OH NO!!! I've become a cross-fippler!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Henke
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

Thats a lovely story Paul!
I understand what you mean with the magic of classical music. I got exactly the same feeling when I started to play Medieval music in school. I mean, we usualy have like two or three different lines for the violins, one or two for the recorders, depending on if it is one or two recorders there. I've played Trad flute there up until now, wich works just fine and the leader usualy gives me an own line, and so on.
It was a totally new experience, it is truly magical.
Zubivka
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Zubivka »

What I don't understand is why one would really need a recorder for medieval music, rather than a whistle in C...

For Renaissance, and baroque I can understand, but there :-?
Henke

Post by Henke »

Simply because I think it fitts in better. The recorder has such a different tone than most whistles and secondly I've come accross some accidentals in medieval music as well that I have a hard time getting on a whistle. And then offcourse I want to be able to play Baroque and Rennaissance music as well. It's not just medieval music.
skh

Post by skh »

Because of that lovely "we-think-this-is-medieval" recorder sound? ;-)

Sonja
Shut up and play.
Rod Sprague

Post by Rod Sprague »

skh wrote:
Rod Sprague wrote:. One of the secrets to placing the finger holes was to add the extra finger hole at the top, keeping the spacing of the lower holes the same as the spacing of the holes on a C pennywhistle. I demonstrate this to recorder players by taping the top finger hole and thumbhole and playing the six remaining finger positions as if the recorder was a C pennywhistle! I bet this would infuriate extreme purists of both camps!
Was the recorder you did this with in German or English/Baroque fingering (i.e. did it need

x xxx xoo o

or

x xxx xox x

for F natural (assuming it's a soprano in C))?
It and I use the English/Baroque fingering, but through breath control,
x xxx xoo o
can be brought into tune when I do the "recorder as whistle" demonstration much like the
oxx ooo
fingering for C on a D whistle can be made to be on pitch through breath control.
Rod
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Zubivka wrote:What I don't understand is why one would really need a recorder for medieval music, rather than a whistle in C...

For Renaissance, and baroque I can understand, but there :-?
Medieval music is still too chromatic for a whistle for the most part. Too many half holings required. Some pieces do work pretty well though. Even some Baroque-- The opening Air of the Goldberg Variations makes a smashing slow air if you toss in a few Celtic ornaments with only 2 or 3 half holes needed.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Henke wrote:Simply because I think it fitts in better. The recorder has
And
Henke wrote:such a different tone than most whistles and secondly I've come accross
there
Henke wrote:some accidentals in medieval music as well that I have a hard time
is this
Henke wrote:getting on a whistle. And then offcourse I want to be able to play Baroque

pretty
Henke wrote:and Rennaissance music as well. It's not just medieval music.
GIRL!

Oh, was I reading between the lines?
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
TXwhistle
Tell us something.: I moved, so I'm in a different city. Not in Texas anymore!!! Although if someone sees that I'm in NYC, maybe they'll know of local places that I can look for whistles.

Post by TXwhistle »

I'm a cross-fippler, too, but I've never used my recorder to play medieval music. I use it to play Jewish music. (I also sing in Hebrew.)