6/01/05 Emma's Jig

No. Not about haircuts. Discussion forum for the Clips and Snips tune archive.
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

6/01/05 Emma's Jig

Post by TonyHiggins »

6/01/05 Welcome to Brian Sanderson (chiff name: bjs), who writes, "I'm a newcomer. Wrote this jig, Emma's Jig, to celebrate birth of grandaughter. Whistle is Overton soprano D. Used a small Sony stereo mic which goes with the minidisc player." (saved in orig)

Martin Milner, who played The Sheepshearers, posted on 5/18/05, sent me the following infomation at my request:
" I'd guess this tune dates from around the Napoleonic era, but could be earlier. Many English tunes were written down in personal manuscripts by the players of old, and it's hard to know exactly how old things are. This one was still being played in 1941, and it's from a recording of "The Dorset Trio" that the transcription was produced. I attended a "Village Band" workshop at the Oxford Folk Festival, and this is one of the tunes that appears in Dave Townsend's book "The Village Band Book". This contains 34 traditional Englsih tunes, set out in 4 parts. Only one is in a non-fiddle friendly key (two flats). The melody is complimented by a harmony derived from dropping down a third or a sixth, written by Dave Townsend, and there are two more parts, usually just a simple bass line. The tunes also give chords, so I could have added a chordal drone, or we could have added a guitar or something if time permitted. The instrument used for all three parts is my Gliga Gama 2 violin. Possibly a different mix of instruments would have produced a different feel. I was playing quite slowly, not up to dance speed, as I had only heard the tune the day before."
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”