Mushroom soup color

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
fel bautista
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Mushroom soup color

Post by fel bautista »

I just made some mushroom soup; 20 oz of crimini mushrooms, some chopped onion, about a quart of organic in the box chicken stock and a little bit of half and half. Came out tasting great, but the color- kind of a brownish grey is a put off. I carmelized the onions and the mushrooms, thinking it would be a lot browner, but it didn't

Anyone got suggestions?
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

That's why the color "mushroom" is a brownish gray.

One website I saw said you need to scrape the gills off the mushrooms before using, or they'll give it a nasty color. Did you notice any gills? (Ick)

You could just not look at it, I suppose? Sprinkle a lot of croutons on top so it's disguised?

Use some Bovril?

Here's a recipe from Lauren Groveman's Kitchen that has a picture of really nice, yummy-looking, toasty-brown mushroom soup using beef stock.

Last edited by Lambchop on Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cotelette d'Agneau
fel bautista

Post by fel bautista »

Gills are the dark stuff underneath the mushroom cap itself. Hmmm.... I used chicken stock which "neutral" in color. Didn't have any beef stock to try. Maybe next time. I'd assume it would be more brown like the picture.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Lambchop wrote:That's why the color "mushroom" is a brownish gray.

One website I saw said you need to scrape the gills off the mushrooms before using, or they'll give it a nasty color. Did you notice any gills? (Ick)

You could just not look at it, I suppose? Sprinkle a lot of croutons on top so it's disguised?

Use some Bovril?

Here's a recipe from Laurel's Kitchen that has a picture of really nice, yummy-looking, toasty-brown mushroom soup using beef stock.

That's not from "Laurel's Kitchen." LK is a vegetarian cookbook! The chef for this one is "Lauren."

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Redwolf wrote:
Lambchop wrote:That's why the color "mushroom" is a brownish gray.

Use some Bovril?

Here's a recipe from Laurel's Kitchen that has a picture of really nice, yummy-looking, toasty-brown mushroom soup using beef stock.

That's not from "Laurel's Kitchen." LK is a vegetarian cookbook! The chef for this one is "Lauren."

Redwolf
Caught me red-handed! I apologize for any upset this has caused you, Red. Lord forbid I should cast a shadow on vegetarianism!

I corrected the original post. Since you copied it into your's, I can't change it there. That's ok, though. It's perhaps best that people realize I have flaws.
Cotelette d'Agneau
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

A little paprika would make it a richer colour.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
chas

Post by chas »

One reason your soup came out lighter than you wanted is the cream. I have an old cookbook called "Mushroom cookery" from the 40's that I picked up in a used bookstore. I tried the cream of mushroom soup and found I liked it better before I put the cream in. Now I add a little corn starch instead of cream, and I like it much better. It's a nice rich brown color, too.

It's possible to darken it up by blackening the onions, but they'll overwhelm the mushroom flavor and completely change the character of the soup if you blacken them. I do a kind of pancakes stuffed with a mushroom sauce made with blackened onions. It's very tasty but I wouldn't want to make it into soup.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
dwest

Post by dwest »

:boggle:
Last edited by dwest on Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

I made fettucini alfredo with portobella mushrooms once. What an ugly shade of gray that was.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
fel bautista

Post by fel bautista »

i realized that when I rehydrate Shiitake mushrooms, the water is a nice brown. I shall try that. Maybe tonight since my son's coming over for dinner.

Looks like I need to go find dried porcinis as well.
Last edited by fel bautista on Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chas

Post by chas »

fel bautista wrote:i realized that when I rehydrate sh*t mushrooms, the water is a nice brown. I shall try that. Maybe tonight since my son's coming over for dinner.
I'm not gonna comment on the brown water, but I suspect this is the curse filter striking again, in a very humorous way. ;) Probably want to spell them with two i's.

BTW, fresh shiitakes are entirely different from dried ones. They have a faint horseradish taste. They'd probably make awesome soup.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

I suppose we shouldn't discount the possibilities afforded by . . . food coloring. :)
Cotelette d'Agneau
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Lambchop wrote:I suppose we shouldn't discount the possibilities afforded by . . . food coloring. :)
Mild Paprika. Same-same.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
fel bautista

Post by fel bautista »

OOPS- fixed Shiitake- who knew???
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

I don't care what color it is. It sounds delicious!
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird