Tony Dixon polymer flute, conical bore

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
accordionstu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Tony Dixon polymer flute, conical bore

Post by accordionstu »

I appreciate this isn't tunable , does anyone know if they make a tunable version, does anyone have any experience with the Dixon Co
conical bore flutes? I bought a delrin dixon a few years ago and wasn't impressed. I want a second flute that I can take with me in my work bag without any worries about it getting the odd knock.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tony-Dixon-Po ... 5aec20918b
Boyd Flutes - For Soprano D Flutes, Fifes and Piccolos. Made in the UK
megapop

Re: Tony Dixon polymer flute, conical bore

Post by megapop »

accordionstu wrote:does anyone know if they make a tunable version
accordionstu wrote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tony-Dixon-Po ... b]Tuneable[/b]-DX030D-/390508614027?pt=UK_Woodwind_Instruments&hash=item5aec20918b
:poke: :-?

Now which exactly was the flute you tried and were not impressed with? AFAIK Dixon makes at least three designs, the one you've linked above, a two piece cylindrical and a one piece tapered bore one... none of which is made of Delrin.
Your post is a bit confusing...
return null;
accordionstu

Post by accordionstu »

Sorry to have confused you megapop, I re read the post and its very clear to me. The flute I bought resembled a single piece of plastic water pipe with 7 holes, gold plastic tape , a cork and a black stopper, it looked like delrin, smelt like delrin but it could have been another polymer who knows, who cares ? it played like a piece of black plastic water pipe.

My question relates to the three piece polymer flute I posted the link to. Does anyone have any experience in playing this model of flute?
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

megapop wrote:none of which is made of Delrin.
The description lists that flute as being made of Acetal. Acetal polymer is as close to Delrin(tm) as you could be without being the DuPont product. Same properties all the way round. The description also says that it is molded but I'd wonder about that.

And the flute is tunable, to a degree, having a long enough tenon at the head joint.

I have owned three of the Dixon 3pc flutes. I still have two here. One has an actual brass tuning slide made by Jon Cornia. I once wished I could have gotten hold of one of the Dixons made with the long foot to complete the "rare bird"package.

I carried a Dixon 3pc flute (and several Dixon polymer whistles) to work in my laptop bag for many years. It was a good flute to have a few tunes on at lunchtime. The flute held up beautifully. It continued to get work even after I retired.

These are fairly quiet flutes, small bore, smallish embouchure, small finger holes. I've been asked more than once to play louder in sessions when I have used one. While some of the volume limit is me, I do not get that reaction when I am playing my other flutes. I have used the Dixon to start young people out on the flute - very suitable for smaller hands. The embouchure is not the easiest, requires good focus, but once you get it down it is an enjoyable enough flute. If you play those little high pitched flutes you won't have any trouble with the Dixon. It makes a decent travel flute since it is light and compact and reasonably indestructible. My Dixon flutes were very obviously turned and bored from rod stock but that may have changed recently.

There are better delrin/acetal flutes for not a lot more money (particularly if you can find a deal on one). I really like the Copley 3pc delrin flute - great bang for the buck. I am also impressed with Garry Somers 3pc Pratten - good power, very lightweight, very attractive price. Again, these do not have a proper tuning slide but that is no problem really. Somers also supplies an insert to fill the bore gap if you pull out the tenon. The flutes are tuned well to start with and the head tenon is long enough for some adjustment. These are both very good flutes - full stop.

http://www.copleyflutes.com
http://www.somers-flutes.com

And there are other good inexpensive flutes out there as well.

I do not recommend the cheaper Dixon flutes - one or two piece. I have also come into possession of quite a few of those in my wheelings and dealings.

And black plastic water pipe can be made into a decent sounding and playing flute - just saying. It depends on who is making the flute and how good they are at crafting such things. Plastic pipe shouldn't be the issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFRNhE4g94Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvAPt6V3GDY OK. That's not exactly black, but it is water pipe

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
accordionstu

Post by accordionstu »

Thanks for the info Feadoggie, I think I will steer clear of the Dixon and will enquire about a Somers Flute. I also like the sound and look of the M&E flutes.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

accordionstu wrote:I also like the sound and look of the M&E flutes.
The M&E flutes are probably suitable for your purposes. I like them well enough. I have three M&E flutes. (I know, too many flutes. Need to sell some off soon.) I have two of the "original" models, one keyless, the other keyed. Those are rather workman-like flutes. I bought one of the Rudall models when they became available as well. The Rudall model is the better design (doh!) than the original. Mine are all polymer, not the ebonite.

The M&E flutes tend to be less well finished than some of the other flutes in the inexpensive price category. But they play well enough and the polymer ones are certainly durable and rugged. Rugged is actually an understatement. I don't think there is a hardier flute out there.

The Somers is still a better flute than the M&E in my opinion. YMMV.

If you'd prefer a Pratten style flute versus a Rudall style then don't overlook the Desi Seery delrin flute either, especially if you can get a deal on a used one.

Feadoggie
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I really like my ebonite M&E. I've owned most of the delrin flutes listed above (only played a Copley and have yet to meet a Somers), and the M&E is the only one I've kept...I think I have been playing an M&E (originally a 6 key pvc and now the delrin 8 key) for 10 years. Although aesthetics are not the best, they play darn well and I get a ton of compliments on it's tone. FWIW, I prefer the ebonite's sound over his usual turned rod PVC, but who knows if the difference is really material or just variance between flutes.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Jayhawk wrote:(originally a 6 key pvc and now the delrin 8 key)
Jayhawk, when did Michael start using delrin?

Feadoggie
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Feadogie...um, well...never? :oops: Sorry...I was typing on my phone while out in Manitou Springs, Colorado, on vacation, rushed, and inserted delrin for ebonite!

Probably the only disadvantage of ebonite over the rod stock PVC Michael uses, is that ebonite will break if dropped. I'm not sure the PVC, or delrin, could break if dropped. I dropped my delrin Seery and it hit the edge of the concrete step into our library...four-five feet drop, and it hit directly in the middle of the long tone hole section. The Seery, like an M&E PVC, was unharmed...I'm fairly certain my ebonite flute may have snapped if it went through the same fall (and blackwood would crack from a drop like that). However, ebonite is still easy to care for like PVC (I just run water through the bore in the sink periodically to clean it).

Besides, Rockstro loved ebonite, and who can argue with Rockstro (unless you break out a Ouija board). :D

Eric
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Jayhawk wrote:Feadogie...um, well...never? Sorry...I was typing on my phone while out in Manitou Springs, Colorado, on vacation, rushed, and inserted delrin for ebonite!
:) Thought that might be the case. I was yanking the chain a bit. :P Enjoy the vacation!

Yes, the M&E polymer flutes are darned near indestructible. The plain black "original" flute I have has the heft and feel of a billy club. It would make a decent weapon in a pinch. I have dropped it (no keys to stop it from rolling off the table) and it is still solid as a rock. I just polish it up every few years with the buffing wheel and it looks good as new.

Having buffed these M&E polymer flutes, as well as a few delrin flutes, I can say that the M&E polymer flutes are more sensitive to heat than delrin. But they are no less tolerant as any ABS or PVC flute. Still very durable stuff. I do have to back off on the RPMs when I buff out my M&E flutes compared to delrin flutes and whistles. Delrin/Acetal is more shock resistant then ABS or hard PVC as well. In fact it is more hardy all the way round including chemical resistance. Perfect material for a durable flute IMO. And I like working with it on the lathe, very predictable.
Jayhawk wrote:Rockstro loved ebonite, and who can argue with Rockstro (unless you break out a Ouija board).
Yes, and I suspect if Rockstro had a delrin flute available to compare it to he might have liked delrin. Shall we get out the Ouija board? :o

Ebonite was a high-tech miracle material in its day. I had a couple vintage ebonite flutes when I was younger. The old flutes smelled. I never got over that. I suppose a new flute would not be as much of a problem but I've not gotten over the memory of that smell. That's probably a personal problem. Maybe if I had grown up next to a caldera. :)

Ebonite can make for a very good flute. So I am sure Michael Cronnolly does a great job with it. Yes it can crack. But it is durable when given the same care you would afford to a timber flute. Right? And I suspect that the M&E ebonite flute is a bit less heavy than those made from the solid rod stock. That'd be a plus for ebonite in the eyes of many players.

Feadoggie
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Feadoggie wrote:Ebonite was a high-tech miracle material in its day. I had a couple vintage ebonite flutes when I was younger. The old flutes smelled. I never got over that. I suppose a new flute would not be as much of a problem but I've not gotten over the memory of that smell. That's probably a personal problem. Maybe if I had grown up next to a caldera. :)
Or a bowling alley...

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Steve Bliven wrote:Or a bowling alley...
Ok, Steve, that's too funny! :lol:

That is more likely the reason I don't like the smell. I did sell bowling balls for a time in my youth. And I drilled way too many holes in the stuff. Thankfully, polyester balls became popular around the same time, yet another nasty smell. That did precede the ebonite flute experience.

Feadoggie
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

The ebonite Michael uses doesn't smell like old fashioned ebonite, because that would annoy me as well. However, I don't think it's really any lighter than Michael's PVC. The care, though, is much easier than blackwood...it can sit in a hot car, it can be washed, no worries if you don't dry it out.

Just returned from a truly memorable horseback riding tour of Garden of the Gods...in a downpour, with lightening strikes all around us. I am wet beyond wet and glad to be back in the hotel. I love horse, have owned and am currently looking for a new one, but I've never been riding in weather like that for an hour straight. Plus, the rain made it nearly impossible to see the scenery. Thank goodness we went hiking there yesterday.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

I'll throw in my vote for a Somers or Copley. I have at time owned or played the old M&E acetal, M&E Rudall acetal, multiple Delrin Seerys, and am set right now with a Somers Delrin & Jon Cornia Cochran Delrin, both Rudall-style w/traditional metal slides.