Who plays old flutes?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Gabriel
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Who plays old flutes?

Post by Gabriel »

Hi fluters,

I wonder how many of us are playing old flutes, i.e. antique ones made long before we all were alive, as their main instruments (if such a thing exists among us polyfluticious lunatics). What do they have to offer what others don't have?

Come on, do tell!
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Who plays old flutes?

Post by dow »

I play a William Hall & Son six key in cocus. Originally it had ivory rings, although I believe that they've all been replaced. It's essentially identical to the Firth, Hall, & Pond six key that Grey Larsen plays and that was the pattern for McGee's GLP. It's a great flute. One of Jon C's refurb jobs. I've had it for about three years, I think.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
chris_coreline
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by chris_coreline »

:thumbsup:

My main and at the moment, only axe is a potentially english, probably 19th centuray wooden keyed flute restored by Jem, its an absolute star, and my only complaint about it is that i cant blaim it for my own faults as a player.

What does it offer that other flutes dont?

History,
Challenge,
A full rack of keys for cheep
tucson_whistler

Post by tucson_whistler »

chris_coreline wrote:A full rack of keys for cheep
that's why i bought my first antique flute... i got a 6-key boxwood for $350. you have to be kidding me! :)

then i got a german flute on ebay and had Jon C restore it... i got lucky and it's pretty in tune, so i got a blackwood 8-key flute for less than $300. that's about 10% of the cost of a new one. imagine getting a 90% discount on a new flute. :)

i just won a william & son 4-key in cocus on ebay, but it hasn't got here yet... hopefully my lucky streak will continue. but Pat plays a similar one, i believe, as his main flute, so you can ask him. :)

cheers,
eric
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Hi Gabriel,
I play a few antiques. My main go to flute now is a Blackman, London I got from Jon C. I haven't had it that long but love it.
It just responds nicely to everthing I give it. The rings are beautiful and the low keys respond well. It's low pitched but I play sharp so plays okay with the head all the way in.

I also have an anonymous Metzlerish flute also from Jon C. that I like but I would like a new head as it is a little quiet even after a year or so adjusting and trying to get more volume. The intonation is really good for an antique even with the slide out a bit. I have trouble with the low C but C sharp is no problem. AL under keys.
Here is an old clip made not long after I got the flute and before I had control of top hand rolls (which only came recently after 14 or so years of playing):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t-aG1Jb ... re=related

My other D is an unlined boxwood Olwell. I prefer the antiques these days but the tuning on the Olwell can't be beat and take less overall effort. Can relax a bit more on modern flutes if that makes sense but the effort is well worth it with the others. More honk on the Blackman for me a the moment will have to get some up to date clips.

And of course we all know Jon C is the man for you're antique flute needs, Thank You Jon
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Do I really need to say....... ? :poke: :boggle:
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

No Jem, but I entirely understand you. Mine is great as well. ;)

Ah, and that Blackman looks nice...
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

I've very recently moved to an antique flute, a six key HY Potter in cocuswood, large hole rudall style. It's taking a while to get used to the embouchure, very different from the easy one on the average modern flute. I'll give more details in a few weeks of months, but anyway it's really lovely.
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
dholly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by dholly »

I regularly play an eight-key William Hall & Son too. A very nice flute that keeps up with three fiddles, a concertina, drum, bouzuki and a whistle player every Thursday night. Here is its twin at the Dayton-Miller collection. Jon called it a train wreck when he first saw it, but he returned it a beauty. Doug.

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/map_item. ... lute%29%29
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

My main flute is a 4-key Wm Hall with a John Gallagher headjoint. In response to an earlier post - I physically laid mine next to Grey Larsen's during one of our workshops and the body is identical to his Firth and Pond. His has 6 keys and mine has 4, but the hole sizes and placements and the tube size are all virtually identical. I love this flute (a lot). Not sure if I'll ever find one I like better, but I AM a "fickle fluter", so no guarantees! Now if I just had a spare $3000+ for one of John Gallagher's 6-key R & R models, well...

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

Gabriel wrote:Hi fluters,

I wonder how many of us are playing old flutes, i.e. antique ones made long before we all were alive, as their main instruments (if such a thing exists among us polyfluticious lunatics). What do they have to offer what others don't have?

Come on, do tell!
hmmm let's see..they offer... cracks, broken keys, warped bores, strangled tenons, off pitched, unmodern tuning, false pride, denial; i guess they call all that 'character'.
headaches, heartaches and broken dreams - there should be a country western song about them.
heck apart from that i think they're great, ...almost as good as a modern made one.
Sillydill

Post by Sillydill »

SWEETNESS! :thumbsup:

When I want something sweet (sounding) I reach for these!

Most contemporary "Irish flutes" are: powerful and rather brash in nature. :twisted:
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

there are plenty sweet sounding modern flutes...but let's pretend there isn't (denial)
Sillydill

Post by Sillydill »

Hey Rama,

I'll beg to differ. :D

The closest I had found was a Gonzalo Caride and second was a Phil Bleazey. But I never did get to try a Rod Cameron or John Gallagher.
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
Holmes

Post by Holmes »

rama wrote: hmmm let's see..they offer... cracks, broken keys, warped bores, strangled tenons, off pitched, unmodern tuning, false pride, denial; i guess they call all that 'character'.
headaches, heartaches and broken dreams - there should be a country western song about them.
heck apart from that i think they're great, ...almost as good as a modern made one.
Hi Rama

Can I have your F Prattens then?

All the best

H

http://www.box.net/shared/xsh39ddn71 D H&Mc

http://www.box.net/shared/av4ot966ah F Pratten (buried in song)
Save your hot air for blowing down your flute