Posting clips

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Posting clips

Post by jemtheflute »

I too very much enjoyed Tomo's clip. Thanks for posting!

Here's my latest offering: Piccolo Persecution. I hope this shows how sweet these can be, and not painful, even well into the 3rd 8ve (that's a top A at the very end). Of course, filmed on my phonecam, the audio is auto-level peak-compressed etc., but hasn't been post-produced in any way.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

jemtheflute wrote:I too very much enjoyed Tomo's clip. Thanks for posting!

Here's my latest offering: Piccolo Persecution. I hope this shows how sweet these can be, and not painful, even well into the 3rd 8ve (that's a top A at the very end). Of course, filmed on my phonecam, the audio is auto-level peak-compressed etc., but hasn't been post-produced in any way.
Jem,

Excellent! Those are my favorite tunes I've heard from you. I've never enjoyed the piccolo more. Beautiful, soft sound. That's it-- at your best you are a Welsh piccolo player. Brilliant.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Thanks, Jason - very kind of you. Glad you like! :) However, I'm quite sure I don't do my best playing on picc!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

A night for a tune... a one take on the Burns Bb. Don't know the name of the first tune. The second is the Gander at the Pratie Hole. taken at a leisurely pace....
Arbo

http://www.box.net/shared/dnrr6x99jn

[ The first tune is Na Ceannabháin Bhana, sometimes translated as The Cotton Grass Flowers. - MTGuru ]
Last edited by ImNotIrish on Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

ImNotIrish wrote:A night for a tune... a one take on the Burns Bb. Don't know the name of the first tune. The second is the Gander at the Pratie Hole. taken at a leisurely pace....
Arbo

http://www.box.net/shared/dnrr6x99jn

[ The first tune is Na Ceannabháin Bhana, sometimes translated as The Cotton Grass Flowers. - MTGuru ]

Thanks MT!
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

I've never heard it translated as that before!

The bog cotton and the fair-haired cannavans are the usual translations, which is a nice pun. There's a story and words with it too.
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

This isn't exactly a clip, it's a video from one of our sessions this last weekend, but I thought I'd post it anyway. The other flutist is Alec Brown. Banjo is Ellen Stern, bodhran is Joe Ott, accordion is Scott Moye, and Len Holton on guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6kqK5f2h-M

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
tomo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by tomo »

Arbo,

I wish I could play the Bb flute like you do... and I love those tunes!

James,

I also like playing Irish music with an accordion player. In that video, he plays the melodeon!

My wife and I recorded two jigs the other day. They are good tunes!
(Jigs) The Lilting Fisherman, The Humours of Ballymore

Cheers,
Tomoyuki
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

tomo wrote:Arbo,

I wish I could play the Bb flute like you do... and I love those tunes!

James,

I also like playing Irish music with an accordion player. In that video, he plays the melodeon!

My wife and I recorded two jigs the other day. They are good tunes!
(Jigs) The Lilting Fisherman, The Humours of Ballymore

Cheers,
Tomoyuki

Thank you Tomo!
And I wish I had a partner with who I could play tunes as well. You two are great!
Arbo
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

A couple of jigs.... since I had the flute out anyway!
Arbo

http://www.box.net/shared/5lavnxk9gmjkp2mhqy5j
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Arbo, nicely done!

You are getting a very focused tone but also still a very "wooden" sound--you've got a nice bark to your playing.

--- o --- O --- o ---

Here's the Galway Reel. This is a version that I transcribed from Matt Molloy's playing--I was ill over the weekend and through the first part of the week, and worked on the transcription off and on to keep myself distracted.

I am not entirely satisfied with this recording, but then again, I never am.

http://flutesite.com/galway.mp3

--James

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

peeplj wrote:Arbo, nicely done!

You are getting a very focused tone but also still a very "wooden" sound--you've got a nice bark to your playing.

--- o --- O --- o ---

Here's the Galway Reel. This is a version that I transcribed from Matt Molloy's playing--I was ill over the weekend and through the first part of the week, and worked on the transcription off and on to keep myself distracted.

I am not entirely satisfied with this recording, but then again, I never am.

http://flutesite.com/galway.mp3

--James

Thanks James!

Love the sound you are getting from your flute! (what flute is it?). I had some trouble following the tune... thought it sounded like a hornpipe at times. Wondering if you might try it again slower?

Enjoyed the video clip of you recently posted. Nice little session.

Arbo
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Thank you! :) That's my Hammy.

The tune is a reel. I have a recording of it on the "Best of the Chieftains" album where it is the first tune on the first track. I couldn't find a flute setting of this tune that I liked, so I finally just transcribed this version.

I love that track, it's a very nicely put together set: the Galway, Miss Lyon's Fancy, the Glass of Beer, and then Sweeney's Dream. Great tunes!

--James

-------
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

peeplj wrote:Thank you! :) That's my Hammy.

The tune is a reel. I have a recording of it on the "Best of the Chieftains" album where it is the first tune on the first track. I couldn't find a flute setting of this tune that I liked, so I finally just transcribed this version.

I love that track, it's a very nicely put together set: the Galway, Miss Lyon's Fancy, the Glass of Beer, and then Sweeney's Dream. Great tunes!

--James
Listened to your clip, James. Well done; very well done. I've listened to that Chieftain's track many a time and marveled at Molloy's playing in it. You are very close to really nailing this. Your tone, intonation, ornaments are all really good. What seems to me to be the final aspect that would cement everything would be to be more solid on the beat and with the tempo/rhythm. Perhaps practicing with a metronome might help, starting off slower than the recorded tempo, making sure you nail the downbeats (the 1 beat of each bar) and hit the 2 beats, along with keeping all the syncopated emphasized notes completely in time. Do that, I think you'll move from very good to excellent.

Cheers,

Jason
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Here's a set I sent to James to listen to. Thought I may as well include it here.
Arbo

http://www.box.net/shared/2ops6guctn069p306sc7