Text Messages to Ireland from the US

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Joyce
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Text Messages to Ireland from the US

Post by Joyce »

Hello - I have a Nextel cell phone (a higher end model) and have been doing some text messaging to friends over in Ireland. But sometimes the service is really terrible. For the past four days, I haven't been able to receive or send texts overseas. I called tech support and was told there was a power outage in a data server or something like that. What the heck?? That's unacceptable and totally unreliable!

I'm organizing a few concerts here in Vermont and trying to coordinate things with musicians overseas and it's really great to be able to text back and forth! But right now I'm ready to throw my damn phone out the window! :-)

So I'm seriously looking into switching my service to another company. Who here from the US does a lot of texting to Ireland?? How's the service? Who would you recommend? I don't mind paying extra for some decent service!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Joyce
brianc

Post by brianc »

I didn't even know that was possible... do you pay extra for that service?
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

When I was in Ireland in 2003 I had a T-mobile phone from the states. I got it unlocked by T-Mobile, and bought a Vodafone pay-as-you-go SIM card.

By putting the international prefix on the phone number I was texting to, I was able to text to America. I think it cost me 25 cents (euro cents, that is) per message. In Ireland/England, receiving messages (and calls, for that matter) is free.

I was successfully able to send and receive messages with an american on T-Mobile. I was unsuccessful in attempts to text to/from another american using Verizon. I don't know why.

Additionally, when I was in Italy I used the international roaming on my T-Mobile plan (a free add on, you just have to request it. Flat rates depending on your location). For 40 cents US I was able to send text messages overseas. I sent regular text messages to my T-Mobile friend as well as email text messages to several other people (texting to an email address is an option with T-Mobile, I don't know about other phones).

Right now, I still have my T-mobile origin phone but no longer have a t-mobile account. I have a pay-as-you-go SIM card with a british system called Fresh (which I am told is run on the T-Mobile network, incidentally).

I think I have about 10 pence left on my account, so I can't text a reply, but if you want to test sending a message to me you're welcome to. I don't know how much it costs to send an international text on Fresh. If you want to test at any point, email me.
Joyce

Post by Joyce »

Anyone from the US have a good plan with T mobile? Any interuptions with texting?
***CONCERTS I'M ORGANIZING IN VERMONT AT THE RICHMOND LIBRARY***

Denis Liddy & Dermot Lernihan from Ireland!
Saturday February 19, 2005, 7:30pm

Sliabh Notes
Thursday March 3, 2005, 7:30pm
Roger O'Keeffe
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

brianc wrote:do you pay extra for that service?
Is the Pope a Catholic?

(Maybe not, but I have my suspicions :wink: )
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
Joyce

Post by Joyce »

Actually, in case anyone is interested, you can text to Ireland using Verizon Wireless. They are partners with Vodafone which explains the reason it's been pretty reliable. I just got a new phone yesterday. So far so good!

Joyce
***CONCERTS I'M ORGANIZING IN VERMONT AT THE RICHMOND LIBRARY***

Denis Liddy & Dermot Lernihan from Ireland!
Saturday February 19, 2005, 7:30pm

Sliabh Notes
Thursday March 3, 2005, 7:30pm