MEG (Review)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Kendra
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kendra »

This whistle is going to give Generations, and a lot of other cheap whistles, a real run for their money. Why?

1. It's tunable. Not only is it tuneable, but there is a mark on the back of the fipple so that after you move it for tuning, you just line the mark up to the seam and the fipple is re-aligned with the holes without having to "eye-ball" it. The fipple moves with a moderate effort so it stays in place while you play.

2. It's playable and in tune with itself. The second octave is easy to get, and I have gone to G'' without effort or loss of tone. Its breath requirements are minimal, considerably less than any other whistle I have, even in the upper octave(s). This does cause a problem, however, in that the lowest three notes it is VERY easy to break up an octave; the MEG does take a bit of breath control to play accurately, but was an easy adjustment for me to make. The OXX-OOO fingering for C natural is right on the money in both octaves, so far as I am concerned; since the tone is exactly in the middle between B and c-natural, it may seem a little flat to someone with perfect pitch, but it sounds in tune for every song I've played so far.

3. It's PRETTY!! The free MEG I got with my Shanna Quay order is the silver one with a black fipple. It has a matte finish instead of shiny and "chrome-ish", and it is one really classy looking instrument. It is also conical, which I find more pleasing to my eye than cylindrical, as well as easier to hold. It's also very light weight, almost as light as my Walton Guiness. In a recent thread, we discussed its competiveness with Generations because of the MEG's low price. Someone suggested that if there was a choice between Generations and MEGs at a shop, a beginner would be more likely to buy the Generation because it would look more "familiar" - but the MEG looks so classy that one glance would lead the beginner to favor the MEG. It LOOKS like a better and more expensive whistle.

4. It SOUNDS pretty, too. It's a very clear tone without much chiff, although it seems to have nice overtones so it sounds like a whistle rather than a fife, for instance.

5. Responsiveness - it responds very nicely at speed, and makes large "jumps" (or intervals) from one note to another up or down the scale easily. Some of the tunes I have had trouble with because of fingering and/or interval breaks proved easier to play on the MEG and sounded smoother than I've been able to get so far. It doesn't seem to have a problem with squeaking if you tongue too sharply, like my Walton's brass D does, for instance, and all in all it plays very easily.

6. Volume - It's very quiet, even for a Clarke, which is great if you have neighbors and to keep from waking the kids and/or driving your spouse nuts. It isn't a session instrument, but sessioners also probably appreciate being able to play quietly at times, and it's so inexpensive it wouldn't hurt to have one lying around just for practice.

There are one or two VERY insignificant negatives: The bore opening isn't perfectly round; there is a point at the seam (my Clarkes aren't perfectly round, there, either, but the MEG is a little more pointed). This doesn't seem to affect the sound. The solder on the seam isn't layed as perfectly as on the other Clarke seams, but you have to look to see it - there are no beads of solder sticking out or anything, and the inside seam isn't pressed as flat.

So, IMHO, I would highly recommend this whistle to a beginner (they are going to have to learn breath control anyway, regardless of whether they get a cheapie or high-end whistle). It's also a great solo and/or practice whistle. It's cheap enough you can carry along an extra one or two to hand out if you play a gig and somebody expresses an interest in learning. It's VERY much worth its price, and a nice-looking whistle to add to your collection.
<font size="small"><marquee>But
I'm just a beginner, so what do I
know...... </marquee></font>
Kim in Tulsa

Post by Kim in Tulsa »

But where can I get one? I wonder if ordering it is really cost effective? Will it end up costing the same with shipping as the regular (black with diamonds) Clarke the music store sells down the street?

I would dearly love to get my son one. But I can get a Feadóg shipped to me from Ireland for $7.50 total.

Kim
"Whistling women and crowing hens never come to no good end"
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I concur with all of Kendra's observations (when I posted about the potential for competition with Generation, I hadn't received my Meg yet...it is a very attractive whistle, and doesn't look at all "cheap"). Mine (also a free gift with purchase from Shanna Quay) is black, and I like the finish...it looks professional rather than "toy-like."

It's got a (how do I describe this?) <b>different</b> sound than I normally like...more airy than flute-like, but not at all unpleasant (actually, I guess I would describe it as a soft, warm tone rather than a bright tone). A MUCH better sound to my ear than the Clarke Original, which is just plain breathy. I guess if I had to compare the two (remembering that this is highly subjective), the Meg sounds as if it were designed to to have a soft, round tone, while the Original sounds like not a lot of thought went into it. I also appreciate the plastic headpiece...I've never liked the contrasting feel of wood on my lower lip and metal on my upper lip (just a personal wierdness, I guess).

My Meg (now officially named "Meg"...original, aren't I? :wink: The Cillian O Briain Improved it followed home has been dubbed "Lark") is my new car whistle for now (though I may bring it back in for after-hours practice...as Kendra noted, it is soft enough to be played without bothering my sleeping family, which is a major asset).

I think there is still a real savings advantage with this whistle, even with shipping (especially if you're ordering other things). If you can find it locally, the savings are immediately apparent...you could buy two of these for what you'd pay for a Feadog, and have change left over for the bus. I think it's an excellent beginner's instrument, and I woudn't hesitate to buy one for my daughter (if she hadn't already co-opted my Clarke Original and one of my Feadogs!).

Since they arrived together, I can't help but sing the praises of my new O Briain (the sweet lady Lark) as well. It's the sweetest, most responsive whistle I've ever played, and the more I play it, the better I like it. It speaks well for the Meg, I think, that it's easy for me to praise it even though it arrived in the same shipment as my new favorite...a lot of whistles out there would have suffered so badly by comparison to the O Briain, I'd have stuck it on the back of the shelf and forgotten about them, but my Meg is getting plenty of play time.

I think Clarke has hit on a real winner here.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Redwolf, I've been wondering if the black is as striking as the silver matte and black fipple. Is the finish on yours matte, or more like the Original and New Clarke's?

Kim - if you need other music products this month, you might take advantage of Steve's Shanna Quay free whistle with purchase offer; I think The Whistle Shop has them at a very low price, too, and I think that even with shipping they wouldn't be more than the Feadog. This is a really competitive whistle and, as Redwolf said, Clarke seems to have a real winner.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Hmmm...if I were describing the finish in terms of ordinary housepaint, I'd describe it as "satin"...somewhat reflective, but not highly glossy. The words "MEG by Clarke's" and the key note are gray...a pleasing contrast. It's a handsome whistle.

Redwolf
Kim in Tulsa

Post by Kim in Tulsa »

This is a really competitive whistle and, as Redwolf said, Clarke seems to have a real winner.
Well, I'm dying to get one...uh, for my kid that is...you know...for my kid...

:wink:

Kim
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Of course :smile:
RCORC

Post by RCORC »

Better get a couple, Kim, in case your kid umm..loses one. Yeh, that's the ticket!
Bob

The Whistle Shop does have them, if you get them shipped UPS the minimum freight weight is 1 pound, so you could get a few whistles at the same shipping charge as just one. Sorta justifies it, doesn't it?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RCORC on 2002-06-12 23:54 ]</font>
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

If you just ordered a Meg from Shanna Quay, would you get a free Meg with it? :grin:

In another thread I compared the Meg with the normal Sweetone. The normal ST does come in glossy black, but apparently most shops only carry the brighter colours. That, plus the dancing cowboy motif, makes it look like a toy. The Meg come is much more muted colours (previously I thought it only came in black) so it doesn't look like a toy.

Compared with the Original, I think the Meg is going to be much more consistent in quality, at least until the manufacturing process starts getting loose around the edges. The Clarke Originals can be very variable, presumably because they do not have consistency around the wooden fipple & window shape. The Meg head is identical to the normal Sweetone head, so it's a tried and tested winner.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
bozemanhc

Post by bozemanhc »

Yesterday I recieved two MEGs from The Whistle Shop. I had ordered them for my grandsons but after looking at them I rationalized that the youngest, 18 months, could wait a little while for his. The oldest chose the silver and left me with the black. I am very impressed with the tone, volume, and finish. My Sweetone is unpainted and not as nice as the MEG. I highly recommend this whistle.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bozemanhc on 2002-06-14 07:49 ]</font>
Kim in Tulsa

Post by Kim in Tulsa »

On 2002-06-12 23:49, RCORC wrote:
Better get a couple, Kim, in case your kid umm..loses one. Yeh, that's the ticket!
LOL!

the minimum freight weight is 1 pound, so you could get a few whistles at the same shipping charge as just one. Sorta justifies it, doesn't it?
I think Priority mail is just $3 for the first pound, right? I wonder how many I could get for under a pound? (I'm on a budget...)

Who would have thought I'd be wanting to buy whistles by the pound? LOL

Kim
StevePower

Post by StevePower »

On 2002-06-13 06:39, Martin Milner wrote:
If you just ordered a Meg from Shanna Quay, would you get a free Meg with it? :grin:
Trust you to think of that one, Martin!

Yes, you would.

Steve
Kim in Tulsa

Post by Kim in Tulsa »

I think The Whistle Shop has them at a very low price, too
I can't get one now...I'm on a tourniquet-tight budget right now. BUT, I mentioned it to a friend and linked her to the Whistle Shop Meg page. (This is the same friend that I originally told about whistles and after I bought my $7.50 Feadóg, she turned around and bought one of those really nice tweaked Clarkes from the Whistle Shop!) Anyway, she checked out the Meg and bought one! (I knew she would.) Then she had to have a case to carry them, so she bought one of them as well! LOL I pulled in a little business for Thom today!

I'll order mine next month.

Kim
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Perhaps if all of us in the Tulsa area asked the same local music store to stock them they would.
Reasonable person
Walden
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Got my MEG about two hours ago from Steve with my order of a songbook. All above is true. Its a very interesting cheapie and not unfriendly except for the dang metal seam. I was thinking about puttin duct tape to soften it but I don;t know if that would mess up the sound.

I also tried to see if the head would fit on my Bb ruined Gen but its too big.

My girlfriend, who is a 4th grade teacher, uses a whistle in her class for teaching history songs and sea chanteys and is considering a box order to give em out because I told her about the good things you guys are pondering in various places. She thinks you all are brilliant, even though she is starting to hate Irish music for some reason....

As Martha says, it's a good thing (don't worry, I can't stand Martha, she frightens me).

What is NOT true though is that the book Tin Whistle Legends has meticulous transcriptions of master whistlers (that's what I thought I was getting). There are a few transcribed solos from records but the vast majority of the book is made up of un-ornamented trad standards (see my whiny other thread on this topic). Its a good set but not the demystified careful transcriptions I had hoped for. Of course I'm keepin' it Steve and thanks for the handwritten postcard!

And hey, my copy is not from MEL BAY, but from Waltons!

Best to all.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The Weekenders on 2002-06-14 00:29 ]</font>