Treasure Island soundtrack

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Pyroh

Treasure Island soundtrack

Post by Pyroh »

Right - I finally got it in my grasps and it´s sooo good (actually, I like it more than most other Chieftains stuff).

I have few questions though - are tunes there original compositions, or traditionals? Thank you very much :-)
LorenzoFlute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LorenzoFlute »

i love that movie, and i love its music!
the only tune i recognized is "the cup of tea", that you find on the track called "the hispanola" i think. "Blind Pew" sounds traditional as well, but i'm not sure about it. dont know about the others.
Great music anyway :)
Pyroh

Post by Pyroh »

Othannen wrote:i love that movie, and i love its music!
the only tune i recognized is "the cup of tea", that you find on the track called "the hispanola" i think. "Blind Pew" sounds traditional as well, but i'm not sure about it. dont know about the others.
Great music anyway :)
Thanks, you´re right about the Cup of tea.

Indeed, the movie is awesome too (it was probably my first experience with irish music, even though I didn´t know it was irish at that time).

Plus, I believe that the tune in Spyglass inn is some version of Star of the county down, but it didn´t make it to the soundtrack (pity, I guess).
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

I have the Chieftains' album "Film Cuts" which contain 8 tunes from Treasure Island and they are all listed, "Music Composed and Arranged by Paddy Moloney." That doesn't necessarily mean though that they aren't based off traditionals.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Thanks for the pointer, Steamwalker. I was going crazy trying to identify the soundtrack. There have been dozens of film version of Treasure Island, and I figured that the Muppets version was not the right one. :-)

Of the Chieftains tunes, the traditional ones are:

Blind Pew: The Hut in the Bog
http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/4305

Treasure Cave: Langstrom's Pony
http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/61

The Hispaniola: The Cup of Tea
http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/20

The other tracks sound composed, or taken from other sources. For example, the "Silver and Loyals March" sounds like a set dance or a Playford dance, but I can't identify the source.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

yeah thanks a lot MTguru!!! its always nice to find the names of tunes you can play :D