Geoff Wooff D Full Set for Sale

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Nick M

Geoff Wooff D Full Set for Sale

Post by Nick M »

Have just posted details of my GEOFF WOOFF D FULL SET FOR SALE on the NPU site for those who may be interested. I can supply more pictures and answer any questions via email. Cheers
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

The Gravinas one isn't it?
Nick M

Post by Nick M »

Yes. I bought the set from Mike Gravina in 2005. Since then, I've taken it over to Geoff in Ireland and France to have it re-reeded and a new body for the chanter made.
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Nick M wrote:Yes. I bought the set from Mike Gravina in 2005.
Why are you selling?
PJ
Nick M

Post by Nick M »

I'm a working musician based in London. Due to the hours I have to devote to instruments that earn my living, I'm far from doing Geoff's set justice. I'm lucky enough to have a practice by Dave Williams aswell, so I won't be waving my passion for the pipes goodbye just yet....
brianc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by brianc »

Nick M wrote:Yes. I bought the set from Mike Gravina in 2005. Since then, I've taken it over to Geoff in Ireland and France to have it re-reeded and a new body for the chanter made.
Can you explain what this means, please? Have never heard this term before...

:-?
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I recall Peter writing that the chanter holes had beenn scalloped (not by GW). This would explain why the body of the chanter would have to be replaced. Wasn't there also something about a previous owner staining or varnishing the wood of the drones and regulators as well?

If I'm correct, this is a photo of the set in 2005 when it was advertised on uilleannobsession:

PJ
brianc

Post by brianc »

PJ wrote:I recall Peter writing that the chanter holes had beenn scalloped (not by GW). This would explain why the body of the chanter would have to be replaced. Wasn't there also something about a previous owner staining or varnishing the wood of the drones and regulators as well?
Doesn't this mean that the chanter needs replacing, then?
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I have saw the set before Geoff returned it, as Nick said: he had made a new chanter.
PJ

Post by PJ »

brianc wrote:
PJ wrote:I recall Peter writing that the chanter holes had beenn scalloped (not by GW). This would explain why the body of the chanter would have to be replaced. Wasn't there also something about a previous owner staining or varnishing the wood of the drones and regulators as well?
Doesn't this mean that the chanter needs replacing, then?
I imagine that this is what Nick M means when he refers to a new body for the chanter. The chanter top/wind cap wouldn't need to be replaced. I imagine that the ferrules, mounts and keys of the old chanter could also be salvaged.
PJ
brianc

Post by brianc »

I see - thanks Peter & PJ.
buskerSean
Tell us something.: I am a walrus, I am a tea pot. John Lennon said that but people see him as a guru. Well,tell,you what he also almost became a piper asking Paddy Keenan to teach him. (bleep) got bored & went on the sitar and the rest is history.

Post by buskerSean »

so some bollox was scraping and hacking around with a Woof set :D what a _________ (add your term here)
stain

Post by stain »

so some bollox was scraping and hacking around with a Woof set , what a __STAIN?_______ (add your term here)
gregorygraham

Post by gregorygraham »

Where are the heresy police when you need them?
Gregory Graham
Toronto
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Nick, how long did you have to wait for the new chanter?