HELP!: Guitar accompaniment for the GHB

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
canpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

HELP!: Guitar accompaniment for the GHB

Post by canpiper »

Hey Folks,

I'd appreciate any advice anyone might have about playing accompaniment for the Highland pipe on guitar. Tuning, chord progressions - any insights would be helpful.

I'm especially interested in playing for hornpipes and jigs.

Thanks!

James
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

Hi James,

Here's the input I got when I asked that question of our piper's forum.

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=50670

It isn't as easy as it sounds. GHB use an archaic scale and are just tuned rather than tempered. Getting in tune with them is very tricky.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
canpiper

Post by canpiper »

Thanks Tim! That's a start.

I've played both instruments for years, but have never tried to reconcile them. Playing with other instruments isn't really in the culture of the GHB (with the exception of drums, of course). It's becoming clear to me why that is.

I find that I can get by with a capo on the first fret, playing basic chords in A, but if anyone has some other ideas, or ideas about chord progressions in particular, it would be appreciated. In fact, any other advice out there would be very welcome! I'm supposed to be playing with someone live soon, and I'm doing a lot of head scratching at the moment.

J.
Baglady

Post by Baglady »

You don't play guitar with GHB. That is why they have drones. It's like playing guitar with a pipe organ. I just attended a pipe organ concerto and the organ drowned out the large chamber orchestra. It's a nice idea but just doesn’t work in the end. And the organ has a volume control unlike the Pipes.
Baglady
Put the music under thier feet and lift them to the dance.
Oh, and,
"If you want to play chords, use standard tuning. It is better." --Martin Carthy
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

Hi again James,

I assume you'er guitar is amplified? That's the only way you'll stand a chance against a GHB, as Baglady points out. Otherwise it won't matter one whit what chords you play or don't!
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
canpiper

Post by canpiper »

Baglady wrote:You don't play guitar with GHB. That is why they have drones. It's like playing guitar with a pipe organ. I just attended a pipe organ concerto and the organ drowned out the large chamber orchestra. It's a nice idea but just doesn’t work in the end. And the organ has a volume control unlike the Pipes.
Oh, Baglady! Guitar sounds fantastic with the pipes! I've recorded and performed in concert with guitar and pipes - I've just always been on the pipes! If you've never heard it done really well, you should check out recordings featuring the Cape Breton guitarist Dave MacIsaac (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF-JDAdQyXo). One of the first recordings with him playing with pipers that I ever heard was this:

http://www.allcelticmusic.com/music/f97 ... Door).html

The piping is a tad unpolished, but that's part of the charm of the album I think, and the guitar accompaniment is great, and too sparce, if anything (check out track 8 especially).

Unlike Dave, however, I have no pretentions to play note for note with the pipes. Simple accompaniment suggestions is all I'm looking for:). I'm not quite as confmortable being the one responsible for making the two instruments fit together! It's nice being a piper and letting everyone else play to you:)
canpiper

Post by canpiper »

Tim2723 wrote:Hi again James,

I assume you'er guitar is amplified? That's the only way you'll stand a chance against a GHB, as Baglady points out. Otherwise it won't matter one whit what chords you play or don't!
The event will be well mic'ed...and that's the problem really :(

I would think very highly of anyone out there capable of keeping me from making a fool o'meself...
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

I have that Open the Door CD but had forgotten all about it. Now I'll get it out and listen.

I have a small amount sheet music for pipe tunes that I've collected over the years for one reason or another but I don't play pipes. I have played bouzouki and occasionally 5-string banjo with the pipes-both small pipes and uilleann pipes. Never with GHB as far as I can remember. I had a look at some of the tunes yesterday. There are both some dance tunes and some pipe marches. I couldn't suggest any chord sequences for most of these as the chords have to be tailored to the particular tune except in the case of the "double tonic" type (A, G, A G, etc.). It looks to me like the chord changes can be quite varied for pipe tunes.
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Hi James ... Hesitating to jump in here, because I don't normally accompany GHB, only ITM. But I might tune in drop-D or DADGAD, then play out of the following positions for these common keys:

Bb (A) - Capo 3, G position
Cm (Bm) - Capo 3, Am position
Eb (D) - Capo 1, D position
Fm (Em) - Capo 3, Dm position

By Bb (A), I mean of course the GHB key of Bb-ish which, if I understand correctly, is usually notated conceptually as A. And so on.

If your guitar has a cutaway with enough room up the neck, these might also work with a lighter, more delicate sound:

Bb (A) - Capo 8, D position
Eb (D) - Capo 8, G position
Fm (Em) - Capo 8, Am position

Capo 1 in A position certainly works for the Bb (A) tunes, as you said, particularly in standard tuning. But A always seems somehow the least trad sounding and most awkward of the standard tuning keys for this sort of music, at least to my ear.

As for GHB + guitar, with the right sound and mike setup I'm sure it can sound just fine. Good luck with the gig!
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Sober Sam

Post by Sober Sam »

I was playing some songs at the cast bar of the Basel Tattoo last summer, when this piper from the Gordon Highlanders (in full dress) comes up to me with his pipes, asking "do you know Yellow submarine?"
I said yes, listened to his pipes for a moment, then tuned my guitar up or down (don't remember which) one quarter step and used Barrée Chords from there. After the Beatles Classic we played Scotland the brave and Rowan tree and maybe some more. It was a lot of fun and that's how I learned how to play guitar with GHB.
By the way: For some superb examples of of Pipes in a folk band, listen to the Battlefield Band.
Why do people use aluminum to put beer in it, if you can make whistles out of it?
canpiper

Post by canpiper »

Thanks for the suggestions everyone - and the Battlefield band was a great one. I'm not sure why I didn't think of that, but I've just picked up a few things from watching them on ebay.

I've had less success with DADGAD, but that's probably my limitation.

There's a few days left, and I'm still open to suggestions.

Thanks again everyone!

J.
Tweeto

Post by Tweeto »

Another band to look into for examples a'plenty: The Tannahill Weavers
Check out: Folding@Home!
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

Have you tried DADEAE tuning? I haven't explored it much, but it does seem to be a little friendlier with the key of A than DADGAD does.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

canpiper wrote:Thanks for the suggestions everyone - and the Battlefield band was a great one. I'm not sure why I didn't think of that, but I've just picked up a few things from watching them on ebay.

I've had less success with DADGAD, but that's probably my limitation.

There's a few days left, and I'm still open to suggestions.

Thanks again everyone!

J.
Thread resurrection -

Another band to check out is Cantrip - A youngish Scottish band in the mold of Tannahill Weavers with a bit more modern of a sound. 1 piper, 2 fiddles, 1 bouzouki player. They are very good.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
trad

pipes and guitar

Post by trad »

They can work well. I have done so, unamplified!!! tune up I just tune up to the pipers A, on a spanish guitar this is OK. Then I play in a very percussive style, short brutal chords, , a bit like a Numetal guitar style. I have spent most of my life backing ITM and also play the pipes so am already familiar with the styles. That is pretty essential really. You need to know what chords go where, typical progressions etc.

Its A mixolydian or D major mainly, the occasional Bm DAG.[ key?]

Good luck. enjoy.javascript:emoticon('8)')