Learning Boehm Flute AFTER Having Played Irish Flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
scattering_mud
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Learning Boehm Flute AFTER Having Played Irish Flute?

Post by scattering_mud »

I've played Irish flute (Glenn Watson & Terry McGee flutes) for 15 years, and love it. However, I have a hankering to try my hand at playing a metal Boehm flute, just for fun, playing some baroque and japenese pieces that I like just for diversion. There's a Yamaha Yamaha 225S flute for sale in my town for $175, so I'm thinking of buying it and messing around.

Anyone have experience learing a Boehm flute after years of Irish flute (the opposite pattern I think is not uncommon). I'll still be playing Irish flute every day, but sometimes trying out the metal flute. Obviously, the embouchere will be a big change, am wondering its effect in switching back and forth. I used to play Telemann, Bach, Handel, etc. on alto recorder back in the day, but want to play some of this stuff on a FLUTE, not a recorder. And also some other, less challenging material.

Any thoughts?
keithsandra
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Learning Boehm Flute AFTER Having Played Irish Flute?

Post by keithsandra »

You might try renting a Boehm flute. I did that very cheaply for a month years ago and tried another one just yesterday. For me the Boehm is a travesty of the poetic lyricism of a good old fashioned simple flute. The Boehm has a robotic tone and playability by comparison. I doubt if Pan or Krishna would ever be heard playing one except perhaps in an experimental physics lab working on mechanical reproduction of sound for whatever reason. Just my thoughts.

Best wishes, K.
LewisC
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: It is a beautiful day in the piedmont for playing a favorite boxwood simple-system flute. Is that enough typing to get to 100 characters?? Maybe not, just to make sure here is a bit more stuff from the keyboard ...

Post by LewisC »

Go for it. I find the two complement each other and I look for ways one can strengthen the other. I play in an occasional chamber group and it is very different from session playing. In the chamber group I have to listen closely and be very musical, in a session I tend to just blast and often forget about musicality. (More focus on musicality in session is a current goal.)

Optimum embouchure is all important on each type of flute. Finger movements and placement are very different for silver flute but similar in lightness of touch and need for speed and coordination. If you can, get a flute with open holes just because it sounds better. I find playing in tune easy on the metal flute. If you can make cuts and taps work on a flute with keys, your fingers are working very well indeed.
Just my 2 cents.
L
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

This is what I did! I started on Irish flute about 9 years ago and picked up the silver flute about 5 - 6 years ago (I currently play a Yamaha 684 and my Irish flute is a John Gallagher Pratten). I like the sound and the feel of the Irish flute better, but being able to hit Bb and F-nat easily on the silver flute is REALLY nice! I pretty much divide my time on each based on what the venue is - I use the silver flute at church (I'm in a Catholic choir group where I also sing and play trumpet) and use the wood flute for anything Irish. The embouchures are a little different, but not enough to throw you off and they do seem to complement each other. I do find the silver flute easier to play, however (maybe because it is a REAL nice flute). The Gallagher is more of a challenge, but the rewards are greater, imho. My only advice when buying used is to check for leaks - a re-pad will cost you as much as your purchase price, depending where you take it!

Good luck!

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
gariwerd

Post by gariwerd »

I did it about 18 months ago. It's not hard. I've now got an alto flute which I like even better than the standard tenor.
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Go for it. You don't have to change much in terms of embouchure, depending on what you are trying to accomplish. I use an old German-style wooden flute circa 1920 that plays great and has a more woody, mellow tone I can push to sound quite Irish.

Just make sure all the pads are sealing and well-adjusted. Any leaks, particularly at the top of the scale, will result in poor playing/performance/tone. That's the toughest part about Boehm flutes: they are expensive to maintain (e.g. $900 overhauls).
chas

Post by chas »

scattering_mud wrote:. . . I used to play Telemann, Bach, Handel, etc. on alto recorder back in the day, but want to play some of this stuff on a FLUTE, not a recorder. And also some other, less challenging material.

Any thoughts?
Bach, Telemann, etc., really ought to be played on traverso.

Of course, once you get into much later stuff, it a lot better on Boehm.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Well, I feel Bach et al really ought to be played on anything that can play them beautifully.
scattering_mud

Post by scattering_mud »

Chas, I get your point. But I don't have much interest in the traverso, with all its fingerings to get the accidentals. I want more volume, and I want the SOUND of the metal flute, which I love almost as much as the Irish wood sound. And I don't want to get too heavy into the Baroque (though I did mention those composers), I just want to mess around and play some diverse stuff.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Of course Chas has a good point, but, you know...

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Bra ... 53DAC20D95
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

jim stone wrote:Of course Chas has a good point, but, you know...

To me that illustrates Chas' point.
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

chas wrote:
scattering_mud wrote:. . . I used to play Telemann, Bach, Handel, etc. on alto recorder back in the day, but want to play some of this stuff on a FLUTE, not a recorder. And also some other, less challenging material.
Any thoughts?
Bach, Telemann, etc., really ought to be played on traverso.
Not in every case.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UEgx8La8BNY.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qP9SlQjWtTE
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Lucas
Location: where the beer is good and plenty (that be Belgium)

Post by Lucas »

OK, convincing and not even historically incorrect.
Sorry, it's never a good idea to play percussion and flute on the same instrument at the same time. It's not because a flute is made out of wood that it sounds like a wooden flute.
Digiti animaque non satis
http://users.skynet.be/fluiten
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

jim stone wrote:Of course Chas has a good point, but, you know...

I like it, Jim. I think it's badass. I like the recorder as well, and the traverso: each has its charms, its strengths, its shortcomings.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Of course, I doubt that a traverso would have been heard in that huge ensemble.
Perhaps why they went for a modern flute.