Michael L. Hubbert, pipemaker

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
elbogo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Michael L. Hubbert, pipemaker

Post by elbogo »

Check out these pictures of Michael's pipes. More will be added later. Just something I decided to do for him, until he gets his website up and running.

As Michael states: "At this time I make a concert pitch D set modeled after a Taig Crowley set made around 1930, in Co. Cork. I have played the
original set for 20 odd years and like it very much. The chanter has
much smaller toneholes that are seen on Rowesome chanters though the
bore is similar."

http://my.execpc.com/~bogartte/hubbert.html
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Hey Bogues...

Thanks for posting those pics. I like the shape of these Hubbert keys. Note how level they are across. When I was inspecting Keenan's pipes last winter, I noticed that he elevates the D lever on the baritone reg so he can press it down seperately. I also remember the bass reg being mounted lower on the mainstock slightly so the keys are not level across with the others. This apparently gives him the ability to press on the ten. and bar. keys together without touching the bass keys, and then the bass and bar. keys level off at a different angle. When I got my Roberts, I noticed the bass reg was mounted slightly off level from the other two also. Interesting.

Michael is another one of those pipers you seldom hear about. If I remember right, Michael makes other instruments too. I'm glad to see him making pipes. They look good. And with a recommendation from Ted Anderson, they must sound good too.

You know, I was thinking...I attended a K.Burke workshop with Michael, at Folkslife, back a way when, and I kind of lost track of him. And I didn't remember him being a piper. I've got to get down to the Bay area sometime.

Any pictures of his chanters?

Paul

Post by Paul »

Elbogo, Those look nice! What kind of wood is that, plum? BTW, How are ya doin?

-Paul
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Fumed boxwood.

Whatcha think...?
elbogo

Post by elbogo »

I will be putting up some chanter photos shortly, lorenzo, which should be interesting to see, since Michael uses much smaller tone holes.

He says: "At this time I make a concert pitch D set modeled after a Taig
Crowley set made around 1930, in Co. Cork. I have played the
original set for 20 odd years and like it very much." He is also making B and C sets as well.

According to Ted Anderson, David Quinn and Koehler are very impressed with his work.

Those are boxwood, Paul... and I am doing really well. I guess I do owe you an email. It's on the way...
DMQuinn

Post by DMQuinn »

Absolutely first class execution. Given Mr Hubbert's background, it should not be a surprise.