champion or marlinspike seaman, expect your homemade result to be a little lumpier than what you see here!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
DjUntzUntz

Post by DjUntzUntz »

Thank you kindly Cathy for the links.

I already noticed the NeoTech Mandolin strap. You can actually order that with 2 loop connectors. something like that would be very welcome
but I have to find out if they are buyable with 2 loops or if the loops have to be ordered seperately. The kid's belt works but isn't thát comfortable. It'll do for now.

I guess i'll have to contact the elk-strap makers about the length and 2 loops but the straps look very nice.
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

So, I just made myself a strap to adjust the position of my 3/4 set across my lap. I cut some plastic clips off of an old backpack and bought 4 feet of black strap, about 3/4 inch wide. Only had to sew on one half of the clip. I have the new strap resting under the top of the stock where it is tied to the bag. This holds the stock and regs in a position where my hand can comfortable reach them. I think I still have to figure out something to raise the regs up off of my thigh- such as a piece of dense foam which I can rest under the drones. Other suggestions?

Arbo
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

My strap lashup is slightly different since I have a full set, and so pass my strap around the other end of the stocks, and holds everything securely and at the right angle and elevation.
We had a recent thread about playing while standing. One of the pictures showed a piper standing in front of the Irish Automobile Club. If you examine this picture closely you can see he has rigged a sort of cradle to support the mainstocks. You can't see it, but the angle of the laces holding the stocks appear to converge up to a ring or some other attachment that allows the piper to attach his main shoulder strap. You might try something like this. You could then use a carabiner or D-clip to attach your shoulder strap to the cradle. Simple to detach when you are done.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
mke_mick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mke_mick »

Johnny Doran played standing, of course. I read somewhere that besides a shoulder strap, he had a little shelf (or wedge?) above his right hip to close the chanter on.

I wonder why more of us don't try that? We could march in parades like Highland pipers! On the other hand, maybe a $9,000 instrument isn't the best choice for schlepping around in crowds...

--Mick
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I walked around my kitchen playing my half-set with shoulder-strap rig the other day, just to see if it could be done. It could, though I think if I was going to play standing up I'd want some kind of a foot prop for my left leg. That "cradle" or "harness" idea is interesting ...

BRAINWAVE!!!! If you or your sweetie are crafty, you could do something like this:

Celtic knots, your personal choice of cord color, little talisman beads ... the possibilities are limitless.

And if you're not crafty, hit a few garage sales. The 70s were yonks ago, but I'm sure there are still more than a few macrame plant hangers around. (Probably with their resident philodendrons still alive in the pots!)

:-D
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Kevin L. Rietmann
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

$50 for a mandolin strap? WT F?

Punch two holes in a piece of scrap leather and run a cord through. DONE.

The advice about having the bag tied into the right place is important, sometimes it should be higher or lower depending on how your body is put together. I'd save the money you might spend on pricey straps and buy a second bag - or buy some naugahide and make a test bag, if you're interested in these things. It does make striking the keys a lot easier if the stock is tied in the best spot.

I've sewn my own bags out of two thickness of naug, with a sewn leather seam. Tandy Leather is still around and they have nice waxed nylon cord that works very well. Incidentally with the concert set bag I initially tied the stocks way too high, so retied lower down, turned some plugs, and tied the plugs into the old holes in the bag...can be done. Another reason to get a hobbyist lathe.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

I use one like this , it has loads of connection points for different sitting positions or playing while bungee jumping.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

rorybellows for the GOAL! :thumbsup:

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi