just heard tin whistles by Paddy Molloney and Sean Potts

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
mike.r
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mike.r »

This must be the ultimate tin whistle recording and its hard to beleive its from 1973.Any newcommers to whistling would be well advised to get a hold of this...from start to finish its an absolute joy and the simple bare bones production,with little or no reverb is refreshing.It would be good to hear from anyone familiar with this recording and the impact it has had on there own playing.Peace, Mike:)
kardshark87

Post by kardshark87 »

Great CD...I don't know that I have a favorite though...If I did it would probably be #9 (Julia Delaney). Mmmm, its almost dessert time! Pecan pie! Or maybe I should have apple....too many decisions!
garycrosby

Post by garycrosby »

Thanks mike.r (from Austria where I've always wanted visit). I've been trying to put together a list of recorded whistle music to buy that is mostly whistle and mostly recorded without the use of a lot of electronics. Is that the exact title "Tin Whistles"?
jackorion

Post by jackorion »

I picked this album up when I first started playing whistle, about a year ago. Way over my head at the time, and still is.
It's amazing, on some tracks they get going so fast and furious, it almost becomes a sound wash. It's a relentless hypnotic record that brings to mind the tireless grooves of James Brown. At times your riding on a never ending carousel, which makes sence. The origins of "carousel" comes from an Arabian hourseman game, in which the players threw fragile clay balls filled with scented water from one to another. As do Potts and Maloney.
There are beautiful aires here that just can't be touched, as far as I've heard so far. Track 4 the Fairy tune is a favorite.
Be carefull with this one, you might just send a nonwhistle playing listener into a frenzy.
Jack "Merry-Go-Round" Orion
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Thanks for reminding me that I have this fine cassette. By the way, doesn't one of them on the cassette cover look like Elliot Gould? Phil O.
mike.r

Post by mike.r »

On 2001-11-22 16:37, garycrosby wrote:
Thanks mike.r (from Austria where I've always wanted visit). I've been trying to put together a list of recorded whistle music to buy that is mostly whistle and mostly recorded without the use of a lot of electronics. Is that the exact title "Tin Whistles"?

Yes Gary,tin whistles is the title and its on the Claddagh records(CD) label.There is occasional bodhran accompaniment from Peader Mercier but apart from that its just Generations played together or alone with no overdubs or anything...the tone is to die for. Mike
garycrosby

Post by garycrosby »

Thank-you mike.r. I managed to find it :smile: