Help- Low D Whistle Beginner

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Moyre357
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Moyre357 »

I just purchased a Tony Dixon Low D whistle, and could use some tips on posture, etc. This is monstrous compared to my wee little whistles. My fingers are starting to cramp and there doesn't seem to be much coming out. I know it will take lots of practice but I have small fingers so if anyone out there can relate, I can use some advice.

Thanks,
Moyre357
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

How long have you been playing your "small" whistle? (It's better to get a solid grounding there first.) How are you gripping the low D? (Does "piper's grip" sound familiar?) Have you tried using the pinkie on the bottom hole? (People say it only takes a little bit of getting used to. I don't play that way, though.)
/Bloomfield
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

I only have an 8cm 3-finger stretch and fairly skinny fingers to boot, but with a lot of practice and patience I can now play a low D with very little difficulty.
It's a huge leap going to a low D from a soprano D, and I gradually worked my way down to it one key at a time.
I did get a bit impatient and jump from a low G right down to a low D, but I would have been better off if I had stuck to my original plan and moved down to a low F and then a low E or Eb first.
My hands cramped horribly for weeks, but I finally managed to reach a point where I no longer had to strain to make the stretch.
I still cannot play for extended periods without my right wrist getting sore, but perhaps that too will go away in time.
I would recommend some moderate hand exercises because it helped me a great deal, but several of the more "enlightened" members of this forum frowned upon the suggestion when I mentioned it in an earlier post.
Hang in there and don't give up, if I can manage with my small hands so can you.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
DrRichard

Post by DrRichard »

I was ready to *burn* my Low D (thank goodness Dixon Low D's don't dent when you bang them on things :grin:) when I was making the switch, but trust me, you do get there. Stick at it. It could easily take a couple of months before you get comfortable.

There's a pretty good book called "The Low Whistle Book" which is a pretty good read (funny, too) if you need more pointers than you get here.

Richard
selkie

Post by selkie »

Sounds odd but it helped my get my brain to remember the bottom stretch. I have a piece of blue tack stuck at the back for my thumb. I find I am getting the stretch better and my RSI isn't kicking in.
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

Moyre357,
That is too cool. Severna Park is maybe 4 miles from my house. Finally another local beginner with an itch for low whistles.

I left you a private message with details of how to get a hold of me. I'd be glad to get together and try all the suggestions folks post to your topic. I've been playing low-d about a year using piper grip and would be glad to show you how I massacre it.

Knowing there's a local whistler just made my day.
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
Moyre357

Post by Moyre357 »

This is such a great site. I love talking with all the other whistlers.
As for how long I've been playing, well it's been a slow go. I've started and stopped a few times, now I'm beginning to get more serious. I love the sound of the low D and checked around a lot before getting mine, which by the way only just arrived. I know it will be a challenge but I'm sure with lots of practice I'll get it. I do know about the pipers reach. , guess that's what makes my hand cramp up. That's why I got a Tony Dixon, it's rated the best especially for beginners.
Thanks to everyone for the advice.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Some winter (or dry weather) playing tips... if your hands are smooth and dry, try hand cream as it can help soften the skin making your fingers cover the holes better. Also, turn the instrument to the side instead of playing directly in front of you. You can rotate the head slightly. It may improve your grip.
Graphics Guy

Post by Graphics Guy »

Ummmm...Just how much bigger is the Dixon Low D compared to his Low G ?. Reading this I'm gettin kind of worried here. See mine arrives the 27th..Hopefully.

Dan
Hey Moe, Hey Larry, Hey Fellas, Whoooo Whoooo Whooooo
christina

Post by christina »

yes...believe me..i'm a new beginner for a low d ...i boughtthe overton low d 2 monthsago......the fist day i received the whistle i got really upset becoz i didn';t expect it to be that big.....i can't play it at all././...but now..///practise makes perfect and now i can play it although i meet some difficulties sometimes.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Graphics Guy wrote:
Ummmm...Just how much bigger is the Dixon Low D compared to his Low G ?. Reading this I'm gettin kind of worried here. See mine arrives the 27th..Hopefully.
Dan
Fear not Dan... I'm 6' tall with average sized hands. You won't have a problem. Don't overblow the low first octave and the low notes will be sweet and clear. I prefer the Dixon over an Overton or Susato.
Graphics Guy

Post by Graphics Guy »

Cool..I'm 5, 10 with really long fingers..So I shouldnt have a problem with it then

Dan
Hey Moe, Hey Larry, Hey Fellas, Whoooo Whoooo Whooooo
Moyre357

Post by Moyre357 »

Hi Christina,
I felt the same way when I got my whistle, didn't expect it to be that big. I think it's gonna take a lot of practice. You inspire me to try and not be intimidated by it. Thanks, Happy Low Whistling!!
BigEvilGrape

Post by BigEvilGrape »

i used to have trouble plaing my low whistles, but after a little while of playing my fingers libered up and i could more easily reach the holes and where more comforitable
Walt

Post by Walt »

Thanks for these notes. I was feeling bad about having trouble with my Dixon Low D. From the reviews I thought it would sing from the first moment.

I'm finding that practice is really helping with the low E and D notes. The pipers grip seems best for me.

I move from my Dixon Soprano to the Dixon Low on each song I'm learning. It helps me learn the song with less stress.

My Dixon has 2 long score marks on the windway. Any idea why?

Thanks, Walt

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Walt on 2002-03-22 19:59 ]</font>