Alan Lomax Archive online (sort of)

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Kevin L. Rietmann
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Alan Lomax Archive online (sort of)

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

It does work, only problem is they haven't loaded all the files onto their server. This is the Sound Recordings Index, lots of Irish material there but the MP3s never work. This is the directory of the MP3s that are on their server, thing is, these are all of recordings from the American South, and a few from Trinidad, as far as I can tell. The tape index lists plenty of recordings made in Ireland, which makes me think they're tackling this problem now.
Another big snafu here is that the files have dreary unfriendly names like "T3332R06.part.mp3," which is listed as "Untitled Reel , by Seamus Ennis." So you'll have to rename these files yourself if you want to keep track of anything. Unlike the equally amazing Virtual Gramophone site of archival Candian Music, the Lomaxers aren't providing ID3 tag material with their files, these let you know the artist, title of selection, album, genre, all that hoo-ha, which allows you to keep track of files in various ways.
There's a huge amount of stuff on the Lomax site anyway, the Irish material looks fantastic - Ennis, Michael Gorman, Neil Boyle, Aggie Whyte. Lots of singers.
djm

Post by djm »

The Lomax Collection, Volume 11 - Ireland, is available on CD from Rounder Records. Are the on-line recordings different from what is on the already published CD?

Thx,

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Kevin L. Rietmann

djm wrote:The Lomax Collection, Volume 11 - Ireland
I think you mean Vol. II, i.e., World Library of Folk and Primitive Music —V. 2: Ireland. Volume 11 is listed as AFRICA II vol. 11, Rounder 1753.
djm wrote: is available on CD from Rounder Records. Are the on-line recordings different from what is on the already published CD?
The online stuff is much more extensive, the CD simply seems to duplicate the original LP issue from 1951.
djm

Post by djm »

Okay, I see what you mean about none of the mp3 links working. I have written them to inquire about this state of affairs and will let you know what they say.

Thx,

djm
AlanB
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by AlanB »

Kevin,

Thanks!! That is brilliant. I can't believe I'm listening to Texas Gladden singing 'The Three Babes'. You've made my day....
djm

Post by djm »

Okay, I've just heard back from the Lomax Collection folks and they tell me this is an error with the site. It will be fixed within 24-48 hours.

djm
Kevin L. Rietmann

Here she is with Lomax.

Lots of audible goodies at the American Folklife Center Online Presentations, including stuff recorded by Lomax's parents, old cylinders. Hey, I just noticed the The WPA California Folk Music Project section has Croatian bagpipes, Chinese long-necked lute, Viola d'arame (Also called "Portuguese viola"). Thank you Library of Congress!
sean an piobaire

Post by sean an piobaire »

Dobre den ! Yes Croatians and their Diple / Meh pipes were all up and down the California coast from San Francisco down to San Pedro (L.A.). They were mostly Dalmatian fishermen, and in my area around Monterey, they were associated with the Italian /Sicilian fishermen. That was also true for San Pedro where they had a joint Fishermen's Picnic every year. This is the part of the old empire of Venice, East coast of Italy, West Coast of Croatia, heritage, on both sides of Adriatic Sea.
( Yeah, Dalmatia, where the spotted dogs supposedly come from).
So the Dalmatians could speak enough Italian to the Sicilians they were working with, on the boats. How's that for cross cultural? The Duquesne University of Pittsburgh (Penn.) "Tamburitsan Orchestra" comes to Watsonville, scusi, "Watson Grad" whenever they tour the West Coast,
I.E. Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Watson Grad, Los Angeles, etc.
They also shared the Catholic Church, as well. I remember a fellow who came by Hector Bezanis' apartment 1996 or so, with a Diple that he bought from the Alameda city museum "yardsale" for $25 U.S."razbutniks " USD. It could have been one of those Hrvatski Diplar's "Meh" from the 1930s.
Please Kevin, where's the music download for those pipers? Damn! I think you ARE a Search Engine! I found those photos back in 2002, but that was because a friend told me about 'em..... Sean
Kevin L. Rietmann

I've been called a lot of things but never a Search Engine!
I think that's paraphrasing an old Gary Cooper movie...
Anyway This is the website for The WPA California Folk Music Project, on this page you can Broswe by "Subject Index | Ethnic Groups | Performers | Musical Instruments | Audio Titles," Musical Instruments includes "Misnice: Also called "Mjersnice (one from Dalmatia, one from Hezegovina) . . . bagpipes made out of the skin of a goat . . . The chanter is a double pipe with six holes on each side. One pipe is used as the drone and occasionally fingered, the other side used for the tune, in nearly the same register as the drone."

There's a seperate page for each performance, lots of photographs and sketchs. The bagpiper is a dude name of John Botica, described thus: "Sidney Robertson Cowell notes on verso of photograph: "Mr. Boro" [sic] from Yugo-Slavia, a Croat, . . . a small California wine grower who played several instruments -- gusla [gusle], the bagpipes, and others."

The "Dalmatian Dance" has this helpful note from Cowell, written on the record's dust jacket: "This sounds as if the needle had stuck in a groove--but the repetitions are as Mr. B. played them."

An invaluable program for downloading schtuff is Free Download Manager. You can set up a heap of files and it does all the dirty work automatically, resumes broken downloads, etc. I've already downloaded all the WPA site stuff, for instance - took about two hours. Well actually all the exotic instrumental stuff, I'll get to the banjo/fiddle/gospel music some other time.
sean an piobaire

Post by sean an piobaire »

Thanks for putting the photos on Kevin ! You have inspired me to put some links up, as well ! I am not an agent for these people, this is done WITHOUT their knowledge by bagpipe nut, "ME"-Sean Folsom who says buyer BE ware "Caveat Emptor" as there is the language barrier, just to start with and "BabbleFish" the online auto-translator, doesn't handle Croatian (or Serbian, for that matter).
For shots of the modern Croatians playing their diples (DIP-PLAYS) "double pipes" or
Meh (Me-ch soft ch) "bag" Click on "Ivan's Night 2001" photos in colour

http://ivanjskenoci1.tripod.com/diple2001.htm

For instruments, IN MY OPINION ranked from IN expensive to EX pensive:
try Todor and Nikola Komazec (father and son)

http://www.komazec.com/narudzbee.htm

Next is "Dan" (AKA) Slobodan Hadjikan who used to live in Vancouver, B.C., Canada, for many years. Dan had a folkdance ensemble there AND he has EXCELLENT ENGLISH. he is now living in Brezovica, near Zagreb,Croatia.
E-mail slobodanhadjikan@yahoo.ca

Last but not least is the site of Stjepan (Steven) Veckovic. Lotsa photos,
very involved, encyclopedic, offering, by a world-traveling Bagpiper, who has "been-to" just about everywhere.
http://scena.heu.hr/stjepan-veckovic/english.html
(I can't seem to get the address to work right, just now)
I should also mention Daniel Winfree Papuga, who is a University Prof. who lives part-time in Oslo, Norway. He runs a "virtual" Norwegian UP club in Oslo...it's virtual, BECAUSE Daniel is living alot of the time in Istria, Croatia. Daniel showed up at my door in Oakland, California, in 1977.
He was looking for a reed for his Crowley (D. or T. I can't remember) chanter in "D". Dan used to drop by the S.F. Pipers Club events over the years, as his Rusyn-American parents lived in San Jose, where Daniel grew up.
His Email is papuga@c2i.net So there you have it! BabbleFrog Sean
P.S. you can see my Diple on www.hotpipes.com/pipe0027.html with range of chanter etc. SF
djm

Post by djm »

The folks at the Lomax Collection finally got most of the tracks loaded onto their server, but I have now found out that these are only samples, not the full tracks. I contacted them about this. They informed me that it is too cost-prohibitive for them to make full tracks available, plus there are outstanding copyright issues that prevent them from making full tracks available for free. They are looking into possible solutions.

They tell me the only way to get full tracks are the two CDs from Rounder Records: World Library of Folk and Primitive Music ‹V. 2: Ireland, Rounder 1742, and Folk Songs of England, Ireland, Scotland & Wales. These are not the full collection, however.

djm
Kevin L. Rietmann

Hey, up and working! The "Unidentified Reel" Ennis plays is what else but the Drunken Landlady, him at the top of his form. This is the same session that produced all the stuff on the Columbia LP - Bucks of Oranmore, Women of the House, etc. Don't get no better than that piping that is hear at all costs!
Did you ask about letting out the whole files to us at cost or something, D? Ala the Chapel Hill program.
Yer links are great stuff too, Sean!
djm

Post by djm »

Sorry, Kevin, they are tied up in copyright. They have no solution at this time. I was considering asking about direct purchase as you suggest, but I am skint.

djm
Kevin L. Rietmann

djm wrote:I am skint.
You should put some lotion on that before it spreads! You could be badly disfigured in the end!!! :lol:
Is being skint like being Curious Yellow?
Low on buckage, eh? If I follow your vernacular. Well, I paid Peter Kennedy $20 to hear Seamus tell a 20 minute story and play the Frieze Britches, I'll give it a go with these Lomaxers.
"Unidentified Air" is the Copperplate Reel. Like they'd say on Seinfeld, Who Are these People?
bensdad

who are these people

Post by bensdad »

Don't you love the piece labelled "Unidentified pipe tune (false start)"
Otherwise known as Seamus checking his tuning....