Harmony for Raglan Road

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
joeryan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Harmony for Raglan Road

Post by joeryan »

All,

A friend who sings at my local pub occasionally asks me to play the whistle as she sings Raglan Road. I'm fairly new to the whistle (and new to playing music period) but I can play the melody alright. Or at least no has thrown tomatoes at me.

Nonetheless, instead simply playing the melody as she sings, I'd like to work up a harmony. But instead of fumbling in the dark, I'd figure I check here to see if someone can point me to a harmony already written.

Thanks and best,

Joe
DickB

Re: Harmony for Raglan Road

Post by DickB »

Joe,
The easiest way to play harmony is to play chord tones; that is, play another note in the same chord that the melody is in at the time. You will also need to have a sense of what the melody note is, either by reading sheet music/tab or by ear. Usually the harmony for a duet is pitched below the melody, but it's also nice to play above it sometimes for variety. This is also necessary when the melody is in the lowest notes of the whistle, which looks to be the case at a lot of points in Raglan Road (assuming you are playing it in D on a D whistle).

Of course this method will be easier initially if you read music, and then you can write out the harmony part. After some practice you should be able to improvise the harmony by ear.

Dick
joeryan

Post by joeryan »

Dick,

Thanks for the response. The music is below. The chord for the first phrase is D, and notes for D chord are D,F and A.

So I might start in F, for "On" and then move up to A and hold the note for "Raglan Road, on an autumn." As the chord changes to G, I'd play a high D, staying above the melody.

Or something like that?

Best,

Joe

pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Yes you're exactly right.

I've got fairly good at following "lead sheets" as they're often called, what you have there, the melody line and the chords.

The chord name tells you the three notes you have to select from; the note of the melody tells you which note you should avoid. (Especially with the uilleann pipes you don't want to "step on" the vocal line.)

So you're only choosing between two notes, not Rocket Science as they say.

It's quite easy to choose the notes and fill in here and there and make up a part that does the job.

The simplest thing is what's called "parallel motion" in music theory, that is, just shadowing the melody a 3rd above and/or a 3rd below, or a 6th above or below (a 3rd and a 6th are inversions).

The next level, it seems to me, is to create a harmony line that has melodic interest of its own, one that if played alone is an attractive tune.

It's an old arranging trick to start a song with a whistle (or what have you) playing just such a line as the intro, then the song starts and the whistle drops out, the whistle coming back in for the instrumental break playing that same line which served as the intro, and then after the instrumental break and the vocals come back in the whistle continuing to play that line, which now functions as a harmony part. It's very effective because the listener then realizes "hey, that's the same tune, but now it's working with the song!"

BTW our pipe band plays that very tune, The Dawning Of The Day, with a harmony part I wrote. With pipe bands the harmony part is simply that, filling in the chords (the drone note being the 3rd note of the chord in many cases) and usually doesn't have much melodic interest of its own.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
DickB

Post by DickB »

Joe,
You're welcome, and Richard Cook's additions are very interesting; there's no end to the fun you can have!
Good luck,
Dick
joeryan

Post by joeryan »

Wonderful. Thanks to both of you. Best, Joe
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

As I was saying a common straightforward approach is "parallel motion" where the harmony line is shadowing the melody line a 3rd (or 6th) above or below.

In parallel motion if the melody goes D E F# the harmony part might be F# G A.

Something to think about is what's called "contrary motion" where if the melody is going up the harmony line goes down and visa versa.

So our little melody above D E F# might have a contrary harmony part that goes d c# A (or filled in a bit with d c# B A). Both parts end up on the same F#/A chord but get there from opposite directions.

Here's a little page on contrary motion I did a while back for a Highland pipes forum; it starts with a couple familiar melodies in which the contrary motion stands out to the listener, being a highlighted point, a bit, in the arrangement. Then there's a few harmony lines I wrote for Pipe Band use that feature contrary motion. (Pipe Band harmonies are limited due to the pipes only having one octave.)

Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
joeryan

Post by joeryan »

Thanks, Richard. I will work on that. Best, Joe
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

BTW for Raglan Road there in D, I might choose to play it on an A whistle, fingering the tune as if it was in G, so that it comes out in D. This allows me to go below the lowest melody note, in my harmony part.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
DickB

Post by DickB »

pancelticpiper wrote:BTW for Raglan Road there in D, I might choose to play it on an A whistle, fingering the tune as if it was in G, so that it comes out in D.
Who says playing whistle is simple? :D