Paddy's Lamentation (in Gangs of New York)

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Rhadge

Paddy's Lamentation (in Gangs of New York)

Post by Rhadge »

I watched Gangs of New York for the first time yesterday.
Besides being an okay movie, it had some good music.

I noted Paddy's Lamentation performed in it, I'm pretty sure it was Mary Black singing, but it had an accordion part in the end that isn't on De Dannan's Anthem. Is this version of the song on any other De Dannan album, or on some Mary Black solo album, or was this a "motion picture exclusive"?
projektio28
antispam: No

Re: Paddy's Lamentation (in Gangs of New York)

Post by projektio28 »

According to Amazon the song is done by an artist named Linda Thompson:

http://www.amazon.com/Gangs-New-York-Ho ... 575&sr=8-1

Cheers!

Matt
"The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it. White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise." - J.R.R. Tolkien
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Interesting problem here.

I have heard Mary Black singing the song but that is definitely Linda Thompson on the Amazon link.

Frank Harte recorded the song some years ago and himself and Mary Black were very good friends so I assume that she learnt it from him. I've heard Sinead O'Connor singing it somewhere. I have the Frank Harte version, which is excellent btw, so if ye want a copy send me a pm with an Email address.

Slan,
D. :wink:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

According to the IMDB listing ... Both Mary Black and Linda Thompson* perform it on the soundtrack, but only the Linda Thompson recording is included on the soundtrack album.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0217505/soundtrack

* A good clue, Matt. But "An artist named Linda Thompson" is a bit like saying "an artist named Bob Dylan." She's pretty famous, you know, half of Richard and Linda Thompson. :-)

The Mary Black recording seems to be included in the compilation album "Long Journey Home":

http://www.amazon.com/Paddys-Lamentatio ... B001BHG5V4

The track is listed with the tune Ships are Sailing. So maybe that's the accordion bit you hear at the end?
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Well now that you mention it MT, it was Ships are Sailing at the end of the Mary Black version that I heard.

Who was Bob Dylan half of :lol:

Slan,
D. :)
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

dubhlinn wrote:Well now that you mention it MT, it was Ships are Sailing at the end of the Mary Black version that I heard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VCX-Zdz5qA

Yep, that's definitely it. Rhadge, see: http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/543
dubhlinn wrote:Who was Bob Dylan half of :lol:
"Dylan and Dubhlinn", wasn't it? :wink:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

I love Sinead's version of it.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

dubhlinn wrote: Frank Harte recorded the song some years ago and himself and Mary Black were very good friends so I assume that she learnt it from him. I've heard Sinead O'Connor singing it somewhere. I have the Frank Harte version, which is excellent btw, so if ye want a copy send me a pm with an Email address.
Is that the same Paddy Lamentation that Paul Brady recorded on The Gathering?
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Rhadge

Post by Rhadge »

Thanks for the help.
projektio28

Post by projektio28 »

MTGuru wrote:* A good clue, Matt. But "An artist named Linda Thompson" is a bit like saying "an artist named Bob Dylan." She's pretty famous, you know, half of Richard and Linda Thompson. :-)
Gracious me, is she fairly famous? Now I know! I've heard of Mary Black, but never Linda before... My apologies to Linda! ;)

Matt
"The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it. White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise." - J.R.R. Tolkien
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

projektio28 wrote:
MTGuru wrote:* A good clue, Matt. But "An artist named Linda Thompson" is a bit like saying "an artist named Bob Dylan." She's pretty famous, you know, half of Richard and Linda Thompson. :-)
Gracious me, is she fairly famous? Now I know! I've heard of Mary Black, but never Linda before... My apologies to Linda! ;)

Matt
Unless I mistake his age, Linda Thompson has had nervous vocal cord paralysis for all but six months* of Matt's life.

*It's stage-fright induced. She tried a botox injection to knock out the muscle that freaks out and shuts her down, but the effect wore off after six months, and a follow-up wasn't as successful. She did manage to get out an album and tour for the first time in forever.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
projektio28

Post by projektio28 »

s1m0n wrote:Unless I mistake his age, Linda Thompson has had nervous vocal cord paralysis for all but six months* of Matt's life.
I was five years younger in that picture than I am now. I'm a really old 30 now. :P (Mental note: Update picture assuming a flattering one can be found!) :lol:

Matt
Steve L

Post by Steve L »

I seem to remember Andy M. Stewart doing a nice version of this in the early 80s or so.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

He certainly did, Steve. By coincidence, I was talking to him on the phone last night. He'll be doing a concert with Gerry O'Beirne at Glasgow's "Celtic Connections" festival towards the end of January. He's been laid up recently with a busted ankle, but is on the mend.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"