Recording Software Difficulties

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
KDMARTINKY
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Recording Software Difficulties

Post by KDMARTINKY »

I usually record using Audacity. Tonight I recorded some tunes both whistle and UPs. When I playbacked the tunes there was a 'clicking" noise in the background.

I checked all my connections and still the clicking. Ibelieve its a software glitch that I have. I had just updated the program with the latest version and I meet the software requirements.

Do any of you use this Audacity and if so, do you or have you had the safe difficulty?

Thanks
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
brescianimichele
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

cube

Post by brescianimichele »

use cubase or cubasis
{|_________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||]
\\
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

I used Audacity to record the 'noo toons' thread and have not had clicking problems, althogh DJM says he's getting bass rumbles when he listens to them. I get clicks when I play FLash format audio files and it appears to be a sound card problem. I wouldn't use cubase - it's not free :D .

Cheers,

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
simonknight

Post by simonknight »

I use SONAR but I suspect these programs suffer from the same basic types of issues. Things to try -

1. Reboot - I always reboot before recording. You never know what c**p is left in memory if you have run anything else.

2. Disable all virus / spyware

3. Turn off any unnecessary NT services - you're trying to get the machine as clean as possible.

If none of this works

Did you install anything else new that could be causing the problem?

Roll back to the older version of Audacity to see the upgrade was the issue.

Does Audacity have a forum?
Simon
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

ausdag wrote:...althogh DJM says he's getting bass rumbles when he listens to them...
Probably the curry... :P

Seriously, I also use Audacity. The quality is fine when I export to WAV. I can't export to MP3 so I have to convert the WAV to MP3. This is where the sound quality of the recording goes south.

The only other problem I have with Audacity is having more than 4 tracks - often the 5th or subsequent track is slightly faster than the first four. But what do you expect - it's shareware ?
PJ
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Thanks so much for the information......it might not be a problem with the software, but a problem with my mic, soundcard or speakers.

I will check them all out tonight and let you know.
Keith

MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

Anyone tried "Studio to Go" by Fervent Software?

Everything you need for studio software on a bootable CD that can be used on almost any computer.
Very prtable and I like the idea that I can use it at work without leaving a trace after re-boot.

I have been thinking about getting this for some time, anyone tried it?

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
Ailin

Post by Ailin »

Joseph,
Did you record that directly into the computer with a mic, or did you record it on another device and then transfer it to the computer using Audacity?
Reason I ask is that I have an older Sony minidisc player (no USB or software) that I record myself with, but I haven't figured out yet how to get Audacity to record and play it in stereo. It is a single line patch cord, supposedly stereo, that I use to transfer from minidisc to the computer's in-line to Audacity. It only plays on one speaker(mono) though. Short of putting in a sound card with stereo jacks, I am wondering if there is any "trick" to getting it to play in stereo with my current setup. The sound of my pipes is nice and full on the minidisc player, and that's the way I want it to sound on the computer. Anyone?
Ailin
He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead.
djm

Post by djm »

You should have a stereo out on the MD. Similarly, your sound card should have stereo in. If the inputs are separate on the sound card, you will have to get a splitter cable from Radio Shack. The MD uses mini plugs. If your sound card takes RCA plugs, get a stereo mini to RCA splitter cable. There are many possible permutations.

Make sure you are recording stereo on your MD. Lots of people record in mon to save disk space on the MD. If that's what you want, you can always record mono into your PC, and then copy the track left and right to simulate stereo for a fuller sound.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
myrddinemrys
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

simonknight wrote:I use SONAR but I suspect these programs suffer from the same basic types of issues. Things to try -

1. Reboot - I always reboot before recording. You never know what c**p is left in memory if you have run anything else.

2. Disable all virus / spyware

3. Turn off any unnecessary NT services - you're trying to get the machine as clean as possible.

If none of this works

Did you install anything else new that could be causing the problem?

Roll back to the older version of Audacity to see the upgrade was the issue.

Does Audacity have a forum?
He's probably using linux, rebooting and spyware removal are typically not issues.
Wild Goose Studios Music, reed making and pipe making.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Ailin wrote:Joseph,
Did you record that directly into the computer with a mic, or did you record it on another device and then transfer it to the computer using Audacity?
I recorded it directly into the microphone that came with my computer.
myrddinemrys
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

KD, hey you might want to troubleshoot your setup. Whenever I have trouble, I check the following:
1. try recording with another program. If I get the same problem, then it's not the program.
2. I try to use different cables, mics, etc. If switching to newer/different cables doesn't do it, the answer is somewhere else.
3. Make sure there's no clicking in your environs; your mic might be picking it up.
4. If this is still an issue, try troubleshooting your soundcard by making sure your mic gain is not too high. Under Linux, if you're using ALSA, this is your "capture" fader. Under Windows it might be under the same name. If the gain is set too high, your signal will clip. Digital clipping may sound like intermittent clicking, or if the gain is way too high, it will sound like the most awful distortion you've ever heard in your life.

Please feel free to email me or IM if you're stuck.
Oh, and if you can send me a sample, that would help me hear what you're talking about.
Wild Goose Studios Music, reed making and pipe making.
djm

Post by djm »

Another source of noise can be from power cables. All power cables are surrounded by a small electromagnetic field. If your mic cable touches or runs along the side of power cables this can introduce unwanted noise into your audio signal. Be sure to keep the two separated.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

I have used all of your suggestions and the clicking is still present. I think tomorrow I will remove the program and use another recording software to see if the clicking is still present.

thanks to all :)
Keith