Sam Murray Grenser on E-bay

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
dunnp
antispam: No

Re: Sam Murray Grenser on E-bay

Post by dunnp »

I always wanted to try this flute out:

http://www.martindoyleflutes.com/baroque-flutes.html

I can't listen to the clip just now but I remember liking it. I don't know much about baroque flutes besides the aulos I tried and sweet's old model.
Clinton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

A few modern traverso makers

Post by Clinton »

A few of the more well known specialty traverso makers are: Simon Polak, Alain Weemaels, Martin Wenner, Jean-Francois Beaudin, Rod Cameron, Folkers and Powell (now retired), jan De Winne, Boaz Berney, Claire Soubeyran...

This is an extremely incomplete list. Most of these makers have models in the $1.5-$2.2k range, with a few outliers in price dependent on options (Lots of extra corps, or high silver content instruments for instance). A few also make student models with less ornate exteriors. It is a small market, but with diligent searching one can find used versions for somewhat less.

Clinton
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

John Gallagher also makes superb baroque flutes - check out Colin St Martin's work with one of John's flutes here.
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

As does Patrick Von Huene in the Boston area...

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

The Murray Grenser went for 1500 USD = 960 sterling whereas the Olwell Baroque flute only mustered 511 USD = 326 sterling - not sold as the reserve wasn't met.
paddler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by paddler »

I talked to the seller about the Olwell. Her reserve was $1200, which I think was quite reasonable. I just couldn't afford it though. I think part of the problem was that there was a problem with her eBay listing - it didn't show up on searches from the US. I only found it via Jem's post here. She'll probably try relisting it. I also suggested she might try to sell it direct here and save some eBay fees.