Kevin Crawford low whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
tucson_whistler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Kevin Crawford low whistle

Post by tucson_whistler »

oh, i see. somehow i got the idea KC was playing a F Grinter while the rest were playing D Chieftains. but you're saying they were all playing F whistles? that makes sense then.

ok, so i guess i'll keep an eye on ebay for a near-mythical f grinter to show up... :)

cheers,
eric

ps i tried to friend Mr. Crawford on facebook, so far he hasn't accepted but i think i still have a shot ;)
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

tucson_whistler wrote:ok, so i guess i'll keep an eye on ebay for a near-mythical f grinter to show up...
You're not the only one looking for a Grinter either according to Mr. Crawford on the Lunasa forum.
kevflute wrote:Well, we use lot's of whistles to be honest depending on what's required key wise etc.
I play a variety of Plastic, aluminium,brass and wooden whistles.
Made by Susato, Sindt, Burke, Grinter and Ian Corrigan (Deerness pipes).
On the Morning nightcap set I was playing a Susato 'C' but on other Lunasa tracks I've used Grinter wooden and Sindt brass 'D' whistles.
I really prefer the wooden whistles but they require a lit more care and attention and they are a little bit more expensive generally too.
My Grinter wooden whistles were stolen in New Zealand a few years ago and I've only replaced one of them since as he is very busy making flutes.
However recently I got a fantastic wooden whistle in 'D' from a relatively new maker in the UK Ian Corrigan and I'm playing this all the time now.
Hope this helps a little.
Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Just heard back from Kevin on FaceBook and he confirms the Grinter low F and also says he alternates between an old original Overton and an MK for the last couple of years. He says he uses the MK for faster or more technically challenging tunes because it allows him "to be a little more articulate with both the fingering and blowing as its an extremely efficient instrument". He says of the Overton, that it has "the most beautiful full bodied low whistle sound and is perfect for haunting slow airs or moody pieces".

Hope this settles it...

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
tucson_whistler

Feadoggie; thanks for the quote. i'll have to check out that forum. :)

Pat, when you say overton and mk, do you mean in F, or D, or both?

cheers,
eric
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

The Overton and MK are both in low D, according to Kevin.
plunk111

Post by plunk111 »

Got this addition from Kevin, so thought I'd post it...

"Just in case you're wondering, my tin whistles are a varied bunch. Ranging from Susato 'C' and Burke 'D' at gigs to Grinter 'D', Sindt 'D', Freeman 'Eb' 'C' and 'Bb' for recording etc.
Kev "

Pat
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Eric, I just wanted to add that Kevin Crawford sounds fantastic on most any whistle. So looking for what whistle he plays on a particular recording is only part of the equation. I have a recording somewhere around here of him playing one of my self-made low whistles. He makes anything sound good. He's just a very powerful and expressive player. So don't discount the magic that comes from years of woodsheding.

The Grinter is still a great sounding whistle though. Oh, and thanks for mentioning "The Last Pint". I had forgotten that Pierre Bensusan was going to be playing in the area soon. So thanks for the reminder. Kind of cosmic really!

Feadoggie
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

plunk111 wrote:Got this addition from Kevin ...

"... Freeman 'Eb' 'C' and 'Bb' ... ."
Now that's made my day and then some.

Best wishes,
Jerry
You can purchase my whistles on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/freemanwhistle ... pg=&_from=

or directly from me:

email jerry ("at") freemanwhistles ("dot") com or send a PM.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

Some time ago amidst one of the many anti-Susato rantings, I came across him playing a Susato and thought well there you go; isn't that a fine and wonderful whistle. :D

As for Grinter, I once had a red lancewood low F and a high D in the same material - absolutely gorgeous. I think I gifted one that might have been developing a crack and donated the other; red lancewood is not as stable as some other woods (curing being equal) like blackwood or ironwood or cocobolo. Those Grinter whistles though had a beautiful and unique tone. Red lancewood is very grainy.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
tucson_whistler

Feadoggie wrote:Kind of cosmic really!
:)

@Pat: ok, so i'm confused again... you didn't mention any F flutes at all, and i thought we established that his Grinter is an F and the rest got stolen?

@Feadoggie: yeah, i know my mystical holy grail quest for the perfect whistle is doomed to failure; any whistle i find will still be played by me, and thus poorly... :)

@Mr. Freeman: did you get my email? i also need to order a C whistle from you... :)

cheers,
eric
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

tucson_whistler wrote:@Feadoggie: yeah, i know my mystical holy grail quest for the perfect whistle is doomed to failure; any whistle i find will still be played by me, and thus poorly... :)
I was thinking a bit more optimistically. :) There are other ways to get there than one particular whistle. Have you thought about taking a workshop with Kevin? He's a good teacher and a lot of fun to be around.

Feadoggie
plunk111

Post by plunk111 »

tucson:

Look at the message of 6:06PM on the 20th - It is a Grinter low F...

Pat
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

tucson_whistler wrote:@Feadoggie: yeah, i know my mystical holy grail quest for the perfect whistle is doomed to failure; any whistle i find will still be played by me
The fact that Kevin is happy to play Susatos, or whatever is at hand, should tell you something. :wink:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
tucson_whistler

Feadoggie wrote:Have you thought about taking a workshop with Kevin? He's a good teacher and a lot of fun to be around.
yes! i almost caught him in Dublin, but then couldn't make it. it is definitely on my list of things to do though. :) in fact, i think i might technically be cyber-stalking him now.

:)

cheers,
eric
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

plunk111 wrote: he uses the MK for faster or more technically challenging tunes because it allows him "to be a little more articulate with both the fingering and blowing as its an extremely efficient instrument". He says of the Overton, that it has "the most beautiful full bodied low whistle sound and is perfect for haunting slow airs or moody pieces".
It's nice to be able to hear these perspectives from a player of his quality.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle