Developing an attack

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
amar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Lambchop wrote:
amar wrote: and when you speak they go from open to closed, depending on how many vowels you use at the beginning of a word.

:)
After reading this out loud, I notice a little hitch in front of every leading vowel. Then, whilst whistling and saying "ah," I notice the same little hitch.

So, to do this on whistle or flute, I should simply blow, but say "ah" whereever I want the hitch to be.

How very annoying it is to not have a flute here with me at work. I'd be running out to the chopper pad to practice instead of writing this note.

This has been a really wonderful thread. Thank you, all.
yes lambchop, it is exactly that little hitch which is a glottal stop.
herbivore12
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by herbivore12 »

bradhurley wrote:You create the final "t" sound in "uht" by closing off my windpipe instead of using your lips.
How is my closing off your windpipe going to get me anything (except a murder conviction)?

:wink:

I have trouble with actually vocalizing the glottals, too. Almost a grunt sound, sometimes (though usually not so loud). But you know, sometimes I like hearing that sound on recordings. A little oomph never hurt anyone, and it somehow makes the performer sound more, I don't know . . . real? human? close? Something like that.
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bradhurley »

herbivore12 wrote:
bradhurley wrote:You create the final "t" sound in "uht" by closing off my windpipe instead of using your lips.
How is my closing off your windpipe going to get me anything (except a murder conviction)?

:wink: .
Well, at least it would stop me posting all this foolish nonsense!
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

amar wrote:
Lambchop wrote:After reading this out loud, I notice a little hitch in front of every leading vowel. Then, whilst whistling and saying "ah," I notice the same little hitch.

So, to do this on whistle or flute, I should simply blow, but say "ah" whereever I want the hitch to be.
yes lambchop, it is exactly that little hitch which is a glottal stop.

:D Thank you!
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Tradman wrote:
Cathy Wilde wrote:

Finally, FWIW, he's often reminded me that he's been working at this very hard for a very long time, so don't feel stupid if you don't get it right away; it can take years to develop such subtleties.

Hope this helps a bit ....

cat.
THIS is so important. Thanks for reminding me gyrl!
No problemo, boyo! Good to see you back!
How's the flying?
Go to Savannah.

xo,
cat.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.