Whistle friendly worship songs

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
demomb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by demomb »

Good topic! I play flute/whistle with worship team too. I basically listen to what the song 'needs'. Some just sound better with one or the other. Some have key changes and rather than switch whistles in the middle, I just use flute. Some have accidental (out of normal key) notes, and rather than half-holing, I'd use flute.

In addition to all the suggestions previously listed, I'll also add that I've noticed that any Deliriou5 songs go well with whistle. Probably blends with the 'e-bow' sound more. :smile:

BTW, please contact Mac Hoover. He's been especially kind to those of us who play at church. I bought a high E from him for "Vineyard" songs. :wink:
'demomb of 3 teens'
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

According to the Episcopal 1982 Hymnal in the notes at the bottom on #482,"Lord of All Hopefulness"- words:Jan Struther
music: Slane, Irish ballad melody

One of my favorites is#585-" Morning glory, starlit sky" love the words, and the tune is great and very playable on whistle.

This post is great, I am going to work on several of these tomorrow. And it reminds me I've been wanting to try some plainsongs on whistle. Thanks
JMcCYoung

Post by JMcCYoung »

On 2002-03-02 19:09, WhistlerWannaBe wrote in part:

Can anyone give me the details (songwriter, CCLI#) to "I heard the voice of Jesus say" I don't think I know this one....
This is *old*! We're talking hymns, not songs! :wink:

See the Cyberhymnal page on the piece:

http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/i/h/iheardtv.htm

The tune I associate with it is Kingsfold, as I wrote earlier, but there are a couple of others listed there too.

John
thewesleyan

Post by thewesleyan »

This is *old*! We're talking hymns, not songs!
19th cent doesn't qualify as old! Over here we usually sing 'I heard the voice..' to the tune Vox Dilecti
One of my favourites is 'Tell out my soul', based on the Magnificat (Luke 1.46-55)
With Easter approaching, try using 'When I survey the wondrous cross' set to the folk tune 'Waly Waly' (sometimes 'O waile waile') A different tune often adds freshness I reckon.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I'm Jewish, but for some reason whenever I pick up a low D whistle, I start to play O Come, O Come Emmanuel (learned this in High School chorus). Must be the part about rescuing captive Is-ra-el...
On the Jewish side of the aisle, the tune Shalom Aleichem which is traditionally sung at the beggining of Sabbath is gorgeous, and works very will on a whistle, with some half holing. There are tons of Hassidic Niggunim which are good too-- little wordless tunes, chanted with la-la, da-da, etc syllablles to induce a spiritual state. Think of the song "If I Were a Rich Man" from Fiddler on the Roof-- the part that comes just after the words of the title.
thewesleyan

Post by thewesleyan »

Do you know of a web site where this music is available for download? I've been picking my way through 'Hava Nagila' and would like to try a few more. I'd particularly like to try some of the Hassidic Niggunim.
WhistlerWannaBe

Post by WhistlerWannaBe »

IMHO, O come o come Emmanuel is beautiful no matter what.....sigh
I'll become even more undignified than this!
(King David, II Samuel 6)
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

Twila Paris's "We Bow Down" and "Lamb of God" are both beautiful on whistle ("We Will Glorify" isn't bad either).

I played both "We Bow Down" and "I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say" this morning at church, they were great!

Also, someone mentioned "Lord of All Hopefulness" to the tune of "Slane" - "Slane" is also the tune for "Be Thou My Vision". There's a few other hymns set to "Slane" as well. My dad is fond of saying that the Irish were so poor that they even had to recycle their music! :smile: I prefer to think of it as "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

Beth
Jim W

Post by Jim W »

We offered a song today at worship that I'd never heard before - "All I Know"; whistle fit really well as an instrumental after the chorus, with the same chords as the chorus. Did a search and came up with http://www.waynedrain.com/allIknow.html This was followed by "What the Lord Has Done For Me" from Hillsongs. Worship ran over an hour, which is not typical; He was at work. Praise Him!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jim W on 2002-03-03 19:52 ]</font>
ScottStewart

Post by ScottStewart »

Beth, since you are into Twila Paris, I played "How Beautiful" for a sound demo on Mack Hoover's site. It works really well, and it can usually be found on sheet music in the key of D.
Image Scott

"Peace is not defined by the absence of war."
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

On 2002-03-03 12:11, thewesleyan wrote:
Do you know of a web site where this music is available for download? I've been picking my way through 'Hava Nagila' and would like to try a few more. I'd particularly like to try some of the Hassidic Niggunim.
Try this: http://pdacentral.planetmirror.com/palm ... ggunim.zip

I found it doing a google search on the term Hassidic Niggunim-- there were a LOT of other hits.
thewesleyan

Post by thewesleyan »

Thanks for that - I tried the link, but it unzipped to a format my mac wouldn't play with. But never mind - I found a few Yiddish tunes via the abc homepage, and they'll 'do me' for the time being.
LeeMarsh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

"Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silent" in E dorian plays beautifully on a Low-D.

Here's a <a href=http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l010.html>midi copy of the Hymn</a>. (It plays badly on my system but it may play better on others.)

I have alway loved "O Come, O Come, Emanuel", regardless of time of year, as a prayer for rescue.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LeeMarsh on 2002-03-05 12:14 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LeeMarsh on 2002-03-05 12:16 ]</font>
Blarney Pilgrim

Post by Blarney Pilgrim »

Many really good suggestions already, but here are some of my favorites that haven't been mentioned:<br>My Shepherd Shall Supply My Need<br>Let All Things Now Living<br>For the Beauty of the Earth<br>Come Thou Font of Every Blessing<br> Lord of the Dance<br>All Creatures of Our God and King<br><br> Steve
thewesleyan

Post by thewesleyan »

Come Thou Font of Every Blessing
Do you still "raise your Ebenezer" when you sing this? :smile:
(It's been changed in our hymn book)