Humphrey Whistle Questions

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Matthewlawson3
antispam: No

Humphrey Whistle Questions

Post by Matthewlawson3 »

Hey, everyone, not that I need to, but I'm considering purchasing a Gary Humphrey whistle. I emailed him the following questions to his email address from his website, raindog1970@hotmail.com, but haven't heard back yet. I'm sure he'll get back to me and is just busy. I thought I might post my questions to him here as well for those with experience with the Humphrey whistles to answer. Thank you for your help!

1. Is the difference between the Stealth and Journeyman whistles simply the material used for the tube? Brass, Aluminum, or Silver?

2. Are all Humphrey whistles tuneable by moving the mouthpiece on the tube?

3. Does the mouthpiece come loosened already to allow it to be moved to tune the whistle or would I need to loosen the mouthpiece myself by placing it in some warm water?

4. Is there a discount for ordering two whistles or more of different material?

5. What is the difference in tone between the silver and aluminum tubes?
Sedi
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Re: Humphrey Whistle Questions

Post by Sedi »

A few of those questions are answered on his page. The difference is not only the material but also the wall size which leads to different fingerings for C natural. And I'm certain the head can be moved for tuning without any trickery you need for a Generation or something like that.
Matthewlawson3

Post by Matthewlawson3 »

Sedi wrote:A few of those questions are answered on his page. The difference is not only the material but also the wall size which leads to different fingerings for C natural. And I'm certain the head can be moved for tuning without any trickery you need for a Generation or something like that.
Thank you! I just now saw that. It appears as far as the easier OXXOOO is more in tune on the aluminum whistle.
stiofan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

Hopefully Gary Humphrey will get back to you before long. I've never played a Humphrey whistle myself, but FWIW, Sean Cunningham aka @whistletutor on YouTube seems to pretty much play Humphreys exclusively.
Matthewlawson3

Post by Matthewlawson3 »

stiofan wrote:Hopefully Gary Humphrey will get back to you before long. I've never played a Humphrey whistle myself, but FWIW, Sean Cunningham aka @whistletutor on YouTube seems to pretty much play Humphreys exclusively.
Yes, Gary got back to me and I've seen Sean Cunningham playing a Humphrey. I've sent in an order yesterday afternoon via Gary's email for a traditional brass narrow bore in D and an aluminum narrow bore tube in D. I'll switch the mouthpiece between the two whistle tubes.

I haven't heard back from Gary yet to confirm he got my email with my order. Hopefully, he will get back to me soon.
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

Just in case anyone is wondering about me, I'm still here and still making whistles. I gained a reputation for being quick to reply to emails and having short wait times while I was making whistles full time, but I'm a bit slower nowadays. After completing my BSN degree back in December, I've been working full time as a nurse and only part time as a whistle maker. Working 12-hour shifts for two or three nights in a row is kinda rough on an old guy who just turned 50, so I've been coming home and going straight to bed in the morning after a quick shower and some breakfast. Then get up, take another quick shower, grab a bite of dinner and head back to work. So I tend to neglect emails during those stretches... and I also tend to neglect pretty much everything else in order to get enough sleep. I still drop in and browse the whistle forum occasionally, I just don't post very often anymore. My shop time has been cut in half, but I've been part time much longer than I've been full time during my almost 18 years in business. So that's the story with me, and Humphrey Whistles will carry on for the foreseeable future. :thumbsup:
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
Matthewlawson3

Post by Matthewlawson3 »

raindog1970 wrote:Just in case anyone is wondering about me, I'm still here and still making whistles. I gained a reputation for being quick to reply to emails and having short wait times while I was making whistles full time, but I'm a bit slower nowadays. After completing my BSN degree back in December, I've been working full time as a nurse and only part time as a whistle maker. Working 12-hour shifts for two or three nights in a row is kinda rough on an old guy who just turned 50, so I've been coming home and going straight to bed in the morning after a quick shower and some breakfast. Then get up, take another quick shower, grab a bite of dinner and head back to work. So I tend to neglect emails during those stretches... and I also tend to neglect pretty much everything else in order to get enough sleep. I still drop in and browse the whistle forum occasionally, I just don't post very often anymore. My shop time has been cut in half, but I've been part time much longer than I've been full time during my almost 18 years in business. So that's the story with me, and Humphrey Whistles will carry on for the foreseeable future. :thumbsup:
Gary, thank you for your service. My girlfriend is a nurse so I understand what you're saying as I see it with my girlfriend. I look forward to receiving your whistles! It will be the only whistles I have from Tennessee.