The Beatles vs. The Monkees

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

The Weekenders wrote:
The Beatles combined a British music hall tradition and other current styles in Europe at the time, with rock, whereas groups like the Animals and Stones stuck with just mostly and blues for the early part, anyway. I think you could argue that the Beatles led those other groups to be more experimental as time went on. I didn't know much about the music hall thing until I heard and learned about Leo Sayer, and got other accidental glimpses via television mostly into earlier 20th century Brit entertainment. I guess it was similar to American vaudeville. I think the Beatles parodied yet acknowledged it with the whole Sgt. Pepper thing.
I agree that music hall is a surprisingly pervasive influence on British rock of the 60s and later. Until maybe Fairport Convention, having a British element in your sound simply meant having a music hall element. I'd say even Ian Dury and Sham 69 have music hall elements. Early English rockers used to do pantomine at Christmas and that was part of what it was to be an entertainer. Although music hall existed in Australia, it was long gone by the 60s and no rock bands incorporated elements of it into their act or their songwriting.

I don't think the Beatles really milked this idea until Sgt. Peppers and that's an album I don't regard as rock music, by and large. That's the album I regard as overrated; I much prefer their earlier records.

But Beatles' melodies were often too sweet and infectiously innocent to be considered pure rock plus they used non-traditional harmonic schemes. I guess that I AM willing to keep a tighter definition of rock than you, Wombly. But I have always felt that the Beatles were "something else" besides rock-n-roll.

If Buddy Holly counts as rock and doo wop counts, then so do the Beatles. The same innocence is evident here. I think any tighter definition would characterise rockabilly or something that narrow. In America, often doo wop is what first comes to mind when you mention vintage R&B, at least that's how collectors think.
I profoundly disagree that Bossa Nova does not approach the British Invasion music in importance.

Are you really saying it's influenced pop music outside Brasil to the same extent? Watered down bossa is certainly to be found in the repertoire of every MOR lounge act but I'm sure you can't mean this. Lots of jazz artists have recorded Beatles songs but this sort of thing is pretty superficial I think. The bossa influence on jazz goes deeper but so does the Afro-Cuban influence; the latter goes back at least to Juan Tizol in the Ellington orchestra of the late 30s and includes the music of Machito and Chano Pozo, some in collaboration with Gillespie and Parker.

BTW, Americana seems to me to be proving an increasingly fertile influence on jazz. Probably all jazz musicians were influenced by some styles—blues and show music are obviously right at the heart of mainstream jazz. But recently a couple of stunning albums have come out honouring music that was rather less often allowed to be influential. I especially have in mind Bill Frissell's albums and in particular Have a Little Faith in which Stephen Foster songs rub shoulders with Madonna and Muddy Waters.
And, no, maybe SERIOUS rock critics (I love Frank Zappa's quote about 'em) don't use that term British Invasion, but you knew who I meant when I used it, that's all.
I don't read too much into what you personally mean by it (I hope) and I suppose I know who you mean. I really don't know in great detail which British bands did and which didn't have American hits and tours; that meant nothing to Australians who tended to be incredulous (and a bit smug) about the fact that Americans in the 60s often seemed the last people to find out about the latest trends worldwide. When you realise just how successfully American music had imperialised the world in the 20th Century you'll probably see that this is a bit like an American dream team losing in Olympic basketball. While the music was loved, the arrogance that accompanied it was resented. (I bet this theme is beginning to sound familiar.) Of course, 'swinging London' was probably two parts advertising hyperbole to one part reality as well.

The reasons I hate the phrase 'British invasion' in the mouths of American rock critics is first that it is an attempt to steal what needs to be earned—the idea that their taste (and level of awareness) defines what matters in 60s music. To read critics like Dave Marsh, you'd think that their first experience of hearing the Beatles in college dorms in the 60s is of something more than autobiographical interest. What matters much more is how the music was experienced where it was made and the global patterns of diffusion into broader markets.

The second reason, and again Dave Marsh is an example of the worst tendencies, is the fantasy that garage rock is principally an American phenomenon in part contemporaneous with British beat and in part reactive to it. In fact it crops up at about the same time, and independently, right through the English speaking world and beyond. A good corrective here is the two box sets that go by the title Nuggets. The original is wholly American and goes back in concept to an early double album compiled by Lenny Kaye in the early 70s. The follow-up box set features music from elsewhere and is every bit as interesting as the original. But even this just scratches the surface. For example, the Australian hit of Louie Louie by a band called the Pink Finks blows the socks off the better-known version by the Kingsmen. This stuff is well-known by collectors worldwide but the most prominent critics wouldn't have a clue. It wouldn't take much effort to find out; I put down their failure to two parts laziness to one part xenophobia.

:wink:
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Wombat, that's hardly a fair comparison, America vs. Australia as far as world markets go. The US is no more world-aware now than they were then. But that really doesn't matter, when you've got a market as big as the US. They don't need to look any further. The term British Invasion is very appropriate from the point of view that musicians from other countries were able to take American music, filter it through their local sensibilities, and sell it back to the US for big bucks. The invasion was on the American market, so the term is/was very apt.

Another thing to consider is that, although there are some regional anomolies, the American market is very homogenous compared to someplace like Europe, where you just have to spit and you'll be in a new country with a different language, culture and history, so its no wonder that the European market is so much more open to what is going on in the rest of the world. Although I don't claim to be any sort of expert, I am told Japan is similar to the US in that, everything seems to need to be run through a Japanese filter to make it more digestable there. If the market is large enough to be self-sustaining, they can afford to take whatever world view they choose, and the US market certainly qualifies for that.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

djm wrote:Wombat, that's hardly a fair comparison, America vs. Australia as far as world markets go. The US is no more world-aware now than they were then. But that really doesn't matter, when you've got a market as big as the US. They don't need to look any further. The term British Invasion is very appropriate from the point of view that musicians from other countries were able to take American music, filter it through their local sensibilities, and sell it back to the US for big bucks. The invasion was on the American market, so the term is/was very apt.
I think you've missed my point. It's a critic's job to understand a music not an industry. My point was that the term 'British Invasion' is used by American critics to define a style of music and not a commercial event. It's used that way as an excuse for not bothering to understand how rock took root worldwide. If you don't believe me, just start reading the Rolling Stone take on rock history and then do a bit of research of your own. You don't have to bother researching Australia; just see how many influential British bands didn't make it in America. By 'influential' I mean both that they were successful elsewhere and that they had an influence on subsequent developments, most of which did have an impact in the US. Writing out acknowledgement of this influence, which is part of what I'm complaining about, is of course no worse than writing out acknowledgement of the influence of black music on subsequently popular white styles—except that more Americans are aware of the latter bias than the former.

BTW, the American market is bigger than any other single market but I doubt that it was bigger than the other markets for rock taken collectively. So even if you want to write rock history in economic rather than artistic and stylistic terms, you still have an unjustified America-first bias when it comes to the 60s.
Another thing to consider is that, although there are some regional anomolies, the American market is very homogenous compared to someplace like Europe, where you just have to spit and you'll be in a new country with a different language, culture and history, so its no wonder that the European market is so much more open to what is going on in the rest of the world. Although I don't claim to be any sort of expert, I am told Japan is similar to the US in that, everything seems to need to be run through a Japanese filter to make it more digestable there. If the market is large enough to be self-sustaining, they can afford to take whatever world view they choose, and the US market certainly qualifies for that.

djm
Again my point was about critical credibility and not about commercial clout. The fact that the American market is big enough and insular enough for the critics to get away with telling their audience comforting lies doesn't mean that those with a broader perpective have to go along with it.

Japan's an interesting case. Japanese fans of Western culture—sport and music—are perhaps more fanatically purist than people from anywhere else in the world. A Japanese team just won an Australian football tournament and the degree to which they had absorbed not just the intricacies of the game but also of the sourrounding culture was astonishing. The best Japanese jazz musicians are astonishingly good.

BTW, in case you missed it, at the bottom of the last page I've tracked down a source for that Santo and Johnny record you wanted.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Wombat wrote: Are you really saying it's influenced pop music outside Brasil to the same extent? Watered down bossa is certainly to be found in the repertoire of every MOR lounge act but I'm sure you can't mean this.

The reasons I hate the phrase 'British invasion' in the mouths of American rock critics is first that it is an attempt to steal what needs to be earned—the idea that their taste (and level of awareness) defines what matters in 60s music. To read critics like Dave Marsh, you'd think that their first experience of hearing the Beatles in college dorms in the 60s is of something more than autobiographical interest. What matters much more is how the music was experienced where it was made and the global patterns of diffusion into broader markets.

The second reason, and again Dave Marsh is an example of the worst tendencies, is the fantasy that garage rock is principally an American phenomenon in part contemporaneous with British beat and in part reactive to it.
Thanks for such an interesting and informative post. You are much better read about it than I.

I will stick to my guns that Bossa Nova has infiltrated and influenced many styles beyond nightclubs, and yes the Latin "Invasion" of the 30s, with the dances and Cugie, Carmen, Desi and everybody at least set a pathway for later Americans to "discover" it and vice versa for the musicians from Brazil etc. I am perhaps too fond of it to be objective.

Most people credit Stan Getz for introducing Bossa to America, but I think Charlie Byrd gets equal credit. And in both cases, it was changed somewhat by their way of playing it not for the better. Count me as one of those mossbacks who hates saxophone on Bossa. Plenty of native Brazilians are completely cool with it.

Man, I don't read rock critics so fire away at Marsh and anybody else you want. I tried that in the 70s, accepted Zappa's characterization (people who can't write, writing about musicians who can't play for people who can't read... or something like that). It's so pretentiously weird....

I also think that Baby Boomers hang onto rock and its culture more than necessary or will be proven to be of cultural importance in the long run. I firmly like the idea that rock is for today's kids and I don't need to know all about it to validate myself. I hate oldies stations, if you hadn't figured that out! I would infinitely prefer to hear what's new, even though you have to dredge through the forgettable, whereas the past stuff is pre-filtered for you by time and taste (speaking of radio here).

AND, I will only mention the garage band thing to add just one sidebar. I read a pretty good bio about the Beach Boys and the author pointed out the coincidence of the Wilson boys, Fender guitar factory, the beach, Wham-O frisbies, dry lake-bed racing fun etc being all within a fairly close proximity. The author talked a lot about our DustBowl to SoCal migration, the shiny new neighborhoods and the idle youth congregating after school. Old Man Wilson really milked it for the moment and the Beach Boys resulted.

There was a special kind of garage band thing happening out here, but at the same time, the Beatles were doin' heavy duty in Hamburg I guess and you couldn't get much more of a pressure cooker for new rock music than that and the Cavern later (from what I have read)...' I think its a suburban American thing though, to only fathom garage bands here...

I think you have od'ed on Americans trying to claim their own perspective as universal on this and I agree. Being a fan of Bossa Nova, I pretty much bristle when I hear Americans taking too much credit for influencing the Brazilians to create it, when they had a continuous popular music culture going back to Choro days, including the more sophisticated harmonies and their own evolution, which explained the progress towards Bossa and beyond.

Interesting stuff.
Last edited by The Weekenders on Fri May 20, 2005 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
IRTradRU?

Post by IRTradRU? »

All this talk about 'The Beatles' and 'The Monkees'... I can't believe no one has mentioned 'The Archies' yet.

:D
IRTradRU?
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Sugar.........honey-honey!

Also, two words: Shirley Jones!
Last edited by The Weekenders on Fri May 20, 2005 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IRTradRU?

Post by IRTradRU? »

Woooo!

Bubble gum overload!

:D
IRTradRU?
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Great stuff in this thread..

Our good friend Walden, in another thread, is seeking votes on the finest contributions to our little community.
'Tis my own belief that there is nobody can even get close to Wombat. Betwixt his knowledge of music and his ability to think things through, not to mention his ability to make it understandable to simple minds such as mine..and I am not alone here,let's be honest. He gets my vote.
BTW, I never liked the Beatles..I do respect their place in popular English history, but given a choice I would rather listen to somebody else..Ian Dury would be a good starting place. A very English kind of guy....

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Yeah, Wombly is the compleat poster, to be sure.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Okay, more thoughts about this Wombat.

Right now, whose music do you think is being played more in the world?
Bossa Nova or Beatles?

I discussed this with a work chum and she felt that the Beatles were more culturally influential but that Bossa Nova is more musically important... or at least, is "musician's music" that probably does not get the respect that it deserves. Debatable of course but an interesting view.

I think that the minute you start playing Beatles music, you have to go through a lot of careful motions to either not be imitative nor "wreck" the tune, whereas Bossa and samba pretty much allow innovation, improvisation etc etc...
IRTradRU?

Post by IRTradRU? »

Wombat wrote: I think you've missed my point. It's a critic's job to understand a music not an industry. My point was that the term 'British Invasion' is used by American critics to define a style of music and not a commercial event. It's used that way as an excuse for not bothering to understand how rock took root worldwide.
Good point!

Most folks in the US were too busy listening to Perry Como to take the time to really hear the new style.

Also, I think that demographically speaking, the Beatles and indeed the rest of the "British Invasion" had the benefit of timing on their side. The early 60s was when the 'Baby Boomers' were coming into their teens, the large percentage of them, and they were looking for something more to their music, and, let's face it, Perry Como, Bing Crosby, et. al. is what their parents were listening to! **shudder**

Rock took root because they had an entire generation ready, willing and able to support it's new-ness.
IRTradRU?
IRTradRU?

Post by IRTradRU? »

The Weekenders wrote:I think that the minute you start playing Beatles music, you have to go through a lot of careful motions to either not be imitative nor "wreck" the tune, whereas Bossa and samba pretty much allow innovation, improvisation etc etc...
The Beatles were officially 'mainstream' the first time they were played on the Muzak system in the elevator. :)

Fair point about 'Bossa', though. There's only so much that can be done with so many styles of music.
IRTradRU?
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

There were a few steps in between Perry Como and the Beatles... Buddy Holly, Elvis, etc., etc., etc.....
IRTradRU?

Post by IRTradRU? »

susnfx wrote:There were a few steps in between Perry Como and the Beatles... Buddy Holly, Elvis, etc., etc., etc.....
Holly & The Beatles were getting inspiration from each other, so was Elvis.
IRTradRU?
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

A very interesting view no doubt..
I don't see a vast difference between "Culturally influential" and "Musically important".
I have not got the smarts to get into a semantic argument here but I have always thought that a good musician, with a tendancy towards improvisation, would be equally at home with the Beatles music as with Bossa Nova.
It's all down to building on what you've got and using your imagination, is it not?
A serious knowledge of your instrument would help, I suppose :wink:

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats