Physics Question: Are Eyeglasses Mechanical?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
jbarter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jbarter »

Science confuses me. I think I'll have a nice lie down in a darkened political thread. :sleep:
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Jeff Stallard

Post by Jeff Stallard »

GaryKelly wrote:http://www.britannica.com/ebc/article?t ... achine&ct=

which I submit is a more appropriate definition of 'machine' than the one found on the likes of hyperdictionary.com :)
That link says, "Device that amplifies or replaces human or animal effort to accomplish a physical task." A lens amplifies human effort to accomplish the physical act of seeing. Bada-boom bada-bing!!
"Reality is the computer hardware, and religions are the operating systems: abstractions that allow us to interact with, and draw meaning from, a reality that would otherwise be incomprehensible."
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Jeff Stallard wrote:However, the difference between a machine and a tool is that a machine must operate fairly independently.
Where does the "fairly independently" come from? A lever is a machine, so is a pulley; there's nothing independent about them, they need something (usually *someone*) to operate them in order to fulfil the requirement of work.

And not to get nitpicky, you'll note that light doesn't appear in the Encyclopaedia Britannica definition. Probably because the necessary components of "force and motion" don't apply to light. Your argument in respect of 'vector' is specious, since light has no mass.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

jbarter wrote:Science confuses me. I think I'll have a nice lie down in a darkened political thread. :sleep:
At least we quoted our sources, you liberal pinko! Oh wait, sorry JB, it's Amar who's the pinko 'round here :)
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

GaryKelly wrote:
jbarter wrote:Science confuses me. I think I'll have a nice lie down in a darkened political thread. :sleep:
At least we quoted our sources, you liberal pinko! Oh wait, sorry JB, it's Amar who's the pinko 'round here :)
You woke me up to tell me that? :x :wink:
(BTW, my name is John)
Jeff Stallard

Post by Jeff Stallard »

GaryKelly wrote:Where does the "fairly independently" come from? A lever is a machine, so is a pulley; there's nothing independent about them, they need something (usually *someone*) to operate them in order to fulfil the requirement of work.
I was going by another definition I found on the Web that was differentiating between machines and tools. I suppose it's moot in this case, so I'll just drop the "fairly independent" idea altogether.
And not to get nitpicky, you'll note that light doesn't appear in the Encyclopaedia Britannica definition.
Yes, and that disturbs me.
Your argument in respect of 'vector' is specious, since light has no mass.
A vector quantity defines velocity and direction, not mass. True, mass (or inertia rather) factors when calculating vector changes, but that's not the point. The point is that vector forces are very Neutonian, and vectors are highly relevent when discussing light.
"Reality is the computer hardware, and religions are the operating systems: abstractions that allow us to interact with, and draw meaning from, a reality that would otherwise be incomprehensible."
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Jeff Stallard wrote:A vector quantity defines velocity and direction, not mass. True, mass (or inertia rather) factors when calculating vector changes, but that's not the point. The point is that vector forces are very Neutonian, and vectors are highly relevent when discussing light.
I think I'll take up the pipes. It'll be easier to understand. :-? :-? :-?
(BTW, my name is John)
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Jeff Stallard wrote:A vector quantity defines velocity and direction, not mass. True, mass (or inertia rather) factors when calculating vector changes, but that's not the point. The point is that vector forces are very Neutonian, and vectors are highly relevent when discussing light.
But light is not Newtonian, it's relativistic. If you're going to insist that changes in vector count in the definition of 'machine', then you're saying a mirror is a machine, or any polished surface, or indeed a puddle of water, all of which modify a beam of light's vector.

Heh. I woke up JB!! :D
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Good night, of all the topics argued over here, this has got to be the silliest! :lol:
oh, by the way...a lever only becomes a machine when it is or has a pivot point or axis to accomplish work. But this opens up the argument of "which came first, the lever or the crowbar?" :lol:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Jeff Stallard wrote:A lens DOES do something. It alters the vector of light energy. It doesn't have to have cogs, chains, and bearings to be a machine. Anything that modifies energy to assist in the performance of tasks is a machine.
yeah, but a lense just sits there and lets things happen. not actively doing anything at all. i mean, is the newspaper on my table add: a machine because it reflects the light from the sun to my eyes?
Last edited by amar on Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
amar

Post by amar »

GaryKelly wrote:I refer you to my previous answer, and expand upon it by suggestion that a lens doesn't modify energy. Even if the lens were completely lossless, then energy in=energy out, and therefore no modification has occured at all.

Amar, a crowbar has no moving parts, but since it operates on the principle of a lever, it can be classified as a machine (since it performs work).
but only if the crowbar is made to work, by a person, the person is the machine, the crowbar is just a piece of metal.
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

amar wrote:
Jeff Stallard wrote:A lens DOES do something. It alters the vector of light energy. It doesn't have to have cogs, chains, and bearings to be a machine. Anything that modifies energy to assist in the performance of tasks is a machine.
yeah, but a lense just sits there and lets things happen. not actively doing anything at all. i mean, is the newspaper on my table because it reflects the light from the sun to my eyes?
interesting thought!
So, a stinky guy walks into a bar and by his very presence modifies the air in the room..... :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Tyler Morris wrote:"which came first, the lever or the crowbar?" :lol:
and why did the lever cross the road? :-?
(BTW, my name is John)
amar

Post by amar »

Jeff Stallard wrote:
GaryKelly wrote:http://www.britannica.com/ebc/article?t ... achine&ct=

which I submit is a more appropriate definition of 'machine' than the one found on the likes of hyperdictionary.com :)
That link says, "Device that amplifies or replaces human or animal effort to accomplish a physical task." A lens amplifies human effort to accomplish the physical act of seeing. Bada-boom bada-bing!!

but it also says: A machine may be further defined as a device consisting of two or more parts that transmit or modify force and motion in order to do work.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Dale, I demand you start a separate science forum so the rest of us can get some sleep. These scientific wallahs are trying to make us think. :poke:
(BTW, my name is John)