Another England Test Cricket Victory - Huzzah!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Another England Test Cricket Victory - Huzzah!

Post by Martin Milner »

We don't discuss cricket nearly enough here on C&F.

England just won another splendid victory, putting them 2-1 up in the Series vs South Africa.

We've won 11 out of our last 12 tests. (It's always we when we are winning, and they when we are losing).

Having grown up during the decades of English Cricket Doldrums, I think a polite ripple of applause, a cup of tea and and almond slice would go down nicely.

clapaclapaclapaclapaclapaclapaclapaclapaclap

slurp

scrunch munch mmmh lovely.
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Go England!

I'm confused by the word "test" in your sentence. I would consider a test being a precursor to the real thing.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Flyingcursor wrote:Go England!

I'm confused by the word "test" in your sentence. I would consider a test being a precursor to the real thing.

The "test" is of ones patience as you sit for hours wondering if anything exciting will happen.

My sixteen year old son is a fanatic so I get to see a whole lot of nothing a whole lot of the time... :roll:

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Flyingcursor wrote:Go England!

We call them Test Matches in the context of a trial of strength. Same in Rugby.

In essence, you're right, because if a team lose a test match, it's not the end. They go away, practise, maybe change players, and try again in the next Test.

What can you expect from a game that lasts five days, stops for rain, bad light, streakers, and regular meal and tea breaks?

I must admit, it's rather embarrassing for an Englishman for our team to be winning against our former colonies. As a rule we support the underdogs, which is usually us. No doubt this is why the news is very quiet about our successes, and we have headlines like

"South Africa Come Second - Give them a cheer"
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Yes it was splendid, though there were moments when I feared the worst.
Flyingcursor wrote:I'm confused by the word "test" in your sentence. I would consider a test being a precursor to the real thing.
Ah, but this is a test in the true and olde worlde sense of the word. A veritable trial, something to be endured over five long days. And none of yer slug-eating lobsters-down-yer-undies Japanese TV endurance nonsense, I should say not. But a *real* test.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Congratulations England. Jolly good show, what!

England's real test will come later this year, I think. :wink: Any predictions, Martin?
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Wombat wrote:England's real test will come later this year, I think. :wink:
Careful there Wombat. We don't really want to have to explain to the Americans just what the prize is for winning the 25 day battle between England and Australia. They'd never believe it.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

BTW, I doubt that many people here would appreciate how big cricket is in quite a large slice of the world.

Last monday, there was a hastily arranged match for tsunami relief played at the Melbourne Cricket Ground between an Asian team and a Rest of the World team. Although the ground is currently under reconstruction, a capacity crowd of 80,000 attended with supporter groups from all over the region affected and the rest of the world happily intermingling. Some of the banners from Asians present were touching in their gratitude, to put it mildly. The game was televised live to 122 countries with an estimated viewing audience of a billion. (If that seems excessive, remember that cricket is the most popular sport in India which has a population of one billion.) The proceeds in Australia from that day alone were $A14,500,000 +.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

jbarter wrote:
Wombat wrote:England's real test will come later this year, I think. :wink:
Careful there Wombat. We don't really want to have to explain to the Americans just what the prize is for winning the 25 day battle between England and Australia. They'd never believe it.
True enough. Have you ever seen the true size of that urn?
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Wombat wrote:Congratulations England. Jolly good show, what!

England's real test will come later this year, I think. :wink: Any predictions, Martin?
Ah, yes, we are playing Bangladesh in a two Test series. :D

Then we get slaughtered... unless it rains for three months straight.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Martin Milner, you are a defeatist and should be ashamed of yourself. :roll:
(BTW, my name is John)
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

jbarter wrote:Martin Milner, you are a defeatist and should be ashamed of yourself. :roll:
I am, without question, ALWAYS ashamed of myself, JB! :wink:

Actually, the pundits are predicting it will be very close this time round, and if we can't nab back a small urn containing the ashes of a burnt pair of bails, we might as well, er, insist that the real trophy resides at Lords Cricket Ground, and give the Aussies only a small replica which we got out of a Christmas Cracker.

As my birthday falls during the Third Test, I may be able to persuade Beth to sit and watch a whole day's play on TV, or maybe even get tickets to go up to a game at Lords or the Oval. If they haven't sold out already.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

jbarter wrote:Martin Milner, you are a defeatist and should be ashamed of yourself. :roll:
So you are expecting rain for 3 months? Will the ashes series be played in Bangladesh during the monsoon season.

Actually I'm expecting the closest contest in about 15 years. Just how close is another matter. Clearly England has its best team in ages.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Take a whistle with you Martin. There must be a goodly selection of cricketing tunes you can play. :) (Practice Waltzing Matilda just in case. :( )
(BTW, my name is John)
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

jbarter wrote:Take a whistle with you Martin. There must be a goodly selection of cricketing tunes you can play. :) (Practice Waltzing Matilda just in case. :( )
Which reminds me, The Positively Testcard did a great rendition of the Test Match TV Theme Tune (can't recall the proper name, is it Soul Limbo?, but you know the tune I mean), on their mini-album "The Indestructible Beat of South Norwood", so we managed to drag this thread on topic!