Uilleann piper bloodline and isolated pipers.

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
ennischanter
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Uilleann piper bloodline and isolated pipers.

Post by ennischanter »

I don't really know HOW to put it in words, but bloodline is the closest thing I could think of. The "bloodline" I'm talking about is for example: I was reading about Tommy Reck, and how he learned from John Potts who, in turn, learned from pipers that went as far back as the pre famine I think. Or Liam O'Flynn who had lessons from Leo Rowsome(who piping goes back for many generations), and also had much influence from a Willie Clancy, and Séamus Ennis. And their piping influence goes back all the way to the pre famine I think...

So that's what I mean about bloodline, pipers who leaned and were influenced from many previous generations of pipers leading ALL the way back.

And I am wondering, if I, an isolated piper, who gets much of my influence from the old pipers like: Ennis, Clancy, Reck, and some newer pipers, like Paddy Moloney, and Liam O'Flynn. If I could technically still a part of that bloodline, that could possibly go back all the way to the Pre-Famine? (It would be super cool and a big honor if it was a yes!)

So, in-short, if I am STILL not making much sense! :-? As an isolated piper who tries to play the old fashioned style, would getting influence and trying to play in the similar style like these pipers I have mentioned, who got lessons and influence from many many generations going all the way back, would I technically still BE a part of this bloodline?

I hope I make sense, because I am very very very very very very very curious and interested in this phenomenon, and am interested in what you actual real pipers (and pipe-makers ! !) think of all this. ( I think I have heard some people say NO, but am not sure. Hence why I am asking)
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
Brazenkane
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Uilleann piper bloodline and isolated pipers.

Post by Brazenkane »

Well, I for one want some of what you're smoking!

:shock:

Continue listening to the classic recordings, find a reputable teacher, travel to tionols, and spend about 10,000 hours honing your skills. Forget about all that bloodline stuff, put some blood and guts into learning how to play, and you'll be grand.
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

Brazenkane wrote:Well, I for one want some of what you're smoking!

Toilet cleaner? :lol: JK

:shock:

Continue listening to the classic recordings, find a reputable teacher, travel to tionols, and spend about 10,000 hours honing your skills. Forget about all that bloodline stuff, put some blood and guts into learning how to play, and you'll be grand.

I tried my best to make as much sense as possible! :oops: but the bloodline thing was just out of curiosity, a trivial like thingy.

Where can I find a good piping instructor, at a Tionol or piping workshop? I practice for quite a bit, and listen lots and lots.

Just need to meet real pipers...
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

[rant] I am much more concerned by the piper bloodline topic in a different way: are you Irish and did any of your ancestors play Irish music? I get this question all the time. People see my non-Irish surname and wonder how I can possibly play Irish music :( . It seems to be an American thing: people want to point to the one, real, authentic thing that fits neatly into some nice stereotype. People also lap up the narrative of someone who, basically, went right from the teat to the tune. Come on: growing up in America in the '60s and '70s the most common influence in your early musical background was probably "classic rock". People need to own that. But it doesn't fit the charming 5th-generation piper thing.
[/rant]
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
learnthegrip

Post by learnthegrip »

Regarding "bloodline," I think the word you want is something like lineage, of line of transmission.

You might want to contact Joey Abarta http://joeyabarta.com/. He's known to have a particular affinity for the piping of the older generations and I believe gives Skype lessons.
Was that a groan or did I hear the Dingle bagpipes Wasting war and?
Finnegans Wake
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

learnthegrip wrote:Regarding "bloodline," I think the word you want is something like lineage, of line of transmission.
yah, 'chain of descent' being my current favorite...& even then it still kinda implies elitism.

the music itself will find the vessel it needs to be in, wether it's been helped into that vessel or not :)
ennischanter

Post by ennischanter »

learnthegrip wrote:Regarding "bloodline," I think the word you want is something like lineage, of line of transmission.

You might want to contact Joey Abarta http://joeyabarta.com/. He's known to have a particular affinity for the piping of the older generations and I believe gives Skype lessons.

Yes, line of transmission is what I probably meant. :)

Thanks for that link, love Joey Abarta's playing. Pat D'arcy does skype lessons, too, and also has a C# chanter by the same maker. Just need a webcam though.

john

Post by john »

some words that comes to mind are authenticity and faithfulness to the tradition - being open to something that's new so long as it does not constitute a travesty - these are qualities that those brought up in the midst of music have bred into them, but the rest of us have to try to adopt a style as best we can from a distance and try to be faithful bearers of tradition
TheSilverSpear

Post by TheSilverSpear »

I don't think you can claim "bloodline" or musical ancestry or whatever unless you are one of those people who learned direct from someone and have it in your community, your family, etc. Those of us who come into it from the outside, we have to own our own background and that's fine. You can listen to recordings of whoever you like, but the most you can say is that your playing is influenced by the playing whoever you like listening to and maybe try to consciously imitate. But when people talk about lines, like Seamus Ennis to Liam O'Flynn, it implies more of a direct transmission thing, which listening to "40 Years of Irish Piping" ain't.

It's not just Yanks who ask me if I am Irish because I play the pipes. Irish, English, Scots ask me the same. Having an Irish-sounding surname doesn't help. But I'm a nice Jewish girl from Colorado and I just like the music and I like playing the pipes. That's it.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Sweet, I can claim bloodline to Leo Rowsome!
ennischanter

Post by ennischanter »

TheSilverSpear wrote: You can listen to recordings of whoever you like, but the most you can say is that your playing is influenced by the playing whoever you like listening to and maybe try to consciously imitate.

Good enough...... : I

highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

Yeah -- if you want to claim you learned from someone you need to, you know, learn from them... ;-)

Is that something that is important to Uilleann pipers? In Highland piping it is somewhat important. I know who my teacher is (obviously) and her teacher, and his teacher, and that fellow's teacher (John MacDonald of Inverness).

It's kind of neat to know.

No matter how much I listened to recordings of someone I would never claim to have learned anything from them, but rather that I learned it from the recordings. Both because it's true, but also because I might not really be playing it the way that other fellow would want it to go, if he heard it.
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

When I learnt to make the Pipes (well I am still Learning of course) I did not learn from a master but by studying an old instrument that was made by a master. It was as much about trying to understand the instrument, what it was all about, asking myself the questions because there was nobody else to ask. I think it was better that there was nobody to ask , no Master to give direction, his/her direction. My direction came from the source, through my head and back out again untill I understood.. or leastways think I do.
I think it is the same as learning the music.... you have to come to understand the music , understand what is happening... and you can do this by listening, by trying to understand what you are listening to. You don't need a direct bloodline as such.

That old instrument also taught me to play as part of the learning curve, combined with an inordinate amount of listening to the right stuff.

I have a motto which goes something like this : " People can learn, but can they be taught ?"
Last edited by geoff wooff on Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

geoff wooff wrote: I think it is the same as learning the music.... you have to come to understand the music , understand what is happening... and you can do this by listening, by trying to understand what you are listening to. You don't need a direct bloodline as such.
A difference though, is that making a musical instrument is not a performance art.

Here is an interesting experience I have had more than once. My instructor will give me a tune. I make a recording of it. I have my instructor's advice for what I'm aiming for. I go home and work on it. I know for certain that I'm emphasizing it just the way my instructor said, and I have the recording to work from. Then I go to my next lesson and my instructor says, "You're not emphasizing these notes at all." :-? My instructor will then play exactly what I /thought/ I was playing. So then I put so much emphasis on it that to me it sounds crazy exaggerated, and my instructor says, "now you're getting there, but emphasize it even more"

The point of that is that it's good to listen to everything you can listen to, but, at least for me, it can be really hard to translate that into a stylistically correct performance without my instructor's help.
ennischanter

Post by ennischanter »

I sometimes need help, so I sometimes slow some stuff down to help me listen.

It seems it all boils down to: Shut up and listen to the ITM! :thumbsup: :tomato:

Which I am more than okay with, I love observing and listening! :D One of the many reasons I love listening to ITM over and over is picking up things you haven't heard before, or hearing a piper playing the same tune but slightly different.

Beats trying to read all that scribbling and bibbling IMHO..

Can never read that stuff anyways.......

I think I should also mention here, that the Uilleann pipes are pretty much the only instrument I play now. I don't even have a whistle! (Though I should probably get one..) and I haven't played the highland pipes in a very long time. So I have lots and lots of time to practice! :)

@Tommykleen & TheSilverSpear: I know what you mean, I'm part Irish though, but my surname used to be O'Malles, but the French Canadians (I believe) changed it to Mallais. Which I hate hearing. Now everyone thinks I'm French! (I am a tiny bit though)

That reminds me whenever I took out the pipes to play, some people would talk to me , usually asking if I was Scottish, which I was. But one thing that really irritated me is that they all asked me if I was in a Band. To which I always replied " No".

But to be fair ya can't REALLY blame them! :poke: :tomato: