Is your child a Goth?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Is your child a Goth?

Post by Cynth »

-Frequently wears black clothing.
-Shows a declining interest in wholesome activities, such as: the Bible, prayer, church or sports.
-Complains of boredom.
-Sleeps too excessively or too little.
-Is excessively awake during the night.
-Demands an unusual amount of privacy.
-Spends large amounts of time alone.
-Requests time alone and quietness. (This is so that your chid may speak to evil sprits through meditation.)
-Disregards authority figures; teachers, priests, nuns and elders are but a few examples of this.
-Drinks blood or expresses an interest in drinking blood. (Vampires believe this is how to attain Satan. This act is very dangerous and should be stopped immediately.)
Oh dear. I'm afraid our black kitty, Lilly, may be a goth. She is definitely a very gentle goth, although I cannot say that she is soft-spoken :lol: .
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Cynth wrote:
-Shows a declining interest in wholesome activities, such as: the Bible, prayer, church or sports.
-Complains of boredom.
-Demands an unusual amount of privacy.
-Spends large amounts of time alone.
-Requests time alone and quietness. (This is so that your chid may speak to evil sprits through meditation.)
-Disregards authority figures; teachers, priests, nuns and elders are but a few examples of this.
-Drinks blood or expresses an interest in drinking blood. (Vampires believe this is how to attain Satan. This act is very dangerous and should be stopped immediately.)
Oh dear. I'm afraid our black kitty, Lilly, may be a goth. She is definitely a very gentle goth, although I cannot say that she is soft-spoken :lol: .
build a bridge out of her :P
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

Quite an amazing list! I'm particularly concerned with Goth Buddhists and other wild-eyed "Meditation" types. If we let our kids run amuck with THIS crowd...the streets will never be safe again! Oh, the violence!
crisoff...thank you so much for bringing us to our senses....
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

chrisoff wrote:
peeplj wrote:
rh wrote:Any teenage boy
I have it on good authority that teenage girls often share these particular interests.
Pfft. None I knew seemed to, or maybe that was just what they told me...
That's just what they're telling you, methinketh.

These particular interests are ubiquitous.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

One of my friends read the Bunnicula books when she was younger. It explains a lot.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
missy

Post by missy »

mine wear whatever is clean (they have to do their own laundry)
-Wears band and/or rock t-shirts.
Does Monty Python and the Holy Grail count?
-Wears excessive black eye makeup, lipstick or nail polish.
Only when Noah is in a musical or play.
-Wears any odd silver jewelry or symbols.
Does the "one ring" count?
-Shows an interest in piercings or tattoos.
Nate still doesn't have a tattoo - and he's in the Navy!
-Listens to gothic or any other anti-social genres of music. (Marilyn Manson claims to be the anti-Christ, and publicly speaks against the Lord. Please discard any such albums IMMEDIATELY.)
Nate listens to country and 70's rock, Noah listens to classical, folk and - GASP - Celtic.
-Associates with other people that dress, act or speak eccentrically.
Their parents????
-Shows an increasing interest in death, vampires, magic, the occult, witchcraft or anything else that involves Satan.
Noah's currently doing an English report on the paranormal.
-Takes drugs.
Benedryl?
-Drinks alcohol.
-Cuts, burns or partakes in any other method of self-mutilation.(This is a Satanic ritual that uses pain to detract from the light of God and His love. Please seek immediate attention for this at your local mental health center.)
No - but does blowing up army men with black powder count?
-Complains of boredom.
Well, DUH
-Watches cable television or any other corrupted media sources. (Ask your local church for proper programs that your child may watch.)
would the Blue Collar Comedy Tour count? How about Red Green?
-Plays videos games that contains violence or role-playing nature.
Noah used to have tornados hit all his cities in Sim City.......
-Makes Satanic symbols and/or violently shakes head to music.
P&G's man in the moon is Satanic, isn't it?

Oh - I got one - how about playing with a dog's bones? Noah got a dog elbow model at the vet this weekend (Noah's volunteering at the vet every weekend).
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

chrisoff wrote: -Eats goth-related foods. Count Dracula cereal is an example of this.
Thank goodness they didn't try to rope Count Chocula into this!
emmline

Post by emmline »

Forgot to mention memorizing jokes from Cap't Billy's Whiz Bang, and certain words creeping into their conversation. Words like "swell," and "so's yer old man."
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

Marilyn Manson? Poseur. This is Goth:

The bats have left the belltower
the victims have been bled
red velvet lines the black box
Bela Lugosi's dead
Rod Sprague

Post by Rod Sprague »

That list describes much of what I see and what goes on in my UU (Unitarian Universalist) church. We talk about Philosophy, Paganism, Wicca, Hinduism and Buddhism all the time, in a positive light and let them be members! “Any odd silver jewelry or symbols” definitely covers the flaming chalice jewelry many of us wear. Oh, and we ordain lesbians, gays, transgenders and bisexuals, and let them marry in our church and encourage them to be themselves, in public. We even have had two lesbian ministers minister to our congregation! I could go on.

The Portland Oregon UU church often lets pagans use the wooded lot they own behind the church. A statue in front of the church weathered and developed a crack in its head. Some of the more unbalanced people in the local community claim that the UUs place the ashes of infants sacrificed to Satan in the crack of the statue’s head. That kind of goes against our first principle; “The inherent worth and dignity of every person.”. We also don’t burn witches, for the same reason. If we did, we wouldn’t have anyone around to tell us what to do on a solstice or equinox, anyway. I don’t even believe in Satan, and I wouldn’t associate with him, as he doesn’t respect our seven principles, anyway.
Last edited by Rod Sprague on Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Rod Sprague wrote:I don’t even believe in Satan, and I wouldn’t associate with him, as he doesn’t respect our seven principles, anyway.
bad PR ya know...you should talk...might suprise ya :moreevil:
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Rod Sprague, excellent post! :) :) :)

I've been to U/U churches many times. They are a very sane and safe place.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
tansy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by tansy »

my lovely cat Tansy has goth lips, black and I dare say sweet
shy the blond water
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

-Eats goth-related foods. Count Dracula cereal is an example of this.
This is so awesome, I could pop.
I guess Devil's Food cake and Deviled crabs should be avoided, too.
-Watches cable television or any other corrupted media sources. (Ask your local church for proper programs that your child may watch.)
I guess at the time of printing, the Networks were still Holy.
Must be pre-FOX.
Anglorfin

Post by Anglorfin »

Father Emmet wrote:
-Associates with other people that dress, act or speak eccentrically.
-Drinks alcohol.
-Expresses an interest in sex.
These apply to my avatar alone!
I believe that was the crux of a joke in one episode.

And yeah that list is ridiculous though obviously also a joke.

Dangerous religions . . . PHILOSOPHY. God forbid people think for themselves. Free expression of thought is the enemy of any organized religion or political party.

Not that I have anything against any religion. I just hate Biblethumpers or any similar group.

And such a broad term, "Goth". Such a blanket generalization usually becomes popular when 'concerned people' misdiagnose or simply fail to address the actual issue in front of their noses. Anyway I reserve all other arguments for another thread. Too long.